User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Under the circumstances, I don't know what it would take to be an unqualified success as president. There are loads of people ready, willing, and able to stymie anyone who gets the job. The only options a president has these days are various degrees and modes of failure.

Or, you know, defending and upholding the Constitution. The job description.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Or, you know, defending and upholding the Constitution. The job description.
    Such a president, while technically successful, would be roundly castigated and considered by ninety percent of the populace to be not only a failure, but counter-productive to the point of being evil. History would record him as an obstructionist, and he or she would be cordially hated by all the Democrats and the vast majority of Republicans.

I'm all for it, personally.

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder what percentage of Democrats and Northeasterners would have answered "yes" or "unsure" to the question of whether or not Bush was responsible for 9/11. At least this particular conspiracy theory doesn't rely on an obscene number of nefarious conspirators all operating in lock-step with each other...

Assuming the poll is accurate, the 28% of Republicans who think Obama faked his birth history are just being stupid and ignorant, just like the Democrats who thought the Florida "butterfly ballots" were a Republican conspiracy (a conspiracy which likewise would have involved far fewer conspirators-to put it mildly-than the 9/11 scenario). The ones who answered "unsure" are probably comprised of those who simply dislike Obama (and therefore prepared to believe the worst) but havn't been paying attention to the history of this "issue".

While this certainly isn't a poll for Republicans to be proud of, I'm not very impressed with accusations that this a demonstration of higher levels of stupidity and paranoia among Republicans, relative to other segments of the population.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

I wonder what percentage of Democrats and Northeasterners would have answered "yes" or "unsure" to the question of whether or not Bush was responsible for 9/11. At least this particular conspiracy theory doesn't rely on an obscene number of nefarious conspirators all operating in lock-step with each other...

Your comment lost all credibility in the coal slurry of the bolded phrase. "Lowtech Redneck"? You ain't just whistling dixie with that user name.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Your comment lost all credibility in the coal slurry of the bolded phrase. "Lowtech Redneck"? You ain't just whistling dixie with that user name.
    The OP made a special point of noting the prevalence of the "birther" conspiracy theory within the South, as well as among Republicans. This particular "lowtech redneck" can read...

Oberon

Incidentally... the whole invention and bandying about of the term "Birther" to describe anyone who supports release of the original birth cert looks to me like an Alinskyite tactic.

So far, the public face of the left has mostly stuck to the talking points. It makes me wonder, are any liberals discussing this in hushed tones, wondering why their leader is keeping this particular document to himself?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Incidentally... the whole invention and bandying about of the term "Birther" to describe anyone who supports release of the original birth cert looks to me like an Alinskyite tactic.

I don't that's quite fair. Alinsky believed that the ends justified the means. I think it's just like "Bircher" for John Birch Society (also a whackjob organization that ostensibly is for positive things in government).

Oberon

I don't that's quite fair. Alinsky believed that the ends justified the means. I think it's just like "Bircher" for John Birch Society (also a whackjob organization that ostensibly is for positive things in government).
    Well, okay, fair enough I suppose.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hey, let's all come together today and celebrate the 48th anniversary of the forging of Barack Obama's birth certificate!

MBTI
    INTP

Oh, and Obama could be brought up on charges for falsifying a federal document, assuming he knew his American birth certificate to be a fake.
    Yes.
    You missed the train and the station.