User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INxJ

Default John Stewart Pwns Betsy "Death Panels" McCaughey

McCaughey appeared as a guest on The Daily Show on August 20th, 2009 to discuss the controversy around the supposed "death panels".[76] In the wake of the interview, which resulted in widespread ridicule of McCaughey's claims, she resigned from her position on the Cantel Medical board.

Betsy McCaughey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video 1: Video: Exclusive - Betsy McCaughey Extended Interview Pt. 1 | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Video 2: Video: Exclusive - Betsy McCaughey Extended Interview Pt. 2 | The Daily Show | Comedy Central

Edit: I misspelled his name.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are my heroes.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Really good interview. And it's great that he can still seem nice and pwn at the same time. In the political world, most people just seem like dicks when they call someone out.

She probably thought the interview was going to be great press for her.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I enjoyed watching it. I haven't seen him get really riled up about something in a while. Good fun
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'm afraid after reading her bio that I am not convinced that she honestly believes what she is saying in the interview.

Way too much conflict of interest on health care reform and on her work as a patient advocate. I mean, honestly. She founds a patient advocacy/lobby group to fight the spread of infections diseases in hospitals and she also just happens(ed) to be on the board of directors for a company that sells medical equipment.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm afraid after reading her bio that I am not convinced that she honestly believes what she is saying in the interview.

Way too much conflict of interest on health care reform and on her work as a patient advocate. I mean, honestly. She founds a patient advocacy/lobby group to fight the spread of infections diseases in hospitals and she also just happens(ed) to be on the board of directors for a company that sells medical equipment.
    What people do and say never contradicts each other. Ever.

Aside from that, it doesn't matter if she believes it. The issue is that she had no problem giving legitimacy to such an outlandish conspiracy theory. She cited her experience and PhD as credentials for knowing that "Death Panels" are real. She still has to take responsibility for those actions, and looking like a crazy fool.

Former Lt. Gov. Betsy McCaughey leads 'death panel' charge writing up talking points

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    What people do and say never contradicts each other. Ever.

Aside from that, it doesn't matter if she believes it. The issue is that she had no problem giving legitimacy to such an outlandish conspiracy theory. She cited her experience and PhD as credentials for knowing that "Death Panels" are real. She still has to take responsibility for those actions, and looking like a crazy fool.

Former Lt. Gov. Betsy McCaughey leads 'death panel' charge writing up talking points
    It was just that he said he believed that she believed what she was saying.

I'm not super-familiar with academic kudos, but she seems to have some pretty legitimate ones from legitimate places, which makes me think she is not stupid. That leaves just plain dishonest ideological whoredome, IMO.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The main thing I tried to get from the interview was to understand if she had a coherent arguement, which I don't think she did. At one point she says she wants a bill that spends a lot more money, and at another point she says her plan spends only $50 billion on the uninsured (compared to the current $1 trillion proposal). Not only do these ideas seem to be at conflict with one another, but if she had an alternative plan I'd think she'd spend more time actually explaining it. As it stands she mostly just wanted people to be scared about the government killing off grandmas. The whole arguement is just smoke and mirrors just to scare people, so they won't stop and think about what she's actually saying.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    she also just happens(ed) to be on the board of directors for a company that sells medical equipment.
    She had to step down right after the JS interview. Guess they didn't think she was so hot.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't agree with Jon Stewart's interpretation of the legislation, specifically his highlighting of the term "life sustaining". Terms like that can be twisted to mean anything. I thought McCaughey's interpretation of page 432 had some validity. Once the interview got away from specific passages in the legislation, McCaughey stopped making sense.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."