User Tag List

First 23456 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yeah, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. It's comforting to believe/know that our elected officials are misguided or deluded rather than venal (and I think most are). However, who was it that wrote "attempts to create Heaven on Earth invariably end up creating Hell?"
    Eh, hard to say if it's better or not. It's really your two basic villains. Misguided crusaders and selfish sociopaths. All I was saying is that it wouldn't be surprising if Hannity believed in himself enough to think it a good idea to be president (though he'd be horrible).

And then Bush's popularity shot through the roof and he was reelected rather easily.
    Well, that needs to be a bit corrected. The WTC attacks did cause his ratings to sky-rocket, but he already carved it down by 2004. Bush was the least popular incumbent to be elected to a second term in American history, and he did not win easily. It was not a big electoral gap, and was one of the smallest margins of victory an incumbent ever had, in terms of popular vote percentages. In fact, I figure if 2000 hadn't already exhausted people, Kerry would have challenged it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    YaYa

And then Bush's popularity shot through the roof and he was reelected rather easily.
    That is true.Everyone rallied around bush's fuck up.

It was kind of fun for once having a crazy ass leader that would bomb the shit out of anything and all foreign powers were scared of. Showed how much clout the US has.

But much political goodwill has been lost since then.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Eh, hard to say if it's better or not. It's really your two basic villains. Misguided crusaders and selfish sociopaths. All I was saying is that it wouldn't be surprising if Hannity believed in himself enough to think it a good idea to be president (though he'd be horrible).
    Yeah, that wouldn't be good. A shitload of fun, though.

Well, that needs to be a bit corrected. The WTC attacks did cause his ratings to sky-rocket, but he already carved it down by 2004. Bush was the least popular incumbent to be elected to a second term in American history, and he did not win easily. It was not a big electoral gap, and was one of the smallest margins of victory an incumbent ever had, in terms of popular vote percentages. In fact, I figure if 2000 hadn't already exhausted people, Kerry would have challenged it.
    I think 2.4% (3 million or so popular votes) and 35 electoral votes was pretty good considering how divided the country was at the time.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Only because people were scared. Then they got wise, and he left office with the lowest approval rating of any president ever.
    That isn't really relevant to the discussion, though. The point is that Obama could end up like H.W. Bush if A) the economy still stink two years from now; and B) the GOP nominates someone electable.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That isn't really relevant to the discussion, though. The point is that Obama could end up like H.W. Bush if A) the economy still stink two years from now; and B) the GOP nominates someone electable.
    Lots of things that have been said in this thread weren't relevant to the discussion. Like "Clinton only won because he was a Southern white" or Bush's popularity sky-rocketed after 9/11...do you honestly think that the way people react to animal fear after a national catastrophe is relevant to this discussion? But, you know, you feel a need to point out that you don't find this relevant to the discussion because it doesn't support your world view.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yeah, that wouldn't be good. A shitload of fun, though.
    The problem is that me and almost everyone I care about lives in the USA. I'll pass on the fun

I think 2.4% (3 million or so popular votes) and 35 electoral votes was pretty good considering how divided the country was at the time.
    Yes, but that's the point right there. Most incumbents do better because they don't let it get that divided.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Clinton did not win because he was a Southern white. And why was onemoretime surprised that a Republican from Texas took the South?

The whole theory is fail. I think I illustrated that by saying that Obama won because he was black and Kennedy won because he was a Catholic: these factors obviously worked against them, not for them. I'm thoroughly convinced that the more rabid Republicans want to see Obama's birth certificate precisely because of his African heritage.
    Umm... HW was as Connecticut Yankee as they got. Even though he lived in TX for 30 years, we still saw him as somewhat of an outsider. His son on the other hand, completely the opposite.

Gore didn't win because W "out-southerned" him. Besides, Gore was as much from DC as anywhere, having spent practically his entire life in the city. It wasn't too hard for W to cast him as an outsider, especially given the accents of the two individuals.

Clinton won because a white Southern Democrat was enough to make white Southern voters comfortable enough to relapse into their New Deal Coalition voting patterns. And yes, given the nature of Southern Politics, the race mention is absolutely necessary. We're talking about a specific brand of regional politics here, not national politics.

Democrats couldn't win before 2008 without winning in the South. That's changed now. That's the important part.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Lots of things that have been said in this thread weren't relevant to the discussion. Like "Clinton only won because he was a Southern white" or Bush's popularity sky-rocketed after 9/11...do you honestly think that the way people react to animal fear after a national catastrophe is relevant to this discussion? But, you know, you feel a need to point out that you don't find this relevant to the discussion because it doesn't support your world view.
    What is my world view, exactly?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What is my world view, exactly?
    Now that REALLY wasn't relevant to this thread.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The problem is that me and almost everyone I care about lives in the USA. I'll pass on the fun
    I have never voted for a winning candidate in any election, so you'll have to pardon my flippant attitude toward national elections.

Yes, but that's the point right there. Most incumbents do better because they don't let it get that divided.
    The country was bitterly divided in 1972 and Nixon obliterated McGovern. The situations change all the time.