Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    and your arguments about all business owners seeking to exploit the huddled masses is valid?

please, grow up.
    When did I say "ALL" business owners are seeking to exploit...the...the...huddled masses? Did you get that off of the statue of liberty dude?

I know better than to say "all, none, never, always" etc. I'm not Pure Mercury.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The upper-class wouldn't exist without the middle and working classes. Without people to step on, they'd have to scrub their toilets themselves.
    "the upper-class" (all of them?)

"step on" (exploit?)

"middle and working classes" (huddled masses, my hyperbole here)
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

you and marmalade, it would seem, are bent on painting people adding other perspectives to this conversation (ones that don't fit your world view) as greedy, closed-off, short-sighted bastards.
    Did you see that Simulated? We're bent on painting them as greedy, closed-off, short sighted bastards, even while he paints us unemployed welfare recipients who hate successful people because we don't fit his world view.

I guess it never crossed his mind that gainfully employed people who admire success could be liberals. I mean, I guess he's never heard of, oh say, the Kennedys.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

"the upper-class" (all of them?)

"step on" (exploit?)

"middle and working classes" (huddled masses, my hyperbole here)
    So you can use hyperbole and I can't? I see. There are just so many instances of hypocrisy here I don't even know where to begin.

It started when I began disproving your point that ALL upper-class people are a "better influence."

This has turned into a semantics debate, which means you've run out of meaningful things to say, and I obviously WINZ!!!!

By the way, if you think of the American middle class as "huddled masses" you certainly have some traveling to do.

MBTI
    INTP

Did you see that Simulated? We're bent on painting them as greedy, closed-off, short sighted bastards, even while he paints us unemployed welfare recipients who hate successful people because we don't fit his world view.

I guess it never crossed his mind that gainfully employed people who admire success could be liberals. I mean, I guess he's never heard of, oh say, the Kennedys.
    i'm not talking about anyone or everyone, i'm talking about you and what you've said in this thread and others.

i work with, i study with and i live with plenty of *thoughtful* liberals.

MBTI
    INTP

So you can use hyperbole and I can't? I see. There are just so many instances of hypocrisy here I don't even know where to begin.

It started when I began disproving your point that ALL upper-class people are a "better influence."

This has turned into a semantics debate, which means you've run out of meaningful things to say, and I obviously WINZ!!!!

By the way, if you think of the American middle class as "huddled masses" you certainly have some traveling to do.
    no, it's turned into a semantics debate because you're the very thing you claim you hate: a black and white type of person. this is clear from your posts.

but, if you're comfortable being so large a hypocrite then i suppose you can win by default. i will gladly hand you that trophy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

no, it's turned into a semantics debate because you're the very thing you claim you hate: a black and white type of person. this is clear from your posts.

but, if you're comfortable being so large a hypocrite then i suppose you can win by default. i will gladly hand you that trophy.
    But I'm not black and white. That's just how you've pegged me in your imagination, as this person who "hates success." This estimation is the result of your own limited thinking, and not my actual personality.

Your arguments are silly.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

i'm not talking about anyone or everyone, i'm talking about you and what you've said in this thread and others.

i work with, i study with and i live with plenty of *thoughtful* liberals.
    Nope. You said people like me and Simulated. Check your own post, man.

What's a thoughtful liberal? Someone who will listen to you yammer on about the superiority of the upper class without arguing with you?

I'm tolerant of my Ron Paul worshipping friends IRL, too. Hell, I even wrote an entire paper about libertarianism and weighed the pros and cons of it. That's what disgusts me so much about it - the fact that I'm actually educated on the subject. If I were truly ignorant of libertarian principals, I might be more tolerant of it. As they say, ignorance is bliss!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Usually so-called "professionals", their children, and their neighborhoods, are somehow a better influence, I'd agree with that based on my experience. There's more tendency to learn how to behave in a way that will lead to a non-degrading existence, less emphasis on brute force and strenght as a means of survival in society, overall less stress and a mindset which is more oriented towards learning, discovering new things, being open to the world, etc.

I've lived in a "bad" neighborhood when I was a kid, up to 10, then I moved to a "good" one afterwards, and I could notice the difference in mindset.

Said that, I don't believe that the upper you go the better the influence is. I've got two really rich "friends" (wouldn't call them that way) and they're kind of arrogant, money-wasters, and racist. It seems like there's a quadratic relationship between quality of socialization and wealth, where either too little or too much of it impairs the ability to relate to people on a growth-oriented level.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

"Professionals" are mostly middle class.

Just an observation.