User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I knew a good number of people on the Right would have views like this, but I've been surprised at how popular these views have become lately. The Birther movement is considered to be a small subsection of people on the Right, but their message has been going out uncontested by almost all mainstream and elected Republicans. So their beliefs are now starting to become adopted by the Republican base at large, which is looking for any reason to demonize the racist-Kenyan-Muslim-long-legged-mack-daddy-Barack-Huissen-Obama.

What do you think of all this?

58 percent of GOP not sure/doubt Obama born in US - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com
    Yes.
    And it has nothing to do with Obama. Only with the Reps.
    Alas, alack. A multitude of things had something to do with the Reps .. in recent years.

A time of recovery is at hand.
    Arise, Olympian mountain.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I think they're nuts. There is no logic going through their heads with regard to this issue. I can hardly watch the news anymore, because they make me so angry. imho, it's not really a partisan issue - or, at least, it shouldn't be, but sadly, every member of the so-called "birther caucus" is a Republican. I just wish the Republicans would ditch these people and regain some of their dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    No excuses. We didn't give Bush any, and Obama won't get any, either.
    For lack of a better phrase - where's the logic here? Such a bitter and vengeful statement - and completely unreasonable.

The hilarious part is that 7% of Democrats don't believe/know that Obama was born in the United States. Are we to assume that the majority of those who voted ended up voting for someone they believe was not born in the United States?
    There's a slight math issue here - if 7% don't know/believe in Obama's US citizenship, that means that 93% DO believe it! So that 7% isn't a majority of ANYTHING. And no, they wouldn't have voted for him.
    Last edited by EJCC; 08-03-2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Dumb error - didn't see an earlier post
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    For lack of a better phrase - where's the logic here? Such a bitter and vengeful statement - and completely unreasonable.
    There is perfect logic. I demand the very most out of my leaders. Bush was a failure, and Obama is well on his way to being a failure. It's not unreasonable in the least. There is nothing bitter or vengeful at all. What are you talking about?

There's a slight math issue here - if 7% don't know/believe in Obama's US citizenship, that means that 93% DO believe it! So that 7% isn't a majority of ANYTHING. And no, they wouldn't have voted for him.
    Yes, I saw the statistics. You completely misunderstood my point. Assuming that 50-60% of those registered Democrats voted (average turnout of registered Democratic voters in the past few elections), that means 3-4% of registered Democrats A) voted in 2008; and B) believed that Obama was born in a foreign country or weren't sure. Do you know honestly think all of them or the vast majority of them switched parties to vote for McCain? I would suspect that a good chunk of them were most likely insane pro-Hillary birthers, but simple demographics would indicate that many of those people voted for Obama honestly not knowing if he were born in the United States or not. They also probably had no idea that being born in the U.S. is a requirement for being elected POTUS. Believe me. I've worked on multiple city-level elections in the past few years. A lot of people who vote have no idea what is going on in the world. How do you think the Republicans get away with posting fliers in poor black areas that tell people that they can't vote if they have bench warrants or unpaid parking tickets or utility bills? The potential voters have no idea that's bullshit. I was just pointing out that it's hilarious to me that some people voted for Obama believing that he was born in Africa.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

I'm agnostic on the matter myself. I didn't witness his birth, and I have never seen any convincing documentation of the event, either.

I have seen a string of documents of doubtful provenance, claimed to document Mr. Obama's birth as occuring in Hawaii or Kenya, depending on the document. As a professional investigator, I would not trust any of the documents that have made the rounds on the web, because there's no traceable chain of custody for them.

I do think the President, as a holder of the highest public office in the land, ought to be transparent to public scrutiny when it comes to questions of fundamental credentials. In his place I would hire Deloitte and Touche or Ernst and Young to go to Hawaii to be physically on hand, and I would release the long-form document while they were physically present to verify that it was, in fact, what it's purported to be. Then I would have the auditing company release the document to the public.

That's the only way the prez can calm the excrement storm at this point.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I actually investigated this further. If Obama had been born in Kenya and a hearing here proved that, the Office of the President is immediately vacated, and Joe Biden is Acting President. Congress would then have to convene a special election for the rest of the term, most likely November 2010 when the next federal election is. There is no way to do it in three months for this November. If I were McCain, I'd be pissed.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh, and Obama could be brought up on charges for falsifying a federal document, assuming he knew his American birth certificate to be a fake.

Oberon

Oh, and Obama could be brought up on charges for falsifying a federal document, assuming he knew his American birth certificate to be a fake.
    Yes, but even if it were proven to be the warranted, realistically the odds of this happening are about a billion and nine to one (1,000,000,009:1) against. That sort of thing doesn't happen to presidents, even former presidents. They operate under a different set of rules than you and I do, merc.

EDIT: President Biden. Now there's an interesting thought. The man creates sound bites as though he were Prince Charles.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

There is perfect logic. I demand the very most out of my leaders. Bush was a failure, and Obama is well on his way to being a failure. It's not unreasonable in the least. There is nothing bitter or vengeful at all. What are you talking about?
    Ah, you DID think Bush was a failure. I see. I thought you liked him. If you had, my comment would have made sense. Pardon me.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Ah, you DID think Bush was a failure. I see. I thought you liked him. If you had, my comment would have made sense. Pardon me.

You have to read all of the posts. When I said "No excuses," I meant "there are no excuses like 'we're at war' for shredding the Constitution." I am not going to give Obama a pass on the stuff for which I criticized Bush incessantly because "he needs time; he has other things to attend to." That is bullshit, biased nonsense. Obama should be held AT LEAST to the same standards as Bush. By those standards, he is failing.

Oberon

Under the circumstances, I don't know what it would take to be an unqualified success as president. There are loads of people ready, willing, and able to stymie anyone who gets the job. The only options a president has these days are various degrees and modes of failure.