User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It probably means "vegetable," as that which would be found on the food pyramid.So, meat, fruits, vegetables, grains, fats, dairy.

There's also quite a lot of fat and sodium content in the arbitrary container of french fries, so I wouldn't even dare to call it 100% vegetable.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    It probably means "vegetable," as that which would be found on the food pyramid.So, meat, fruits, vegetables, grains, fats, dairy.

There's also quite a lot of fat and sodium content in the arbitrary container of french fries, so I wouldn't even dare to call it 100% vegetable.
    Okay, well, for starters sodium contains zero calories. Also, all the major fast food outlets have gone to frying their fries in vegetable oil.

So while there's actually mineral content in the french fries, all the calories in them come from plant sources, not animal sources.

But if you're going with the food pyramid definition, you're right.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    He shouldn't have used crude words for body parts. I agree that it was a bit much. What methods do you think would be most effective for reaching the average person?

A nutritionist doesn't have extensive knowledge of biochemistry. A doctor should be a nutritionist. Disease is solely caused by damage to cells. That occurs via two routes. One is toxic overload/foreign bodies, and the other is deficiency. Deficiency occurs when an individual doesn't get the correct amount of nutrients in their diet. Toxic overload occurs through the pollution of air, water, personal hygiene/home/work products, and processed food. America is a nation of overfed and malnourished (nutrient deficient) people. The combination of deficiency in diet and toxic overload is what's killing everyone. Doctors attempt to cure disease. It only makes sense that they tackle the root of the problem.

I think most people are under the impression that fat/sugar resulting in weight gain is the main issue. Alone, it really isn't. Every human body needs those elements to be at their healthiest. The crux is that the body is unable to metabolize the chemicals that come with eating junk food.

Aspartame for example, eventually becomes formaldehyde inside the body. People that consume a large amount of this chemical are literally poisoning themselves over time. Numerous chemicals that cause disease are approved by the FDA all the time. Those chemicals go into many processed foods that people believe to be benign. It is most definitely killing people every single day.

I wouldn't say shock value is bad per se, because many people truly aren't aware of what is in the food and beverages they consume on a daily basis. Equating junk food with being obese, as opposed to the straw that breaks the camel's back in an environment where people already absorb pollution on every level, is more important than obesity alone. I believe a doctor is the best person to convey that message.
    It's more that his form of shock value isn't, wasn't, working. The combination of things he was doing was losing his credibility and status. He left professionalism aside for a personal crusade.. Which is fine, but people: don't be surprised when society rejects crusaders. That's a story history tells time and time again. People don't like change, and people certainly don't like being told to change in such a rude way.

There's a lot we're stuffing in our faces that we'd be 10x better off without. Leading by example was a great way for him to start, but he went too far into left field.. and now? Mayhap he's the subject of a couple online debates, but he's not in the position he should be in. Someone that concerned over health should have kept his position as an educator of nutrition and kept a degree of professionalism in order to be able to continue to educate. No one's gonna listen to joe schmo on the corner of the street. His position gave him the backing he needed to probably convince people, and I think he lost his crusade when he lost that credibility.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Would like to bring up points from the other side too... that you're often less likely to be heard by being "professional" than being up front and personal.

The health advisory communities have said time and time again the problems with unhealthy diets and the lack of exercise, statistics on how 40% of Americans are overweight and how these factors lead to increase risks of cardiovascular diseases etc. Yet few people pay attention because they're too impersonal. It doesn't get through the "this is just people in general not me" attitude that many people have.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTj

Doctors warned my neighbor, Bubba that he risk death if he didn't cut back on the high fat food. But he laughed them off. Then one day, as Bubba sat in a cafe and munched excessively on oil soaked doughnuts, a deranged patron attacked and nearly killed him.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    All of the main social causes in history were advanced on the heels of self-righteous pricks. And making anti-donut signs isn't exactly a harsh method of social activism.
    It isn't exactly an issue of such importance that assholery on its behalf can easily-or even grudgingly-be excused, either. Also, I think quite a few of the important social reformers possessed a better sense of perspective, not to mention manners, than this guy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    alright fine, but then why bring up about personal freedoms?
    Because I find the mindset that its okay (in general) to impose restrictions on others "for their own good" to be highly corrosive toward personal freedoms in general, not to mention really fucking annoying.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because I find the mindset that its okay (in general) to impose restrictions on others "for their own good" to be highly corrosive toward personal freedoms in general, not to mention really fucking annoying.
    Not to mention that the law of unintended consequences means your attempts to "help" are bound to actually make things worse at some point.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I didn't know we had a donut lobby.

MBTI
    INTP