User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Results 231 to 240 of 257

  1. #231
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    and your arguments about all business owners seeking to exploit the huddled masses is valid?

    please, grow up.
    When did I say "ALL" business owners are seeking to exploit...the...the...huddled masses? Did you get that off of the statue of liberty dude?

    I know better than to say "all, none, never, always" etc. I'm not Pure Mercury.

  2. #232
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The upper-class wouldn't exist without the middle and working classes. Without people to step on, they'd have to scrub their toilets themselves.
    "the upper-class" (all of them?)

    "step on" (exploit?)

    "middle and working classes" (huddled masses, my hyperbole here)
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

  3. #233
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    you and marmalade, it would seem, are bent on painting people adding other perspectives to this conversation (ones that don't fit your world view) as greedy, closed-off, short-sighted bastards.
    Did you see that Simulated? We're bent on painting them as greedy, closed-off, short sighted bastards, even while he paints us unemployed welfare recipients who hate successful people because we don't fit his world view.

    I guess it never crossed his mind that gainfully employed people who admire success could be liberals. I mean, I guess he's never heard of, oh say, the Kennedys.

  4. #234
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    "the upper-class" (all of them?)

    "step on" (exploit?)

    "middle and working classes" (huddled masses, my hyperbole here)
    So you can use hyperbole and I can't? I see. There are just so many instances of hypocrisy here I don't even know where to begin.

    It started when I began disproving your point that ALL upper-class people are a "better influence."

    This has turned into a semantics debate, which means you've run out of meaningful things to say, and I obviously WINZ!!!!

    By the way, if you think of the American middle class as "huddled masses" you certainly have some traveling to do.

  5. #235
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Did you see that Simulated? We're bent on painting them as greedy, closed-off, short sighted bastards, even while he paints us unemployed welfare recipients who hate successful people because we don't fit his world view.

    I guess it never crossed his mind that gainfully employed people who admire success could be liberals. I mean, I guess he's never heard of, oh say, the Kennedys.
    i'm not talking about anyone or everyone, i'm talking about you and what you've said in this thread and others.

    i work with, i study with and i live with plenty of *thoughtful* liberals.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

  6. #236
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    So you can use hyperbole and I can't? I see. There are just so many instances of hypocrisy here I don't even know where to begin.

    It started when I began disproving your point that ALL upper-class people are a "better influence."

    This has turned into a semantics debate, which means you've run out of meaningful things to say, and I obviously WINZ!!!!

    By the way, if you think of the American middle class as "huddled masses" you certainly have some traveling to do.
    no, it's turned into a semantics debate because you're the very thing you claim you hate: a black and white type of person. this is clear from your posts.

    but, if you're comfortable being so large a hypocrite then i suppose you can win by default. i will gladly hand you that trophy.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

  7. #237
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    no, it's turned into a semantics debate because you're the very thing you claim you hate: a black and white type of person. this is clear from your posts.

    but, if you're comfortable being so large a hypocrite then i suppose you can win by default. i will gladly hand you that trophy.
    But I'm not black and white. That's just how you've pegged me in your imagination, as this person who "hates success." This estimation is the result of your own limited thinking, and not my actual personality.

    Your arguments are silly.

  8. #238
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    i'm not talking about anyone or everyone, i'm talking about you and what you've said in this thread and others.

    i work with, i study with and i live with plenty of *thoughtful* liberals.
    Nope. You said people like me and Simulated. Check your own post, man.

    What's a thoughtful liberal? Someone who will listen to you yammer on about the superiority of the upper class without arguing with you?

    I'm tolerant of my Ron Paul worshipping friends IRL, too. Hell, I even wrote an entire paper about libertarianism and weighed the pros and cons of it. That's what disgusts me so much about it - the fact that I'm actually educated on the subject. If I were truly ignorant of libertarian principals, I might be more tolerant of it. As they say, ignorance is bliss!

  9. #239
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Usually so-called "professionals", their children, and their neighborhoods, are somehow a better influence, I'd agree with that based on my experience. There's more tendency to learn how to behave in a way that will lead to a non-degrading existence, less emphasis on brute force and strenght as a means of survival in society, overall less stress and a mindset which is more oriented towards learning, discovering new things, being open to the world, etc.

    I've lived in a "bad" neighborhood when I was a kid, up to 10, then I moved to a "good" one afterwards, and I could notice the difference in mindset.

    Said that, I don't believe that the upper you go the better the influence is. I've got two really rich "friends" (wouldn't call them that way) and they're kind of arrogant, money-wasters, and racist. It seems like there's a quadratic relationship between quality of socialization and wealth, where either too little or too much of it impairs the ability to relate to people on a growth-oriented level.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #240
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    "Professionals" are mostly middle class.

    Just an observation.

Similar Threads

  1. Are you a nice user or are you gonna get banned?
    By hommefatal in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 08-03-2016, 08:28 PM
  2. Things you just don't get
    By EcK in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 09:38 AM
  3. [MBTItm] NFs: Do you have problems with getting to know _NTPs in relationships?
    By Halfjillhalfjack in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 03:15 AM
  4. I am gonna get some beer from the gas station
    By entropie in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO