User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

What I don't get is why Hannity would do it. I'd much rather be on the radio/TV and get paid upward of $20 million a year. As far as I know, he'd have to give up his radio and TV programs as soon as he filed with the FEC. His paid media appearances would be considered illegal campaigning.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The point was that politics can change very rapidly. As for controlling Congress, that didn't last very long, did it? And I think you underestimate just how far to the left of the general electorate Pelosi and her crew are; like the Republicans before them, they are mistaking a "throw the bastards out" mentality with an ideological mandate, alienating moderates and disillusioned center-rights who might not have even noticed a stealthier implementation of their agenda.
    Clinton won because he was a Southern white. That's it. Southern whites vote for other Southern whites in national elections, almost invariably. That Bush won as much as he did in the South was the more interesting part.

This is also what makes last year's election even more indicative of a realignment in American politics. Until last year, a Democratic candidate had to win some Southern state in order to win the Presidency. It had been that way since Roosevelt. Consequently, politics in many ways revolved around the region, simply due to structural issues.

That Obama won the election without needing to win a single Southern state (including Florida, which isn't particularly culturally Southern among the majority of the population, and VA/NC, both of which are undergoing cultural realignment leaning more toward the Mid-Atlantic states) is a huge change for the Democratic victory strategy, and a very bad sign for the influence of Southern states in national politics. It's also why the GOP being essentially a Southern rump party affects their long-term prospects so negatively. The Democrats can essentially ignore the South and not be deleteriously effected on a large scale.

The current crop of Democrats (including Obama) grew up in the old paradigm, which explains somewhat why they haven't just rammed legislation through (along with procedural issues)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

So Obama won because he's black? And Kennedy won because he was Catholic?

Fail.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Clinton won because he was a Southern white. That's it. Southern whites vote for other Southern whites in national elections, almost invariably. That Bush won as much as he did in the South was the more interesting part.
    I don't think its the sole reason. Gore lost his home state because he's not a "real Southern white" lol

Race matters of course, but their mentality, thoughts, etc... still matter. And the more outstanding they are, it can even overcome their racial barrier to success. And for a sizable minority, it doesnt' matter how outstanding you are, but thankfully, its just a minority.

Gary Locke, an Asian American became Governor of washington even though Asians only make up 4% of Washington state. Of course, he did resign because of death threats by white supremacists... but thats another story.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What I don't get is why Hannity would do it. I'd much rather be on the radio/TV and get paid upward of $20 million a year. As far as I know, he'd have to give up his radio and TV programs as soon as he filed with the FEC. His paid media appearances would be considered illegal campaigning.
    If everyone were completely cynical, no one would become president. There are much better careers for that. I use this as evidence that most people who become president, no matter how misguided they are, actually have some belief in their own public service.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I don't think its the sole reason. Gore lost his home state because he's not a "real Southern white" lol

Clinton did not win because he was a Southern white. And why was onemoretime surprised that a Republican from Texas took the South?

The whole theory is fail. I think I illustrated that by saying that Obama won because he was black and Kennedy won because he was a Catholic: these factors obviously worked against them, not for them. I'm thoroughly convinced that the more rabid Republicans want to see Obama's birth certificate precisely because of his African heritage.

MBTI
    YaYa

Obama actually looks terrible compared to Bush in "success" when comparing Obama of August 2009 with Bush of August 2001.
    And then came September 2001:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjWQrU8kbE"]True Leader[/YOUTUBE]

Hannity would do better than most other candidates. People want to elect a TV star........the popular kids.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    If everyone were completely cynical, no one would become president. There are much better careers for that. I use this as evidence that most people who become president, no matter how misguided they are, actually have some belief in their own public service.

Yeah, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. It's comforting to believe/know that our elected officials are misguided or deluded rather than venal (and I think most are). However, who was it that wrote "attempts to create Heaven on Earth invariably end up creating Hell?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    And then came September 2001
    And then Bush's popularity shot through the roof and he was reelected rather easily.

Hannity would do better than most other candidates. People want to elect a TV star........the popular kids.
    Sadly, Reagan Lite is EXACTLY what many Republicans would love to elect nowadays.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

And then Bush's popularity shot through the roof and he was reelected rather easily.
    Only because people were scared. Then they got wise, and he left office with the lowest approval rating of any president ever.