User Tag List

First 123 Last

^ You give people too much credit!

MBTI
    INXP

Britain go down 1-0 after an early goal, but fight back scoring an equaliser in regular time. Eventually it goes down to a penalty shootout but the British Empire win on a technicality.

Most of the crowd is killed at the game - noone cares.

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I read in another article yesterday (don't remember which one) that Gen Mcchrystal did not actually say that the Taliban is winning. The WSJ actually kind of put that in itself. The general later made a comment to I believe USA Today (I could be misataken) that he would not say the Taliban is winning or losing.

I think the gist of things is that the Taliban is recently more aggressive, and has made some short term advances, even as coalition forces are mounting an offensive. Also, the general's frankness and realism are likely a lead up to the additional troops he will ask for later this year.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    srsly. we need to stop meddling.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Afghans have been fighting off foreigners since the time of Alexander the Great. Many Taliban are veterans of the war against the Soviets(Bin Laden included).

I even have an edition of Military History about the failed British campaigns there. Interestingly, it's even dated September 11, 1998.
    When it first kicked off many people around me were very clear that the taliban would not win the first assault, but as soon as it moved to ground fighting, they would have the upper hand.

Seems their predictions were right, because as you said they have done this many times, the terrain is ideal, it's their homeland etc etc.

I am gutted for the afghani's though, I know a few ex muslims from over there who had higher hopes, or more idealistic hopes for their peoples chances of throwing off the taliban.

Shame really.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

The problem also lies mainly with casualties of war.

You can't go into a country as an army and hope to pinpoint only the bad sort in that country. It doesn't work. Didn't work in Vietnam, will not work in Afghanistan.

In that regard, the war on the taliban in afghanistan is one that ultimatly has to be fought and won by the afghani people there. With international aid. Not an alien army trying to take over and take control of the situation. The latter will no doubt fail and in turn put the blame on the foreigners, only strengthening the resolve, and quite possibly, the numbers of the taliban.

PS: I don't claim to know much about politics and wars and whatnot. I do know that the people in charge of these strategies are as clueless as I am, however.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post

PS: I don't claim to know much about politics and wars and whatnot. I do know that the people in charge of these strategies are as clueless as I am, however.
    Actually, war strategy, and the politics and strategy of insurgency/counterinsurgency, has been and is well studied. Believe it or not at least some in the military command, including Gen McChrystal, actually do have good ideas and plans. The problem is getting approval to carry out those strategies effectively from Washington--people don't like to hear that more troops are needed.

There are several instances of American involvement in guerrila warfare, and obviously conventional warfare. It's not that we don't know what to do, it's that we don't have the will to follow through.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ISTJ

They've always had the upper hand! It's THEIR back yard, not ours. On the other hand... we have newer technology (and bombs)..... lots and lots of bombs....(and aircraft).

It seems the only way the war in Afghanistan will end is with a stalemate. I mean, their hiding in their little tunnels/holes while we are just wasting out time trying to hunt them down. We ought to just regroup and wait for them to come back out of hiding, then we send in some recon incognito. That's what the OSS (CIA) is for.
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    On the other hand... we have newer technology (and bombs)..... lots and lots of bombs....(and aircraft).
    They are of no use if you have nothing to aim for.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Actually, war strategy, and the politics and strategy of insurgency/counterinsurgency, has been and is well studied. Believe it or not at least some in the military command, including Gen McChrystal, actually do have good ideas and plans. The problem is getting approval to carry out those strategies effectively from Washington--people don't like to hear that more troops are needed.

There are several instances of American involvement in guerrila warfare, and obviously conventional warfare. It's not that we don't know what to do, it's that we don't have the will to follow through.
    I'm sure there are people with good ideas, there always are. But the deciding bodies (ie. politics) always seem to stand in the way. Which is both a good and a bad thing.