User Tag List

First 123 Last

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Unfortunately there's enough in the Bible in different places to contradict itself. People build the most "sensible theology" they can -- to themselves -- and toss the stuff that doesn't fit. The Pentecostal denom explores the supernatural powers of God (speaking in tongues, faith healing, casting out of demons, deliverance ministries, etc.)

I don't remember the "doctor" verse, unless it's something buried in the OT. In the NT, the most commonly quoted versus involve snake handling, and how sick people should be anointed with oil, and how the prayers offered in the gathering will "make the sick person well." Couple that with the miracles of Jesus and how God is good so of course he WANTS to make everyone better, and you've got a trend.
    USCCB - NAB - Sirach 38

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    As far as I know, low IQ and mental diseases are genetic, so chances are this worked out in society's favor. God knows we have enough retards and crazies to go around.

+1 for Darwin.
    Darwin award by proxy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

They said the girl should have been taken to hospital because she was unable to walk, talk, eat or drink.

Instead, an ambulance was only called once the girl had stopped breathing.
    How could this be confused for a fever (And if it were, a fever that severe begs for medical attention as it usually a sign of a more serious condition)? Sounds like a prolonged case of ketoacidosis, which is easily treatable in the beginning stages but becomes increasingly less so as treatment is delayed.

MBTI
    ISTx

Oh, cool, more morons.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah I'm all for freedom of religion at all, but not at the expense of easily preventable children's deaths.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Where's that comic strip when you need it.
    All I can say: Not again....

You'd think that these people read the newspaper and realise that cases like this have happened before, but I suppose it's just rationalised away with the belief: The other family really didn't believe/do it right.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

"A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, Were leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us! But the man declined. I have faith that God will save me.

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly! But the man again said, No thanks, God will save me.

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. We will come up and rescue you! they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. No thank you! God will save me!

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, I put all of my faith in You. Why didnt You come and save me?

And God said, Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Where's that comic strip when you need it.
    All I can say: Not again....

You'd think that these people read the newspaper and realise that cases like this have happened before, but I suppose it's just rationalised away with the belief: The other family really didn't believe/do it right.
    They were only praying at about a 7.6 out of 10, which is a moderately high piety level but if you want Jesus to pay enough attention to you to actually heal your dying child, you clearly need to bump up the prayer intensity level to at least a 9.2; it's obvious they weren't faithful enough.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I hear about similar stories of deeply religious families refusing to seek advanced medical treatment in favor of prayer or "putting it in God's hands".

It's a sad thing to have happen, but when a very conservative element of society refuses to progress, they are blocking out all the fruits of progress, like present day medical science.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    As far as I know, low IQ and mental diseases are genetic, so chances are this worked out in society's favor. God knows we have enough retards and crazies to go around.

+1 for Darwin.
    They died out in South America but I see we have still one in Los Angeles.