User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default Do these policies infringe on parental rights?

A friend mentioned today that her state requires her children to be in separate bedrooms once her daughter turns 5. (She has a son who is 2 or 3, I think.) She's really upset about it. Do you think a law like this is a good idea, or should this type of thing not be the business of the government? Personally, I'm bothered by it. Plenty of people I know have grown up in crowded houses or shared bedrooms and have been quite happy and well adjusted. Not to mention people all over the world who are satisfied with one room huts as family living arrangements, and rich families with rooms to spare, but problems with incest, sexual abuse, invasion of privacy, etc.

I just talked to a couple of parents last week who dealt with a similar problem. One of them turned off her electricity in the summer to save money (while going through a divorce) and the other lived in a house without electricity for a while because they were still in the process of building the house. Both women are very conscientious parents who love their kids and care for them well, but could care less about "keeping up with the Jones" or conforming to more traditional styles of parenting. Social Services visited their homes and gave them fits about not having electricity, threatening to remove the children, etc., even though their children were warm, fed, and happy.

There are a lot of hurting kids in the world, so it angers me when time is wasted on harassing parents who obviously care for their children. Also, these situations upset me because I feel they show a disregard for personal rights and freedoms to live and raise a family the way we want.

What are your thoughts and opinions?
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INTP

I agree with you, and don't really have anything more to add.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

How exactly do they intend to enforce this law?

And it sounds at least inadvertently anti-poor. The less money you have, the more likely you're going to have to share rooms. I don't know how you can tell a family with a small house or apartment to do this. It's not practical.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

As long as the children are receiving adequate shelter, food, clothing, etc., the state really has no business mandating such things.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

It sounds like a horrible law.

So will it suffice if she put an office type partition in there floor to ceiling?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wow, I wonder if there's such a law in my state. My kids shared a room when they were 6-7 and 1-2.

This is pretty ridiculous IMO. And I agree that it's a law that will disproportionately impact the poor.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    How exactly do they intend to enforce this law?
    Yeah, a few of us were joking about state bedroom inspectors. I assume that it's one of those things where people in custody disputes, or people with nosy neighbors or angry enemies, etc. will just get reported.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    It sounds like a horrible law.

So will it suffice if she put an office type partition in there floor to ceiling?
    I don't know. I was wondering about a curtain or something like that. It's an interesting thought. I'll have to mention it to her.
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    As long as the children are receiving adequate shelter, food, clothing, etc., the state really has no business mandating such things.

I agree with merc.

This is outrageous.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~