User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about same-sex marriage?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • E, yes

    13 21.67%
  • I, yes

    29 48.33%
  • S, yes

    8 13.33%
  • iN, Yes

    37 61.67%
  • T, Yes

    24 40.00%
  • F, Yes

    16 26.67%
  • J, Yes

    16 26.67%
  • P, Yes

    21 35.00%
  • E, no

    1 1.67%
  • I, no

    9 15.00%
  • S, no

    3 5.00%
  • iN, no

    9 15.00%
  • T, no

    7 11.67%
  • F, no

    5 8.33%
  • J, no

    7 11.67%
  • P, no

    5 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 345

Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. #41
    (☞゚∀゚)☞ The Decline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Yes, I feel something about same-sex marriage. Good poll!

    Also, can we debate about something important now?
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

  2. #42
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    I am very much for the separation of church and state. Imposing things on people who don't abide by that worldview is just going to lead to problems. There should be equal rights to individuals who are living lives with dignity and respect.

    I think my stance might be that the government should grant equal rights to all civil unions, and that marriages should be solely religious undertakings. Which, yes, does appear to pass judgment/place agnostic or atheistic married individuals on a lesser plane, but I would argue that they're just two very different objectives.

    I'm a "reserving the holy act of sex for marriage" kind of Christian, who believes the religious objective for the marriage union is partly to form a family unit (i.e. raising children) and partly to make one another more holy through an intimate relationship that is sexual, emotional, physical, intellectual, etc. A serious partnership that sees each other through the inevitable difficult parts by relying on a bond that isn't just sexual, or just emotional, or just intellectual, but a strongly interwoven relationship that is held together by a lot of different ways. So when lovers are emotionally distant, perhaps the act of sex will woo them back together, or when lovers are sexually distant because of a number of reasons like depression or impotency or the like, perhaps the intellectual nature of their relationship will find a way to draw them together through that difficult season. These are my religious views on marriage. And part of that comes with the fact that for religious reasons I'm anti-homosexual *marriage* (i.e. church unions) but I'm pro civil unions and equal rights.

    (EDIT: The next part should be read knowing that atheists or agnostics or "spiritual but not religious" kinds of people have morals worthy of equal respect--please see my clarification in response to Jennifer's response.)

    I think atheistic/agnostic marriages have no moral reason to have kids (whereas I believe that married Christians do unless they are physically unable) and I think atheistic/agnostic marriages have no moral reason to uphold their marriage contract through everything but abuse and adultery, whereas I believe in theory, that Christians do (though life is messy and sometimes you've just found yourself in such a shitty hole that pragmatically you should divorce). But Christians should need to do a lot of soul-searching and praying and going through the problems with God, while nonChristians should in theory be able to part amicably without the slightest hint of divorce being sinful.

    There should really be two different words for religious marriages and atheistic/agnostic marriages, because religious marriages should come with moral standards according to those religions, whereas nonreligious marriages should not have to hold to any moral standards beyond dignity and respect and the law, because anything more than that are individually decided morals.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #43
    Senior Member LostInNerSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I think newly wedded same sex couples should be barbecued, right after they have been toasted. That was a joke before anyone gets carried away.
    This means I support it in case that was not apparent.

  4. #44
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    This means I support it in case that was not apparent.
    You Homophobic bigot!

  5. #45
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    ...I think atheistic/agnostic marriages have no moral reason to have kids (whereas I believe that married Christians do unless they are physically unable) and I think atheistic/agnostic marriages have no moral reason to uphold their marriage contract through everything but abuse and adultery, whereas I believe in theory, that Christians do (though life is messy and sometimes you've just found yourself in such a shitty hole that pragmatically you should divorce). But Christians should need to do a lot of soul-searching and praying and going through the problems with God, while nonChristians should in theory be able to part amicably without the slightest hint of divorce being sinful.
    I understand why you say all this, but by the end it starts to smack of the "only Christians are moral" undertone, which I think needs to be consciously avoided. It's not that there is one morality (Christianity) vs no morality, there's a plethora of moralities (many of which can be mistaken for each other in practical application, even if the specifics of the doctrines are different) each operating under their own rules.

    There should really be two different words for religious marriages and atheistic/agnostic marriages, because religious marriages should come with moral standards according to those religions, whereas nonreligious marriages should not have to hold to any moral standards beyond dignity and respect and the law.
    i agree with the basic gist that there should be a "civil marriage" which is available to any citizen of the country and that is used in regards for taxation, etc., and government-related functions... while then each faith/religion should be able to have its own set of rules for a union that it will consider valid.

    IOW, the state marriages should be broadly available, but a sect/church should have dominion over what sort of marriages it will bequeath its own benefits on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ...Btw...gay couples adopting children is something I'm undecided about though.
    Hmmm. I'm wondering whether child abuse is more common in het marrages or homo marriages.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #46
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I understand why you say all this, but by the end it starts to smack of the "only Christians are moral" undertone, which I think needs to be consciously avoided. It's not that there is one morality (Christianity) vs no morality, there's a plethora of moralities (many of which can be mistaken for each other in practical application, even if the specifics of the doctrines are different) each operating under their own rules.
    Certainly everyone has their own moral code, and I wasn't trying to say that only religious morals are valued. I guess what I didn't elucidate enough regarding the morality issue was the nature of morals. I think Lewis' (religious) argument illustrates it well when he says that a person growing up in a deserted island won't know the multiplication table, but that doesn't mean that the multiplication table is any less correct or real. Which is to say that, in theory, a religious person should be abiding by a very real and explicit standard. To what degree they fail at doing this is another topic of discussion.

    Whereas atheists or agnostics might have a sense of universal human morals (I tend to think offering respect and dignity to everyone is under that standard) their moral code is far more individualistic, despite it coming from cultural and other sources.

    All I'm saying is that theoretically Christians (and other religious people) are either trying to live by the one, true, right standard that they believe in or they are not trying to live by the one true right standard. Nonreligious people's morals should not come from a very modernistic (in the outdated sense) worldview.
    A poststructuralist post-postmodern worldview engendering their moral code is far more reasonable.

    This is what I was getting at with different words being necessary. They are simply two different things. I'd argue that often nonreligious people have a better sense of their own moral code IME. I have huge hearts for my nonreligious friends, and huge respect for how some of them are living their lives. They should not be held to my religious code of morals, though. They should not have to deal with notions of a childless marriage being sinful or divorce being sinful, because that's silly. Their moral code most likely has nothing to do with this.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #47
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    To be honest for me the same-sex marriage is nonsense because of reason I think that the entire idea of marrage is probably a nonsense.

  8. #48
    Senior Member statuesquechica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Posts
    428

    Default

    The ban of same-sex marriages is a discriminatory act perpetrated on a protected class of citizens (i.e. gender, sexual orientation, religion, sex, age, race, disabililty) and is clearly a civil rights violation.

    I also don't see how two people marrying out of love to form a committed, loving relationship weakens the institution of marriage--I thought divorce did that.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

    Joni Mitchell

  9. #49
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    I also don't see how two people marrying out of love to form a committed, loving relationship weakens the institution of marriage--I thought divorce did that.
    That's probably one of the biggest absurdities of this whole debate that I've witnessed -- that same-sex marriage on its limited scale and among a small minority of the population is considered far more dangerous than decades of widescale het divorce in terms of marriage as an institution, of which a sizable chunk is conservative/religious.

    I also note that a lot of the nuts who picket pride marches and events usually don't bother to picket same-sized heterosexual events where debauchery and adultery/fornication occur regularly or spawn from it, or that quite a large percentage of the politicians who get caught in affair after affair are the same ones who so vehemently oppose same-sex marriage.

    It seems pretty biased/selective to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Same Sex Marriage
    By Riva in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 590
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
  2. Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  3. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  4. Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?
    By ez78705 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  5. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO