User Tag List

Sniffles

Default 'Cathedral' as old as Stonehenge unearthed

EVEN in an area as archaeologically rich as Orkney, it is being hailed as the find of a lifetime.

Experts have unearthed a Neolithic "cathedral" a massive building of a kind never before seen in Britain which has left them in awe of its scale and workmanship.

At 82ft long and 65ft wide, it stands between two of Orkney's most famous Neolithic landmarks, the Ring of Brodgar and the Stones of Stenness.

While impressive in their own right, they would have been dwarfed by the monumental building now uncovered and, in comparison, may have been peripheral features in the islands' Stone Age landscape.

Investigative work has been continuing at the Ness of Brodgar since 2003 and the site which dates back nearly 5,000 years is slowly giving up more of its secrets.

Nick Card, from the Orkney Research Centre for Archaeology, who is leading the dig, said the building was effectively a cathedral for the north of Scotland.

He said: "It's spectacular. There were hints at the end of last season that we had a quite enormous building here and now we are able to define it more."

The shape and size of the building are clearly visible, with the walls still standing to a height of more than three feet.

Far taller when built, they are 16 feet thick and surround a cross-shaped inner sanctum where the 40-strong excavation team have found examples of art and furniture created from stone.

The building was surrounded by a paved outer passage. The archaeologists believe this could have formed a labyrinth that would have led people through darkness to the chamber at the heart of the building.
    'Cathedral' as old as Stonehenge unearthed - Scotsman.com

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Very cool!

I can't seem to find any photos though

Nevermind, this blog has some photos of the excavations in progress:
    The Ness of Brodgar Excavations 2008 - July 21
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

moved some posts here
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

This is very cool! Thanks for posting, Peguy
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INTP

Nice, I can't wait to see 3D reconstructions of how it looked.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

By the way, have you heard about a real neolithic "cathedral", far larger and even more ancient than Stonehenge.

Like, for instance, the Cairn of Barnenez in western Brittany?

It is approximately 72 meters long, 25 meters wide, and contains 11 vaulted chambers.

It was erected around 4800 BC, two millenias and a half before Stonehenge or the earliest egyptian pyramids.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    By the way, have you heard about a real neolithic "cathedral", far larger and even more ancient than Stonehenge.

It is approximately 72 meters long, 25 meters wide, and contains 11 vaulted chambers.

It was erected around 4800 BC, two millenias and a half before Stonehenge or the earliest egyptian pyramids.
    Must have been the ancestors of the Basque peoples. I think the builders of Stonehenge and it's analogues are the same people from ancient Iberia.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post

All is right with the world - Blackmail is back.

And he is a wonderful landscape architect - if only he would tell us about Canberra, the Garden City, designed by the Chicago architect Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion.

I confess it's true I wear designer clothes and live in a designer city but what is the point unless everyone can see me.

And of course the first eye I want to catch is Blackmail's.