User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The first half was good. I agree with her interpretation of p.425-432 (I don't remember the exact pages... wherever it talks about end of life choices), and frankly don't understand how Stewart was interpreting those pages.

The second half, however, she definitely got killed. She gave no evidence about how the medicare cuts would translate to rejected operations for seniors. She used a "moving letter" from some random doctor which didn't do anything to support her view. She tried to emotionally manipulate the audience with the whole "Jon Stewart is rich and you're poor, and I'm on your side" bull shit (I paraphrased that quote, obviously). I mean, she sucked hard.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Maybe she just resigned under pressure from the press so she could run for president in 2012!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    She had to step down right after the JS interview. Guess they didn't think she was so hot.
    She wasn't very well prepped for it. Maybe they don't watch the show.

Video: Bill Kristol | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I doubt Jon had much of anything to do with her stepping down, but I think it is hilarious how the timing works out, that something bad happens to people after he drills them. I mean, I have never reason to believe Jon killed Crossfire, either, but look at the coincidence! For other people, who are generally more naive about coincidences, it really makes Jon look like he has powers.
    Never the less, even if he isn't that special, he does a good job of hanging people out to dry with his interviews, when he wants to. Usually, tough invterviwers have a hard time getting guests because big people avoid them. Why haven't people learned to avoid The Dailyshow yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe she just resigned under pressure from the press so she could run for president in 2012!
    That is, in fact, the only reason anyone has quit a job since 2008 started.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

This doesn't really seem to involve that much pwnage, frankly. I see a slight difference in interpretation about this bill but McCaughey's heart is in the right place, even if she's read something into the bill that isn't there. Of course Stewart's audience cheers for him every time he says anything; that doesn't really say much.

I'm a big fan of Jon Stewart. I've watched his show for years and I think it's hysterical.

I remember when he went on Crossfire and shot them down. I thought it was hilarious--"The show leading into mine is puppets making crank phone calls!" "You guys are partisan...what do you call it...hacks!"

But I'm starting to become more than a bit irritated at his self-righteous Fi crusades against people in politics that he's just positive are up to something nefarious. The problem isn't even that he's wrong, because he's often right--the problem is that he has no idea that there's any possibility he could be wrong, which is one of my biggest problems with Ji in general, but especially Fi.

He needs to make up his mind about whether or not he's a comedian. He launches crusades in the form of serious political attacks and "pwnage" (which is typically just his leftist audience mindlessly cheering after his every word), and then dodges serious criticism from others by hiding behind, "Well hey I'm just a comedian; my show is a joke!"

Well, which is it, Jon? Comedian or political crusader?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I almost completely disagree with SW, except that I also find the Dailyshow audience annoying (what's interesting is that Jon visibly finds them annoying sometimes, too).

Okay, I actually agree that it wasn't really anyone being owned either. Betsy is the sort of talking head that ignores reality. The people she deals with do not matter. The only thing that can make her look bad, is the rationality of the person observing her. If you are enough of a jackass to believe what she's saying in the first place, then you will eat up everything she says, even in that interview.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ So what exactly is it that you disagree with, then?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ So what exactly is it that you disagree with, then?
    I don't think Jon Stewart is going on a crusade. It does not strike me as his mentality, which I've followed pretty closely. I think he does view himself as a comedian first and foremost. and wants laughs. Laughs are bountiful in the world of political satire. As for some of this clear anger, Jon has explained how this works for him:

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stewart
    It saves me from sitting at home in my underwear screaming at the television set. If I didn't do this show I'd be the crazy guy at the bar sitting at the corner screaming "He doesn't know shit about what he's talking about!" That's the reason I do it.
    I don't think it's a crusade, because I don't think Jon has invested any idea in himself as someone who will change things. I don't think he's on a mission. It's a profession, an amusement, and a coping mechanism.

I don't see him as carrying a banner, either. In fact, he's said so many times that he doesn't. It always interested me when he would actually criticize his audience. Sometimes he'd get angry at them for booing his conservative guest, or cheering him on. And he often gets pissed when they don't laugh at jokes because they are made against leftists or liberals, like Jon blurting "just fucking accept it!" when nobody laughed at him mocking the Democrats after 2004. I wish I had the transcript, but I remember one time that Jon was on Larry King, explained that sometimes people would come up to him and say things like "I think you're very funny, and I love your show, but you made fun of global warming last week, and it's a very serious issue, and I'm never watching you again". He says people talk to him all the time, especially from the left, like they think he's supposed to be a flag barer for them, but he's not. He never said he was. As such, he is willing to mock things like global warming, if he sees something amiss. He's an equal opportunity offender, which is not typical of a crusader.

I guess you think he's some kind of FP, considering your talk of Fi. I think he's more likely ENTP, but that doesn't matter. One of the ways I most disagree with you, is that I think Jon constantly thinks he might be wrong (and so do I... Ji user). I see him has actually giving too much credit to a lot of people, putting too much faith in them. It was even mentioned in this thread, that he might be giving Betsy too much credit for thinking she's sincere. This is partly why Jon does frequently get conservatives that he does not get mean with (Mike Huckabee). He really, really, tries to believe, and he gets disappointed.

And I think Jon has no conflict of role or responsibility. Which one is he? He's a comedian. He has always said he's a comedian. He constantly takes chances to explain how uncredible his show is. By his own word, he has never been inconsistent. People like you are the ones saying he doubles as a crusader (which is a lot of presumption).

I have always found Jon's defense he rock solid, ever since his time on Crossfire. The Dailyshow is a five day a week, half hour long, comedy show. If the entire rest of the media, with all of it's professional journalists and 24 hours news networks, are losing a following to him, that's probably their fault. There is no compelling case to be made that they can't compete with him. People trust Jon because the media is failing to do what they should be doing better than him. In other words, his "crusader" position is essentially incidental, resulting from how much the media sucks.

Jon has said, and I agree, that when the media puts the onus on him, they are asking him to do something he can't feasibly do, and which they should be taking the responsibility for doing, and that putting it on him is basically a way for them to weasel out of getting any better. Some icons are made by their enemies. That would be true of Jon Stewart. He is revered because the media sucks. He doesn't have to do anything other than be a comedian, people will look to him because they have no where else to go. I don't blame him for it.

This was after Cronkite died.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Great interview, I don't think it was one of Stewart's strongest ever, but it was a little bit of special

If I like anything about Stewart, it's his transparency when it comes to his interviews and his encouragement to his audience to call him on bullshit if they get a whiff of it. He continually encourages people to find things out for themselves, if he has any agenda I think it would be that. Wanting people to cease taking interviews at face value and go dig deeper on issues.

I am thinking that woman did not know what she was in for, and I love it when they show up with their platforms tucked under their arm like that. She would have so easily gotten away with her tactics on so many other shows, just her manner of speaking and acting showed she was not there to truly communicate. She was so out of her depth, it was painful to watch her but also delicious.

She was so totally consumed by her act that it was like she could not even comprehend it when he was being purposely provocative toward her. Not saying I don't think she had genuinely good intentions she believed were right on some level, but she just reeks of puppet. I love when the puppets go on that show and are not prepared for contradiction, that moment when they just have to barrel forward with their agenda since they don't know what else to do without the hand of control up their ass to dictate their actions.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^^ VERY good post, Magic. Very, very good.

I was struck by how arrogant she seemed. How she kept interrupting him and saying stuff like "You're a nice guy, but you're wrong." It was condescending. A lot of pundits on both sides do that (though more Republicans than Democrats), and it really pisses me off every time. As to whether she's sincere or not, I have no idea.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!