entp
    Enneagram

We too

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYkuCZ2IYI"]xD[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I myself have a good opinion about the American nation as a whole. And I think thats the consensus in Germany. There is hardly a nationality of people Germany dislikes today so its no big compliment.

But what is a big compliment, I could easily imagine living in an American culture without having to change my opinion or my attitude towards living much.

I cant say much, but you are nice, I love you. If you change your energy consumption per head you will even earn my respect
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I cant say much, but you are nice, I love you. If you change your energy consumption per head you will even earn my respect
    Aww I love entropie! And I couldn't agree more about energy consumption.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Say what you will, but Mussolini did make the trains run on time.
    Actually, no he didn't, he was just good at propaganda.

The best comparison between the prospects of communist and capitalist economies is to study the respective histories of the two Korea's after the Korean War; the communist North Korea initially had much greater economic growth and production (at horrendous costs) and then stagnated and fell far behind South Korea, which employed gradual liberalization policies and slowly built a competitive and institutionally supported market economy, resulting in a dynamic economy and ever-increasing quality of life. Political and civil liberalization followed, which is not surprising as each subset of classical liberalism reinforces liberalization in all other areas.

Where liberalization fails is when it is imposed too quickly, without institutional and cultural support (i.e. enabling conditions), resulting in an unsustainable sub-optimal performance and excessive public backlash toward repressive communitarianism, statism and autarky. The optimal degree of immediate liberalization, and the proper pace of classical liberal reforms (political, economic, and civic) varies by country, and requires domestic trial and error to get right. Where the so-called "neo-liberal" movement went wrong was in its inflexible, one-size-fits-all approach, not in its basic principles and agenda.

The reason many hate us is not simply because of our arrogance and frat boy tourists. It has more to do with our covert, and not so covert, actions against legitimate governments around the globe. We have overthrown countless democracies and have NEVER installed one (since WWII).

Bombing millions in Indochina, overthrow of the constitutional democracy in Iran (which led to the theocracy they have today). Carpet bombing of Cambodia, which led to Pol Pot's rise. Installation of Suharto in Indonesia, so we could invade East Timor when they discovered oil there. Countless assassinations, coups or outright invasions in Central and South America, Africa and SE Asia.

Americans are ignorant of most of these activities or willfully forget them, and then wonder what they're upset about. How many here are even aware we staged a coup against democraticaly elected Papandreous/Greece (1965)?

If a foreign power did that to us, they would be reviled as evil incarnate.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to understand everybody else's worldview. I'm not sure what good it would do if we did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's probably an impossible ideal, but I am sure you can think of some reasons why it might be a good idea to understand other people's worldviews where it CAN be done.
    Whose shall I start with, and where does it end? It feels like intense pressure from non-Americans, really. Incessant -- and even from our own to ourselves, as in this thread. It kind of amazes me, the expectations.
    There's too much variation in human personality to understand every individual's worldview; a person is more or less conscious and consistent in his beliefs for a variety of reasons--but it wouldn't be rational to try to understand an irrational worldview, so we may limit our studies to those worldviews that have been thoughtfully developed in order to obtain intelligibility through rational consistency. In this philosophical sense, there aren't many possible worldviews at the basic level; there are only two: all or only some is eternal. These two basic worldviews divide over less basic distinctions; the next basic distinction concerns extension; thus, under all is eternal is material monism, spiritual monism, and dualism, and under only some is eternal is theism and deism.

All logically possible worldviews collapse into one of these five basic positions. Any person committed to using reason critically can easily familiarize himself with each of these worldviews in very little time. And educating oneself in this basic area is valuable insofar as understanding the nature of the real is valuable.

There are many interpretations. But philosophy does not end here; it begins here. And some interpretations are better than others. Philosophy is the love of wisdom, and it would behoove American and non-American alike to love wisdom.

MBTI
    INTP

"Thoughts on America's International Impression and Vice Versa"

What do you mean by "Vice Versa"? America's International Impression on Thoughts?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect us to understand everybody else's worldview. I'm not sure what good it would do if we did.
    I think it is reasonable to educate yourself on what your country has done to others with your tax money, and possibly understand why their upset with you. If we did that, this country wouldn't be nearly as easily tricked into idiotic wars by douchebags like Karl Rove or George Bush.