User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Burqini

Phantonym

Default Burqini

What are your thoughts concerning the burqini?

http://heyhijabi.com/wp-content/uplo...04/burqini.jpg

Since its creation a couple of years ago, the burqini swimsuit has had quite a reaction.

A couple of days ago, a French woman was banned from a swimming pool wearing a burqini with the excuse of hygiene concerns:

Aussie burqini sparks religious storm in France

The Islamic beachwear known as the burqini – the head-to-toe swimsuit designed by a Lebanese Australian and seen commonly in swimming pools and beaches in Sydney and Melbourne - has caused a stir in Europe and been banned in French pools.

A 35-year-old woman known to French newspapers only as 'Carole' was ordered to leave a public pool on the outskirts of Paris, ostensibly because her swimsuit constituted a “hygiene problem”.

But her removal from the swimming complex has been interpreted as the latest chapter in the fight between the French Government and fundamentalist Muslims as the debate on women's clothing and head coverings continues to rage in France.

The woman has now accused the pool of discrimination, describing her ban from the pool as “segregation": "I must fight to try to change things. . .if the battle is lost, I cannot rule out leaving France.”

However, the complaint has been interpreted as a political statement and officials argue that the chief lifeguard who made the decision was simply abiding by rules that state that all women must wear swimsuits and men must wear small trunks, not shorts, because larger items of clothing are believed to carry higher levels of bacteria.

Carole is reported to have been born to a traditional French family but converted to Islam at the age of 17. She apparently bought her burqini in Dubai. The swimwear, designed by Aheda Zanetti, a Lebanese-Australian woman who remembers battling being a sporty young woman stymied by restrictive clothing, has become a huge hit in Gulf states and is common in Australia.

It allows the face to remain uncovered but its top part is a mixture of hijab and balaclava and the body is like a free-flowing coat cum tunic or tracksuit.

However, its appearance in both Europe and North America has sparked heated debate.

Carole told Le Parisien newspaper that she believed the swimwear would allow her to enjoy the outdoors and the water without baring her body, as Islam asks.

"I can see that that it could be a shock but I am irritated because I have been told that it is a political issue. I did not set out to make a stand. All I wanted was to go swimming with my children in a swimming pool."

Carole also said her outfit could be compared to the high-tech neck to ankle suits used by elite swimmers.

She said the only difference was that theirs went faster than hers.

However Paris pool officials were reported to state that the sporting suits were also not allowed at public baths.

French authorities stressed politics were not involved.

"The lady was almost fully dressed," a spokesman for the pool said.

"The personnel simply applied the rules that are all pools in France ask: wear a bathing suit and take a shower before entering the water."

France sparked acrid debate in 2004 when it introduced legislation banning the hijab headscarf and all other religious dress from state primary and secondary schools.

However, the public has strongly backed the move and it was not strongly opposed by France's five-million strong Muslim population.

Could this possibly be a discussion where religion is set aside and the burqini is seen as regular swimwear?

Is this such a big issue only because of the garment is considered as an "Islamic beachwear"?

This is actually ironic, considering the reaction the bikinis made over sixty years ago. Only a few people believed in the success of bikini at the time and look what has become of them now.

The swimsuits at the beginning of the 20th century advocated modesty.

There are also other clothing lines that try to revive the Victorian swimwear:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KNIKWKduvN...esome-wear.jpg

Isn't it a personal preference whatever you wish to wear wherever you might go? Why is this such a big issue?

MBTI
    INTx

Seems a pretty typical case of religion conflicting with existing law then claiming discrimination in retro.

The problem is that Islam is a political religion.

And unlike modern religions, Islam does not separate Mosque and State.

So the hijab, for instance, is not only a religious symbol but it is a political symbol as well.

And in the same way the burquini is not only a religious symbol but is a political symbol as well.

And unfortunately the political religion of Islam does not accept the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And nor does the political religion of Islam accept the Constitutions of Australia or the United States or France.

And political Islam is waging a global jihad in accordance with the Koran to achieve their political goal of a world-wide Islamic Caliphate.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The problem is that Islam is a political religion.

And unlike modern religions, Islam does not separate Mosque and State.

So the hijab, for instance, is not only a religious symbol but it is a political symbol as well.

And in the same way the burquini is not only a religious symbol but is a political symbol as well.

And unfortunately the political religion of Islam does not accept the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And nor does the political religion of Islam accept the Constitutions of Australia or the United States or France.

And political Islam is waging a global jihad in accordance with the Koran to achieve their political goal of a world-wide Islamic Caliphate.

It doesn't matter if Islam is the reincarnation of the Nazi Party. You should be able to where what you want in public (short of outright obscenity) and be able to get around.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It doesn't matter if Islam is the reincarnation of the Nazi Party. You should be able to where what you want in public (short of outright obscenity) and be able to get around.
    If Islam succeeds in realizing their political goals, you will be first on their hit list.

I've always rather liked you Mercury but this is the result of your extremist position - it becomes self destructive.

And in becoming self destructive you become a danger to the rest of us.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If Islam succeeds in realizing their political goals, you will be first on their hit list.

I've always rather liked you Mercury but this is the result of your extremist position - it becomes self destructive.

And in becoming self destructive you become a danger to the rest of us.

If radical Islamists want to try to take me down, they can try. I shoot back.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

+ 1

MBTI
    ENFJ

When I saw these I thought of the neck-to-ankle suits that swimmers and dolphin trainers wear, only they look more comfortable, actually.

I mean, it's made of material made for swimming, right? So how is it not a swimsuit?

Also, what do these French authorities mean by 'small trunks' rather than 'shorts'? I mean, why would a small swimsuit carry less bacteria than a large one if they were both cleaned properly?

Perhaps it is less an issue of religious intolerance and more an issue of the French want you to show some skin.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INxJ

If they want to wear that, it's their business. It makes it much more difficult to check them out properly though.

If radical Islamists want to try to take me down, they can try. I shoot back.
    Under the ANZUS Treaty, mate, if you are attacked, I am obliged to come to your defence.

So perhaps it might be sensible to ensure you are not attacked in the first place.

We don't want to wait until they come to your door, as we do in Afganistan.

And the first step to take is to know your enemy.

And our enemy operates on two levels. Where they can they wage violent jihad to your front door, and where they can't they wage propaganda war.

You and I are not personally involved in the violent war however we are involved in the propaganda war.

And of course I want my Treaty partner to pull his weight.