User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you feel about same-sex marriage?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • E, yes

13 21.67%
  • I, yes

29 48.33%
  • S, yes

8 13.33%
  • iN, Yes

37 61.67%
  • T, Yes

24 40.00%
  • F, Yes

16 26.67%
  • J, Yes

16 26.67%
  • P, Yes

21 35.00%
  • E, no

1 1.67%
  • I, no

9 15.00%
  • S, no

3 5.00%
  • iN, no

9 15.00%
  • T, no

7 11.67%
  • F, no

5 8.33%
  • J, no

7 11.67%
  • P, no

5 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I agree, but there are already plenty of religions that would be happy to marry gay couples, even some Christian denominations. The Episcopalian church just a couple of weeks ago had a convention at which they decided to pursue creating a liturgy for the blessing of same sex unions, which I'm guessing will become a marriage liturgy if the law changes to allow gay marriage. There have already been some gay couples married (religiously only, since it's not yet legally recognized) at my church.
    I don't have a problem with how the Church feels about same-sex marriage because that's their own ideology which has been past down through the ages and as long as they don't discriminate against LGBT then there won't be a problem. But the gov't should at least have the decency to legalize same-sex marriage because after all, aren't church and state supposed to be separate?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, we've kinda done this to death.

The answer is Jeffster and Peguy, and a small handful of other people who don't speak up :No

Everybody else: Yes

/thread.
    Yeah not to mention those who do decide to speak up are pulverised by arguments from several people at once, so it's often a case of 5-10 against 1. Often in my case I find myself engaging in several discussions at once delving into issues related to jurisprudence, history, philosophy, religion, sociology, anthropology, and countless other areas of interest. What can I say, it gets very very very very tiring real quick.

So forgive me if I'm not eager to exhaust myself again, especially since I have to deal with the same arguments over again.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    I don't have a problem with how the Church feels about same-sex marriage because that's their own ideology which has been past down through the ages and as long as they don't discriminate against LGBT then there won't be a problem. But the gov't should at least have the decency to legalize same-sex marriage because after all, aren't church and state supposed to be separate?
    I totally agree with you. I don't think religious bodies should be forced to perform gay marriages. I don't think they're forced to perform any marriages, are they? I think some will only perform marriages for members of their own congregations, which I think is also totally within their rights. I would not want to ask priests and pastors to perform marriages that strain their own consciences. There are plenty of priests and pastors (and other religious authorities) for whom performing a same-sex marriage does not strain their conscience, though.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISFJ

This confuses me. What are these fiscal benefits of having children? Do you mean the tax deductions? Because I can't think of anything else. And if so, I don't think anyone has proposed giving child tax credits to gay couples without children. Gay couples WITH children, yes. It's only fair.
    I was talking in general terms, so, irrespective of country (different fiscal laws for married couples in different countries). And I wasn't implying anyone proposed such a thing for gay couples, just that that would be the condition I think should be met in order to legalize them. That's basically what marriage is in contractual terms....fiscal/legal benefits. I mean...why do people marry?

Btw...gay couples adopting children is something I'm undecided about though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Not all gay couples with children used adoption to have children.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Not all gay couples with children used adoption to have children.
    That's very true.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I totally agree with you. I don't think religious bodies should be forced to perform gay marriages. I don't think they're forced to perform any marriages, are they? I think some will only perform marriages for members of their own congregations, which I think is also totally within their rights. I would not want to ask priests and pastors to perform marriages that strain their own consciences. There are plenty of priests and pastors (and other religious authorities) for whom performing a same-sex marriage does not strain their conscience, though.
    exactly...it should be legal...and at the church's discretion just as it always is...there are gay churches all over the place.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I was talking in general terms, so, irrespective of country (different fiscal laws for married couples in different countries). And I wasn't implying anyone proposed such a thing for gay couples, just that that would be the condition I think should be met in order to legalize them. That's basically what marriage is in contractual terms....fiscal/legal benefits. I mean...why do people marry?

Btw...gay couples adopting children is something I'm undecided about though.
    they should be screened in the exact same fashion as other couples imo...not all adopted parents are great... some even do such lowly disgusting things such as foster kids for the money...it's despicable...and then loving capable couples are turned down...not right...not right i tell ya...
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP

I think newly wedded same sex couples should be barbecued, right after they have been toasted. That was a joke before anyone gets carried away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

There is no rational reason to oppose gay marriage.