User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by stellar renegade View Post
    There are plenty of alternatives and you can be inventive and produce way better and healthier results, people are just lazy and love to serve the almighty dollar.
    Or, alternatively, other people just have different preferences and priorities than you do, and you are not going to change that (quite the opposite) by being a dick about your differing opinion.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The doctor was obviously trying to persuade people with blunt shock. I don't know if that's the best idea, I just don't see it being as big a deal is it was made out to be in the events that followed.
    Once again, its not that its such a big deal in itself (assholes are everywhere), its that most people take exception to public officials using their position and tax dollars to harass people for having the audacity to have different preferences and priorities (which is what "not listening" to standard health information really means) than they do.

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Or, alternatively, other people just have different preferences and priorities than you do, and you are not going to change that (quite the opposite) by being a dick about your differing opinion.
    That's why I was saying put a big emphasis on alternatives. And if they're good (and even better) then people just may have no reason to stick to the other.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Fruits and vegetables are highly portable, and not in need of refrigeration. They can be cut up beforehand, placed in a plastic bag, and carried in your purse.
    And they're usually slimy by snack/mealtime, having been carried around to the park or wherever I've been. It's frequently 90-100 degrees here, and I spend a lot of time outdoors with the kids. I still take fruits/veggies with me, I just need to, you know, refrigerate them, like I said in my post. Gel icepacks are a beautiful thing, but it's definitely more trouble than plunking a few quarters into a machine and pushing some buttons. And fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than crappy packs of crackers or cookies.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    If I jiggle like jello, it's none of your fucking business.
    however, unnecessarily taking up extra (my) space on a train, elevator, or plane is my business. avoiding the festering sweat trapped between your rolls of fat is my business. Taxing the already taxed health care system is my business.

but if shortness of breath from having to pump more oxygen to carry dead weight, poor fitting clothes attempting to hold up/cover your shapeless blob, and pathetically appearing to be unable to care about your own long term survival are what you want in life, then yea, go for it, be a fatty and please never impose your selfish girth over me in a communal society.

i worked at a supermarket in highschool. fat people don't buy vegetables...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    however, unnecessarily taking up extra (my) space on a train, elevator, or plane is my business. avoiding the festering sweat trapped between your rolls of fat is my business. Taxing the already taxed health care system is my business.
    I'll agree with this much, as you've made some pretty solid points.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The only problem I see is that he used a trademark and he's a public employee. That's it.

I don't have a problem with his message or tactics. He's a public health official. It's his job to grab peoples' attention.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Taxing the already taxed health care system is my business.
    Obese people really don't understand how much money they're costing everyone. The least of which is getting incredibly expensive hospital equipment in their size.

Obesity-related illnesses now cost $147 billion each year, according to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which is hosting its first ever "Weight of the Nation" conference here. Medical costs associated with obesity increased from 6.5% of all medical spending in 1998 to about 9% in 2006, according to the study released here and published today in the journal Health Affairs.

Costs for obese patients enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid hit $7 billion a year for the noninstitutionalized population and are largely attributable to the spending for prescription drugs and hospitalizations. "Obesity is costly," Finkelstein said. "The only way to show real savings in cost is to reduce the prevalence of obesity and related illnesses."

Although societal changes are necessary, physicians can play a role in curbing the obesity epidemic by talking to their patients about weight loss in a clear manner, so the patient really understands the health risks, said Dr. Finkelstein.

Medical News: Rising Obesity Rates Increase Nation's Healthcare Tab - in Pediatrics, Obesity from MedPage Today

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    And they're usually slimy by snack/mealtime, having been carried around to the park or wherever I've been. It's frequently 90-100 degrees here, and I spend a lot of time outdoors with the kids. I still take fruits/veggies with me, I just need to, you know, refrigerate them, like I said in my post. Gel icepacks are a beautiful thing, but it's definitely more trouble than plunking a few quarters into a machine and pushing some buttons. And fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive than crappy packs of crackers or cookies.
    Most fruits can be taken whole. Vegetables are more likely to dry out. I live in a desert climate, and carry fruits/vegetables often. Those items have a long history of surviving and being palatable without cooling thanks to nature. Farmers markets have cheap produce. Local in general is cheaper than a typical grocery store. Some Farmers markets even accept food stamps. Last but not least, your health is worth investing in. I can't stress that enough.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    A person would have to drink over 21 cans of diet soda a day to approach toxic levels. I also don't think there's anything helpful about scaring people with exaggerated "facts" about certain foods.
    There are definitely people that consume that much on a daily basis. Aspartame is in all types of food items, soda is merely the one people identify it with the most. So, an individual could be consuming anything from popsicles to cookies in combination with soda. It can easily add up, especially for people that prefer diet products.

Aspartame is only one example. No one is contesting that it hasn't been approved for consumption. Nonetheless, if you genuinely trust the FDA to look out for the common person's well being as opposed to securing the bottom dollar, you're sorely mistaken.

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry - U.S. Government:

Brain cancers have been associated with occupational exposure to polyvinyl chloride, electromagnetic field radiation, head injuries, and aspartame (sugar substitute).

ATSDR - PHA - Carolina Solite Corportation (a/k/a Carolina Solite Corporation/Aquadale), Norwood, Stanly County, North Carolina
    The US state of New Mexico introduced a bill to ban aspartame in 2007,[32][33][34] and Hawaiian legislators signed a 2009 resolution asking the FDA to rescind approval.[35] In March 2009, the California OEHHA identified aspartame as a chemical for consultation by its Carcinogen Identification Committee, in accordance with California state Proposition 65.[36]

Aspartame controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Most fruits can be taken whole. Vegetables are more likely to dry out. I live in a desert climate, and carry fruits/vegetables often. Those items have a long history of surviving and being palatable without cooling thanks to nature. Farmers markets have cheap produce. Local in general is cheaper than a typical grocery store. Some Farmers markets even accept food stamps. Last but not least, your health is worth investing in. I can't stress that enough.
    I agree with this, and I do most of my shopping these days at a co-op I joined in the spring, and fruits/vegetables are at the bottom of my food pyramid, not grains. I think the "6-8 fruits and vegetables a day" is super-low. My point was only that our infrastructure and culture have mutated in such a way that eating healthfully is often more expensive and requires more planning/effort than eating shit. The system is sick.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I agree with this, and I do most of my shopping these days at a co-op I joined in the spring, and fruits/vegetables are at the bottom of my food pyramid, not grains. I think the "6-8 fruits and vegetables a day" is super-low. My point was only that our infrastructure and culture have mutated in such a way that eating healthfully is often more expensive and requires more planning/effort than eating shit. The system is sick.
    I definitely agree that the system is inefficient.

I also think the people that live in urban areas with no access to decent groceries are the ones getting screwed the most. That is blatantly unjust.