• P, No Vegetarian

21 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I agree.

Also, I'd like to point out that his original statement appears to imply that only carnivorous meals are fine food, when in fact a vegetarian diet can actually be much more varied and exotic, depending on the person.

That is your own bias coming out. I was responding to the comment that it was "redneck" to enjoy food for pleasure, rather than as a chore. Ask lowtech himself if he thinks that vegetarian meals can be enjoyable. I had pasta with no meat for dinner two nights ago, and it was delicious.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Food is not just those things. No form of art is. There are sensual and intellectual aspects of food, paintings, music, film, anything creative. Appreciating things on an intellectual level does not equate to neglecting the visceral thrill of them. False dichotomy.
    Appreciating food on an intellectual level is a different statement than your original one that said enjoyment of food signified signs of intelligence and refinement. This is a much better clarification of your views. Yes. I agree as well.

I disagree about the fine dining establishments, too. The food, along with the company of your dining companions, is always the most important aspect of the dining experience. White truffle risotto from Le Cirque would still taste delicious in my apartment. Nice decor and excellent service are enhancements, but they can't make bad food into good food. People who pay through the nose to eat in the "hot" new place and don't care about the food aren't real food fans. I am not a food snob. The most enjoyable meal I've had since I moved to L.A. was probably the one outside of Palm Springs at some Mexican place in a strip mall. It just happened to be a particularly good authentic Mexican place, and my buddy and I ate and drank to our stomachs' content. They did a great job there. Was it the same as lunch at Le Bec-Fin or a sushi feast at Blowfish? No, but it was still great. It's always going to be about the food first for me.
    Agreed. I will toast to that
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Appreciating food on an intellectual level is a different statement than your original one that said enjoyment of food signified signs of intelligence and refinement. This is a much better clarification of your views. Yes. I agree as well.
    Perhaps I was being overly florid. I just think there is a strong correlation between discriminating taste/appreciating quality and being refined, having a curious intellect, etc.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Perhaps I was being overly florid. I just think there is a strong correlation between discriminating taste/appreciating quality and being refined, having a curious intellect, etc.
    There is in some people, but I think a person can have a curious intellect and not be "into" food.

I'm a foodie, my mom's a foodie, and I know intellectual people who are foodies. However, my mom isn't an intellectual, and not all of the intellectual people I know are foodies.

I wonder how much it has to do with Se, honestly.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    There is in some people, but I think a person can have a curious intellect and not be "into" food.

I'm a foodie, my mom's a foodie, and I know intellectual people who are foodies. However, my mom isn't an intellectual, and not all of the intellectual people I know are foodies.

I wonder how much it has to do with Se, honestly.

Maybe you're selling your mother short?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Is this only for food or can someone express refinement and curiosity somewhere else, and still not pay attention to food?

MBTI
    IsTP

I recently turned lacto-ovo vegetarian about 5 months ago because of the factory farming situation. I want to eventually become vegan, but I thought I'd wait a while and do a transitional thing. I've cut out drinking milk completely, I've been cutting down on the cheese, and I'm pretty sure the only eggs I'm eating now are foods that they're mixed in.

On a previous topic, I can understand why some people are irritated with the whole vegetarians-following-the-trend idea. I experienced that first hand when one of my best friends decided to go vegetarian a couple of years ago because she found out her favorite lead singer in a band was one. Lasted about a week, if that.

Another thing I'd like to point out: I really don't like the fact that some vegetarians have an attitude of "my choice is the right thing to do, and yours is wrong" (well, I get upset with that kind of attitude when it applies to pretty much any topic, but anywho), and get upset when the meat-eaters defensively argue back. How are people supposed to react to this? Of course people are going to get defensive. Another one of my best friends told me some stories about how she used to have some vegetarian friends who looked down upon her like that, and it really upset her. This kind of situation is actually why I didn't become a vegetarian sooner. I was initially going to wait until I moved out of the house because I was afraid that my family would feel bad to ate meat in front of me, and I didn't want them to feel like I wanted them to convert or that I looked down upon them for it or anything. Why can't people just be accepting of other people's lifestyle choices? Luckily, my family turned out to be very supportive of me, they know I'm supportive of them, and this hasn't been an issue at all for us.

Let's just all be friends!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Is this only for food or can someone express refinement and curiosity somewhere else, and still not pay attention to food?
    It depends. Music, for instance, is not correlative in my experience. Being a great musician or unusually knowledgeable about music doesn't mean someone isn't a philistine. I've lived with musicians. Sometimes this = shutting out the world.

MBTI
    INTP

Would this be a bad time to admit that my favorite red wine is cold Lambrusco?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Would this be a bad time to admit that my favorite red wine is cold Lambrusco?

Eh, it happens. Kraft is still my favorite mac and cheese. I like real mac and cheese, but not the kind with the crust on it. I don't like eggs, either. Never have.