User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default How is Detroit really doing right now? It's a place I could apply to for grad school

I'm going over program options for where I want to study, and Wayne State Uni in Detroit, MI is an option.

Considering if all goes to plan I'll be spending several years wherever I go to grad school, Detroit should be avoided given its economy, right?

Part of my reason for applying to grad school in this discipline was to take some risks and accumulate all sorts of new experiences, and for that reason my non-negotiables are (1) good fitting program and (2) lively metropolitan area. (I've already done the rural canoe-tripping/hiking/played soccer with random African villagers... I want a big, lively city for my time in grad school.)

Thoughts?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

There's a reason why real estate in detroit is dirt cheap...

Sniffles

I'd say you're wasting your time. Alot of the educated young people here are going out-of-state to find greener pastures.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'd say you're wasting your time. Alot of the educated young people here are going out-of-state to find greener pastures.
    Good. This is what I figured, I just wanted to be making judgments based on truth rather than from my thoughts sitting at my desktop in another nation. Thanks guys.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Good. This is what I figured, I just wanted to be making judgments based on truth rather than from my thoughts sitting at my desktop in another nation. Thanks guys.

My hometown of Philadelphia was named Best City for New College Graduates last year. It's a very large (second only to New York on the East Coast) and the rent is relatively cheap, public transit is decent, and the restaurants and bars are outstanding. Are you a native Michigander?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    My hometown of Philadelphia was named Best City for New College Graduates last year. It's a very large (second only to New York on the East Coast) and the rent is relatively cheap, public transit is decent, and the restaurants and bars are outstanding. Are you a native Michigander?
    I'm Canadian and have only lived in Canada. I would be really interested in Philadelphia, but as it turns out it's not one of the 70ish locations where my type of programs are housed.

(Pittsburgh has my eye, though.)
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Is Chicago on there?

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm Canadian and have only lived in Canada. I would be really interested in Philadelphia, but as it turns out it's not one of the 70ish locations where my type of programs are housed.

(Pittsburgh has my eye, though.)

Which program is that?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Is Chicago on there?
    No.

Most of the programs are in college towns. These things are very mysterious to me. I thought my city was small (700 000+), because it feels like if I don't know someone personally, I know someone they know, but college towns are like little tiny specs on Google maps.
    C.S. Lewis

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I'm going over program options for where I want to study, and Wayne State Uni in Detroit, MI is an option.

Considering if all goes to plan I'll be spending several years wherever I go to grad school, Detroit should be avoided given its economy, right?

Part of my reason for applying to grad school in this discipline was to take some risks and accumulate all sorts of new experiences, and for that reason my non-negotiables are (1) good fitting program and (2) lively metropolitan area. (I've already done the rural canoe-tripping/hiking/played soccer with random African villagers... I want a big, lively city for my time in grad school.)

Thoughts?
    I have just moved out of the Detroit-Metropolitan area. Item 2 of your criteria will not be satisfied. It is a run-down industrial city with very few facilities of entertainment. It is hard to describe the area as 'lively'. At night, the city is dangerous. Foreclosures, gang violence and theft are rife in Detroit and smaller nearby towns. For example, Dearborn and Hamtrammock. An older friend of mine who resides in Hamtrammock told me that he does not drive an automobile because the previous two cars he owned have been stolen in the period of time of two months.

At night-time Detroit is plain dangerous and suburbs are reserved for the typical Republican glory hunter. The suburban area is very conservative in Political outlook and prefer a very simple life. One that consists primarily in going to work, coming home to fulfill their duties to their family and their community. Only once in a great while do these people seek out entertainment (or lively activities) and they satisfy this need of theirs by travelling to Northern Michigan where they spend time either camping or with their friends in even more conservative villages. (Example, Traverse City, MI).

Additional note on Detroit. It is highly contrasted. Most inner city areas are what they appear to be--mere slums. However, within miles one may find wealthy areas such as Grosse Point or Livonia. There is an old joke that is frequently told within the metropolitan communities regarding how it is ill advised to act like a tourist in Detroit. The locals will be happy to tell you that if you ever find yourself with a map in Detroit late at night, you can expect to be undermined in one way or the other. It is not uncommon for drivers to be threatened at gunpoint under such circumstances.

The location of Wayne State University is a distinct example of such contrasts. It is a school that offers a variety of superb graduate school academic programs, however, it is within the inner city and therefore surrounded by dangerous areas. If you live on campus, I would not recommend being out any later than 11 p.m especially if you are unfamiliar with Detroit. If you are out at night, regardless of whether or not you are familiar with the area, make sure that the University is within sight as doing otherwise may be the last decision you will make.

If you choose to live off-campus, I would highly recommend selecting a residence north of the 12 mile road (The further north of Detroit you are, the safer. Detroit territory begins at the 8 mile road), unless you choose to live in Livonia or Grosse Point. By the U.S Economic standards, the area is deeply impoverished, hence it is possible to rent a room in a congenial neighborhood for $300.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/