User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Thread: Healthcare

Oberon

My interpretation of recent events is that Washington has detected that the quote-unquote "health care" industry and the insurance companies together have a pretty good scam going, and like any traditional political machine, they want a cut. That's all the lobbyists are doing, really... negotiating the terms of the deal.

Justice and a free market for you and I? Don't make me laugh. It's not in the cards.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My interpretation of recent events is that Washington has detected that the quote-unquote "health care" industry and the insurance companies together have a pretty good scam going, and like any traditional political machine, they want a cut. That's all the lobbyists are doing, really... negotiating the terms of the deal.
    You are so right That's why I don't agree with privatized health care...it is corrupt, and yes many congressmen are getting their piece of the pie and want to continue to feed at the trough. That's why I believe in more regulation of the industry so that people can't be eliminated for pre-existing conditions, or serious illnesses that come up and there is no coverage. That's why I am in support of single-payer because the pool of insureds is so large and it's more cost effective.

Of course any system will have its weaknesses, but we have to reform it now.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Oberon

After reading your reply twice, chica, I'm a little dizzy. I think I need to go get a cup of tea.

Thanks for agreeing with me on one point, at any rate.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^Ah well, what can I say? It's my nature to look at an issue from all sides...I can't disagree entirely with your position because there is a good point made about lobbyists. I would prefer to integrate what is good from both sides, if possible.

However, I don't agree with privatized or the free market approach for health care.

Enjoy your tea!
    Last edited by statuesquechica; 08-05-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Here's a reason why health care won't work as a privatized industry:

The demand for health care (namely pharmaceuticals) is EXTREMELY high. It's not a "free market" when you're obligated to pay whatever fees there are for a drug or a treatment that keeps you alive. You don't have a feasible alternative, other than death, which isn't even that feasible. Drug companies can charge whatever they want because they've formed an oligopoly.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Here's a reason why health care won't work as a privatized industry:

The demand for health care (namely pharmaceuticals) is EXTREMELY high. It's not a "free market" when you're obligated to pay whatever fees there are for a drug or a treatment that keeps you alive. You don't have a feasible alternative, other than death, which isn't even that feasible. Drug companies can charge whatever they want because they've formed an oligopoly.

Wouldn't lowering barriers of entry to the industry help?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well, it's nice to see the Democrats in Congress are capable of civilized debate. . . :steam:

Hit & Run > Democrats Decline to Listen to Unhappy Constituents, Decide to Label Them Nuts Instead - Reason Magazine

Dick Durbin in particular makes a gigantic ass of himself.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^ You know I read that article you put up pure_ merc and it is really laughable that the article calls the people yelling and shouting down any debate or discussion as "intelligent." They are pawns there for the benefit of the lobbyists. They are spreading fear and misinformation so that there is no real discussion in this country...listen to the actual tape of Sec. of Health Sebelius try to discuss this at a town hall meeting, rather than rely on that one website that you seem to have a fondness for (I notice the mention of free market on the logo so I wouldn't think it is an unbiased news source).

I will repeat the following:

There are several corporate lobbying firms that are sabotaging the current town halls that are taking place to discuss health care reform. One of the biggest offenders is FreedomWorks, lead by Dick Armey, as well as Right Principals and Americans for Prosperity. They are running coordinated efforts to sabotage and disrupt the town halls and FreedomWorks has even circulated an instruction booklet on the deliberate interference of such gatherings. The lobbyists representing AMA, PHRMA, AARP have received millions to stop single-payer dead in its tracks.

Insurance companies are literally making a KILLING off our perverse system of "health care"...and I do mean that literally.

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    ^ You know I read that article you put up pure_ merc and it is really laughable that the article calls the people yelling and shouting down any debate or discussion as "intelligent." They are pawns there for the benefit of the lobbyists. They are spreading fear and misinformation so that there is no real discussion in this country...listen to the actual tape of Sec. of Health Sebelius try to discuss this at a town hall meeting, rather than rely on that one website that you seem to have a fondness for (I notice the mention of free market on the logo so I wouldn't think it is an unbiased news source).

I will repeat the following:

There are several corporate lobbying firms that are sabotaging the current town halls that are taking place to discuss health care reform. One of the biggest offenders is FreedomWorks, lead by Dick Armey, as well as Right Principals and Americans for Prosperity. They are running coordinated efforts to sabotage and disrupt the town halls and FreedomWorks has even circulated an instruction booklet on the deliberate interference of such gatherings. The lobbyists representing AMA, PHRMA, AARP have received millions to stop single-payer dead in its tracks.

Insurance companies are literally making a KILLING off our perverse system of "health care"...and I do mean that literally.

There are plenty of people out there protesting on their own with no connection to any moneyed interest group. The fact that members of Congress called their own constituents "thugs" is shameful. I suppose people protesting the War in Iraq at Bush's ranch in Texas were "thugs," too? A lot of those protesters were organized by lobbying groups. That doesn't matter AT ALL. You're showing an atrocious bias in your characterization.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Gosh darnit, I forgot to predict you'd all be taking up the same CONSPIRACY THEORY espoused by the media that everyone at the town hall meetings speaking out against the healthcare issue and all the others in the background cheering along with them are merely political operatives who don't represent any of the voters because there sure as hell werent many thousands of people protesting this since late 2008 at tea parties and such. Oh boy, and let me not forget the CONSPIRACY THEORY that the tea parties were nothing but political public organizing (something I thought Obama was an expert in) by the GOP.... even though all of these events include people railing against the republicans as much as against the democrats so... yea.

Did I mention you're all a bunch of CONSPIRACY THEORISTS with not an ounce of intellectual honesty or acuity!?!?!

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS

I never knew hypocrisy could be such an elegant art form.