Get a room, you two
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Get a room, you two

I just have no idea what the implication was there. I said right at the beginning of the thread that I believe Obama was born in Hawaii and that I think Birthers are stupid (or lying). I was just saying that Obama should be arrested if they ever proved that he did forge a birth certificate. That is a federal offense. I don't think wildcat RTFT.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think he was born in the US, but I don't care where he was born. That rule is antiquated. It made sense in the 1700s, but it doesn't make sense now.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That is a survey of applied economics researchers, not econ students or professional economists. Any survey of academics will skew left. This is also a comparison between two people, not ideologies.
    The students of economics at the elite universities also skew predominately left. As are the majority of employees at top tier investment banks and management consultant firms. When I was a Goldman no one, would admit too being a Republican, though I think that might have more to do with Bush (this probably wasn't as true during the Reagan era)

Econ departments in junior college in Mississippi probably swing right though.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    The students of economics at the elite universities also skew predominately left. As are the majority of employees at top tier investment banks and management consultant firms. When I was a Goldman no one, would admit too being a Republican, though I think that might have more to do with Bush (this probably wasn't as true during the Reagan era)

Econ departments in junior college in Mississippi probably swing right though.

The econ students and Wharton kids I knew at Penn tended to be socially liberal, but were economically moderate-to-conservative. And one of my closest friends who worked for Bear Stearns has gone from a politically semi-interested New Democrat type to a hardcore Austrian economist who is trying to get a job with Peter Schiff (and is volunteering for his Senate run). As far as he was concerned, A) he couldn't believe he wasn't exposed to those concepts as a mainstream econ student; and B) he saw what was going on at his own employer, and saw Ron Paul and Peter Schiff and others speak and was like, "These guys are so specifically right about what's going on here." Personally, I am not an econ guy (4 AP Macro, 3 AP Micro, got an A- in Micro for my Business minor) and I don't believe everything I've read from the Austrians, but I have read enough to see that free trade works. That is one of the things that scares me about the general public. I think many (if not most) Americans don't even understand the concept of comparative advantage, or they wouldn't believe it's true even if you explained it to them. Hence the "Buy American" clauses of the stimulus package that are pissing off other countries.

Forgot about Wharton, they have a reputation for being sort of right (compared to the rest of the ivies), and to a certain extent Dartmouth and Cornell.

I think it might have something to do with the fact no other Ivy league, or top liberal arts schools (Swarthmore, Amherst etc) have pre-professional business students. They all have economics, but you can't study marketing or accounting because they aren't considered real subjects.

The kind of kid who knows he wants be an accountant at 17 years old tend to be less intellectual and right wing. Little Alex Keaton idealogues (for those old enough to have watched that show).

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Forgot about Wharton, they have a reputation for being sort of right (compared to the rest of the ivies), and to a certain extent Dartmouth and Cornell.

I think it might have something to do with the fact no other Ivy league, or top liberal arts schools (Swarthmore, Amherst etc) have pre-professional business students. They all have economics, but you can't study marketing or accounting because they aren't considered real subjects.

The kind of kid who knows he wants be an accountant at 17 years old tend to be less intellectual and right wing. Little Alex Keaton idealogues (for those old enough to have watched that show).

I think that Yale probably has the conservative student body of the Ivies, but I am sure it is less so than the heyday of William F. Buckley, Jr. Brown and Columbia seemed to be pretty leftish from what I could tell. Penn was the "social" Ivy. A lot of people I knew there tended to be for government intervention, except when it came to marijuana and cocaine markets.