ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

*headdesk*

That. Did. Not. Happen.

People are so idiotic.

There is a reason why God gave us the tools and abilities to heal ourselves and others.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It would have been different if it were something like cancer, but the kid died of undiagnosed diabetes, for chrissake.

:facepalm:
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTJ

As far as I know, low IQ and mental diseases are genetic, so chances are this worked out in society's favor. God knows we have enough retards and crazies to go around.

+1 for Darwin.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

^ good point.

Go natural selection.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

This shit really pisses me off.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Not an absurd idea with pentecostal types, where there's deliverance ministries and faith healing and the like. God is real, and God has power, to them... so things can wander to this extreme.

Y'all know I came from an evangelical background, and I've seen some of the same style thinking there -- God is sovereign, God can do anything, to cut around God is to "not have faith," therefore you do things out of faith and trust God to make it better even if everyone else in the world is staring wide-eyed and advising you to do the sensible thing... and even if bad things happen and God doesn't intervene... the cognitive dissonance is resolved in other ways than changing the view of GOd.

And these aren't "stupid people," these are people with four-year college degrees.

The "faith" thing can be very very strong, if you believe in a sovereign God.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ThatGirl

Technically this isn't even a faith thing. Assuming the guy was Christian, I believe in the bible it states that when one is ill, pray first then give the doctor his place. He too calls on the powers of god to aide him in his specialty. Or something like that.

Not a direct quote, its been a while since I read the bible. However, I would say that people should learn the faith they practice.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Technically this isn't even a faith thing. Assuming the guy was Christian, I believe in the bible it states that when one is ill, pray first then give the doctor his place. He too calls on the powers of god to aide him in his specialty. Or something like that.

Not a direct quote, its been a while since I read the bible. However, I would say that people should learn the faith they practice.
    Unfortunately there's enough in the Bible in different places to contradict itself. People build the most "sensible theology" they can -- to themselves -- and toss the stuff that doesn't fit. The Pentecostal denom explores the supernatural powers of God (speaking in tongues, faith healing, casting out of demons, deliverance ministries, etc.)

I don't remember the "doctor" verse, unless it's something buried in the OT. In the NT, the most commonly quoted versus involve snake handling, and how sick people should be anointed with oil, and how the prayers offered in the gathering will "make the sick person well." Couple that with the miracles of Jesus and how God is good so of course he WANTS to make everyone better, and you've got a trend.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My first thought is, "Why do civilized people like us have to share a country with backwards savages like them?" I mean, seriously... with that kind of faith, I'd claim they're not mentally or emotionally operating on anything close to an average level, despite intelligence, apparent stability, and other indicators.

That said, I think the punishment was too harsh. I seriously don't think the man had ANY idea what the heck he was doing, nor did any of his neighbors apparently. What happened was horrible, but he shouldn't be convicted of a serious crime, he should be put in a mental institution or something. For that matter, I don't think he should bear guilt alone... what about all those other people around him, who knew about his daughter? They didn't do anything either, and certainly didn't encourage him to. But they should have. A person in his frame of mind, surrounded by people in the SAME frame of mind, had no way of knowing that calling a doctor was the right thing to do, possibly even thinking it would cause harm. I'm serious. It would be like convicting someone from the 15th century for using leeches. He was part of a mass delusion.

We've really got to do something about this kind of religion. Normal religion is fine, but this is unacceptable. If this guy pays for the crime, he's a scapegoat, and the real perpetrator is getting away... his communities' brand of Pentecostalism. That's what killed this girl... a flawed belief about the nature of reality that was allowed to go unchecked.