User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default Bush Administration pushed to raise terror alert for re-election

A remarkable detail to be published in former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge's soon-to-be-released book asserts that the Bush Administration attempted to wield the color-coded terror alert system for political gain -- a charge often leveled by Democrats but not previously confirmed by a high-ranking Bush Administration official.

Ridge's publisher is pushing details from his book in advance of its release. Notable among them:

Tom Ridge, the first head of the 9/11-inspired Department of Homeland Security, wasn't keen on writing a tell-all. But in The Test of Our Times: America Under Siege...and How We Can Be Safe Again, out September 1, Ridge says he wants to shake "public complacency" over security.

And to do that, well, he needs to tell all. Especially about the infighting he saw that frustrated his attempts to build a smooth-running department. Among the headlines promoted by publisher Thomas Dunne Books: Ridge was never invited to sit in on National Security Council meetings; was "blindsided" by the FBI in morning Oval Office meetings because the agency withheld critical information from him; found his urgings to block Michael Brown from being named head of the emergency agency blamed for the Hurricane Katrina disaster ignored; and was pushed to raise the security alert on the eve of President Bush's re-election, something he saw as politically motivated and worth resigning over.

...Ridge has broken with the Bush Administration before. In a May interview with CNN's "State of the Union," Ridge said he could not support the former Vice President Dick Cheney's charge that Obama had undermined US national security.

Asked if he believed the country was now less safe as a result of Obama's policies, Ridge said: "I do not."

The Raw Story

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I am sure the American public will be hit with a slew of "tell all" books regarding the inner-workings of the Bush administration. My response to this is similar to when I heard Scott McClellan's criticisms: Why did you wait so long to speak up and if you felt things were so reprehensible, why didn't you resign?

It's good to finally get the truth on this point, but I hope this current administration can focus on investigating the torture allegations and proceed with prosecution. That is far more important and must be addressed if the US is ever going to gain any credibility back.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    I am sure the American public will be hit with a slew of "tell all" books regarding the inner-workings of the Bush administration. My response to this is similar to when I heard Scott McClellan's criticisms: Why did you wait so long to speak up and if you felt things were so reprehensible, why didn't you resign?

It's good to finally get the truth on this point, but I hope this current administration can focus on investigating the torture allegations and proceed with prosecution. That is far more important and must be addressed if the US is ever going to gain any credibility back.

Should our federal government have credibility? Every POTUS since FDR (at least) has done something impeachable.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's sensible to think that terrorists might pick election day to strike It makes perfect sense to raise the "terror alert" level. Kind of a non-story really as most people don't even pay attention to that color system anyway, and I doubt anyone made up their mind who to vote for based on it. It seems like the book publisher is really reaching for something to make the book sound interesting.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    Oh gee.

You know it's not that simple. It never is. It's always a thick complicated morass of needs, priorities, double blinds, coercions, and whatever else; and usually no matter what you choose, someone or something you love gets screwed in some way.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ

This strategy has been used by many civilizations.

Oberon

Remember when the Clinton administration launched airstrikes during the Senate debate on the impeachment vote?

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh gee.

You know it's not that simple. It never is. It's always a thick complicated morass of needs, priorities, double blinds, coercions, and whatever else; and usually no matter what you choose, someone or something you love gets screwed in some way.
    Of course I know it's never simple considering all the back-door politics, but some in Bush's admin. did resign, including many in the military.

I was mainly responding to the OP that stated Ridge felt it was "worth resigning over."

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Remember when the Clinton administration launched airstrikes during the Senate debate on the impeachment vote?
    Yeah, we totally vaporized that evil aspirin factory! It was great watching Wag the Dog come to life.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Yeah, we totally vaporized that evil aspirin factory! It was great watching Wag the Dog come to life.
    ^You are right about that

Joni Mitchell