User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    "Inculturation" is not in my Canadian Oxford Dictionary. (Um, seriously.)
    You should read a book written by American scholars instead.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And that is fine, but Americans are not under any onus to act if that mindset should be celebrated. You HAVE to be able to say that some things are "better than." Unilaterally imposing things on people is wrong, but it also would be wrong to say that Americans (or anyone for that matter) should have to treat viewpoints that are repulsive to them as if they were equally valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And we recognize that (that's why we have institutional-as well as cultural (i.e. individualism)-safeguards against the "tyranny of the majority". That doesn't mean we are going to accept blatantly illiberal worldviews as equally valid.

Edit: Man, I need to learn how to type faster.
    I hear both of you, but IMO there's times where it influences your nation's political actions upon weaker or lesser countries in ways that they would really appreciate you guys just backing the eff off, hey? Where you go in and do more trouble than good? When your citizens vote in ways that impose their ideologies upon those who really don't want you imposing them?

I suppose this is now moving into political and war efforts, which I would prefer to avoid (a) because I need to get off the computer, and (b) because I am relatively ill-informed on the subject and would rather read the debate happening between others.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    You should read a book written by American scholars instead.
    LOL when I looked it up and there wasn't anything there, my first thought was, "well, now seems as good a time as any to order the American version, since I do plan on moving there for grad school anyway." And yes, then the irony of the thread hit me. haha
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    "Inculturation" is not in my Canadian Oxford Dictionary. (Um, seriously.)
    Inculturation - as a term designating the process by which the Gospel takes root in local values, discovering and using their richness, as well as purifying their deficiencies - has its clear warrant in Vatican II. “There are many links between the message of salvation and culture... The Church has existed throughout the centuries in varying circumstances and has utilized the resources of different cultures in its preaching to spread and explain the message of Christ... Faithfulness to its own tradition and at the same time conscious of its universal mission, (it) can enter into communion with different forms of culture, thereby enriching both itself and the cultures themselves”.......

Inculturation
    Long story short: it means the Christianization of native cultures. Operates on the logic set forth by St. Thomas Aquinas: where the faith doesn't negate nature but transforms it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I completely disagree. You think there is no moral or ethical component of capitalism? What about the right to private property? Are our rights just based on utilitarianism? I should hope not.
    The boundary between individual A's rights to take actions in xyz ways, and individual B's rights to not have actions imposed upon them, has always been murky. Your "line" is drawn according to more American values, while other lines may be drawn according to other values. This whole post of yours imposes notions of what's good and right and true, i.e. ideology.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Well, consider how you would feel if your ancestor from Europe came here to help teach the Indians to read so they could read the Bible so they could become good Presbyterians. And if all of your family has been a Protestant of some sort, with a very high emphasis on literacy. English teachers and clergymen, the ones of us who weren't running moonshine. My Protestantism is part of my cultural heritage. It's not some random religion I picked. It's what my family, going centuries back, worked for and believed in all their lives. I don't go to church and haven't in years, but if you hold my feet to the fire, I'm a Christian. It's not even so much a matter of belief. It's part of my cultural identity. Speaking English and being Christian is a part of many Americans' cultural identity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, consider how you would feel if your ancestor from Europe came here to help teach the Indians to read so they could read the Bible so they could become good Presbyterians. And if all of your family has been a Protestant of some sort, with a very high emphasis on literacy. English teachers and clergymen, the ones of us who weren't running moonshine. My Protestantism is part of my cultural heritage. It's not some random religion I picked. It's what my family, going centuries back, worked for and believed in all their lives. I don't go to church and haven't in years, but if you hold my feet to the fire, I'm a Christian. It's not even so much a matter of belief. It's part of my cultural identity. Speaking English and being Christian is a part of many Americans' cultural identity.
    This is in response to Peguy, not me, right?
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Speaking English and being Christian is a part of many Americans' cultural identity.
    Its also a part of many other peoples cultural identity, and the latter, at least, is not necessary for an "American" identity (just sayin').

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

No, it is not necessary.

But there are those of us for whom it played a huge part in our lives as Americans.

MBTI
    ESFJ

No, it is not necessary.

But there are those of us for whom it played a huge part in our lives as Americans.

I am a lapsed Catholic prep school-educated libertarian. It's fun to be pure_mercury.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"