User Tag List

First 45678 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    He shouldn't have used crude words for body parts. I agree that it was a bit much. What methods do you think would be most effective for reaching the average person?

A nutritionist doesn't have extensive knowledge of biochemistry. A doctor should be a nutritionist. Disease is solely caused by damage to cells. That occurs via two routes. One is toxic overload/foreign bodies, and the other is deficiency. Deficiency occurs when an individual doesn't get the correct amount of nutrients in their diet. Toxic overload occurs through the pollution of air, water, personal hygiene/home/work products, and processed food. America is a nation of overfed and malnourished (nutrient deficient) people. The combination of deficiency in diet and toxic overload is what's killing everyone. Doctors attempt to cure disease. It only makes sense that they tackle the root of the problem.

I think most people are under the impression that fat/sugar resulting in weight gain is the main issue. Alone, it really isn't. Every human body needs those elements to be at their healthiest. The crux is that the body is unable to metabolize the chemicals that come with eating junk food.

Aspartame for example, eventually becomes formaldehyde inside the body. People that consume a large amount of this chemical are literally poisoning themselves over time. Numerous chemicals that cause disease are approved by the FDA all the time. Those chemicals go into many processed foods that people believe to be benign. It is most definitely killing people every single day.

I wouldn't say shock value is bad per se, because many people truly aren't aware of what is in the food and beverages they consume on a daily basis. Equating junk food with being obese, as opposed to the straw that breaks the camel's back in an environment where people already absorb pollution on every level, is more important than obesity alone. I believe a doctor is the best person to convey that message.
    The only people who truly care about the things you are referencing above seek information on their own. The rest won't care until they begin to care through something that touches them in very personal, direct ways. I really believe this about adult people. Children can be shocked or scared into fear, perhaps even neurosis or phobia but I think most adults would either go into defense mechanisms/denial or offense and close off to the message. A would be teacher has to understand human psychology too.

Disease is solely caused by damage to cells. That occurs via two routes. One is toxic overload/foreign bodies, and the other is deficiency.
    What about genetic/inborn disorders? What about where the cause isn't well understood yet like MS or Lupus?

PEST that STEPs on PETS stellar renegade's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP

Everyone in the whole damn area was gorging themselves on donuts. I see no problem with trying to balance all that out with a controversial statement. Yeah, he was rather dumb as an employee of the state to make a statement about a brand but if I were privately practicing I would probably make the same statement for effect. If you don't have impact people aren't going to listen to you.

Of course you also have to put in a positive replacement, give people something else to feed off of instead of donuts and present an alternative message as well. That would've probably made him seem like less of a prick although not protected his job anymore.
    -stellar renegade
    coo-oo-ooool this madness down,
    stop it right on tiiiiime!

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Would like to bring up points from the other side too... that you're often less likely to be heard by being "professional" than being up front and personal.

The health advisory communities have said time and time again the problems with unhealthy diets and the lack of exercise, statistics on how 40% of Americans are overweight and how these factors lead to increase risks of cardiovascular diseases etc. Yet few people pay attention because they're too impersonal. It doesn't get through the "this is just people in general not me" attitude that many people have.
    Astute observation.

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    So, a health professional whose job it is to educate people about better health practices decides to take on a major cause of disease in the United States. Even better, he decides it may be a good idea to set examples in his own department by discouraging unhealthy eating. What's wrong with that?

I don't understand the basis for his resignation besides the donut lobby he seemingly angered with his sign.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with using thunder thighs or love handles in his signs -- anyone with a sense of humor should be able to get the real message without being offended. He wasn't targeting an individual, he was targeting a societal problem. Why the suggested tiptoeing?

Charity starts at home. If a health education professional decides to make his department an example of good health, I suggest we use it as a model across the country, and not fire someone who is actually not afraid to address the issue.
    Good points.

He most likely wouldn't have been fired for speaking out on obesity alone. The donut issue seemed to be the cause of dismissal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This is very true, ergophobe. I've found it more expensive and time-consuming to eat healthily than just grab any old thing. I can't count on a healthy snack being available wherever I go.
    Fruits and vegetables are highly portable, and not in need of refrigeration. They can be cut up beforehand, placed in a plastic bag, and carried in your purse.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The only people who truly care about the things you are referencing above seek information on their own. The rest won't care until they begin to care through something that touches them in very personal, direct ways. I really believe this about adult people. Children can be shocked or scared into fear, perhaps even neurosis or phobia but I think most adults would either go into defense mechanisms/denial or offense and close off to the message. A would be teacher has to understand human psychology too.

What about genetic/inborn disorders? What about where the cause isn't well understood yet like MS or Lupus?
    That's interesting. I don't understand why people wouldn't care to know more about what they consume, but I accept that it's probably the way you've described.

People can most certainly inherit bad genes, but the problems don't become active unless the right conditions are created in the body. Which leads back to deficiency and toxic/germ overload.
    Last edited by 01011010; 08-21-2009 at 07:54 AM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    +1

Unless one has mental disability, most adults already know that eating donuts is less than healthy, they don't need the dramatics. Either they are going to abstain or not.

Edit: But goodness, a man smart enough to make it through medical school should understand the way the world works, he used a corporate name brand to make his point, if he had just stuck to donut alone he likely wouldn't have been run out of business.
    Just because a person is "book smart" doesn't mean that they have good social skills or even an advanced understanding of the psychology of other human beings.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But what he said isn't true. At all. Donuts do not equal death in any capacity. A totally healthy person could eat donuts for breakfast every Sunday. Lots of people eat donuts in moderation and also exercise. I don't eat donuts very often, but I might have two every couple of months or something. The consumption of fried dough in and of itself doesn't even equal obesity, let alone death.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The doctor was obviously trying to persuade people with blunt shock. I don't know if that's the best idea, I just don't see it being as big a deal is it was made out to be in the events that followed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The doctor was obviously trying to persuade people with blunt shock. I don't know if that's the best idea, I just don't see it being as big a deal is it was made out to be in the events that followed.
    His fatal mistake was saying the actual corporate name "Dunkin Donuts" equal Diabetes/Death. That was just fucking stupid.

MBTI
    ESTP

All of you are talking about having a couple of donuts every so often, but where he lived they were everywhere. I think if you were around that and you were a doctor who knew what the horrors of that were going to be biologically you would probably do something extreme about it, too.

Not to mention that most people in his area are obese, so it was a real problem in that scenario. Exercise doesn't do quite as much at reducing fat as does just proper eating. It doesn't matter what you do with your fuel if you're putting the wrong kind in.

I'm a hypocrite, I know, I can't resist junk food myself but we have to be honest here.
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

MBTI
    ESTP

I have a friend who always cooks us vegan, low-sugar desserts when we come over that are actually the most delicious things I have ever tasted. I'm not being health-compliant in saying that either, I mean they really are the fucking best and sweetest desserts I have ever had. I really don't know how he does it. (He's an INTJ though, they have plenty of secrets.)

There are plenty of alternatives and you can be inventive and produce way better and healthier results, people are just lazy and love to serve the almighty dollar.
    -stellar renegade

Badass Promoter ESTPs:
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post

A nutritionist doesn't have extensive knowledge of biochemistry. A doctor should be a nutritionist. Disease is solely caused by damage to cells. That occurs via two routes. One is toxic overload/foreign bodies, and the other is deficiency. Deficiency occurs when an individual doesn't get the correct amount of nutrients in their diet. Toxic overload occurs through the pollution of air, water, personal hygiene/home/work products, and processed food. America is a nation of overfed and malnourished (nutrient deficient) people. The combination of deficiency in diet and toxic overload is what's killing everyone. Doctors attempt to cure disease. It only makes sense that they tackle the root of the problem.

I think most people are under the impression that fat/sugar resulting in weight gain is the main issue. Alone, it really isn't. Every human body needs those elements to be at their healthiest. The crux is that the body is unable to metabolize the chemicals that come with eating junk food.

Aspartame for example, eventually becomes formaldehyde inside the body. People that consume a large amount of this chemical are literally poisoning themselves over time. Numerous chemicals that cause disease are approved by the FDA all the time. Those chemicals go into many processed foods that people believe to be benign. It is most definitely killing people every single day.

This information about aspartame is speculative, at best. Methanol and formaldehyde are natural by-products of the digestive system and are safely processed. A person would have to drink over 21 cans of diet soda a day to approach toxic levels.

I am concerned about health, too. I like to eat plenty of vegetables and try to buy organic, but I also don't think there's anything helpful about scaring people with exaggerated "facts" about certain foods.