User Tag List

First 37454647

Results 461 to 469 of 469

Thread: Healthcare

  1. #461
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Devising a health care system where you make everyone buy the health insurance the government provides, lest you face fines and jail time, is:

    1. Not going to happen, because the general populace is not as stupid as the minority of people on this forum who support that idea.

    2. A shitty idea since what that does is make the young and healthy people pay for everyone else.

    IOW, mandatory government health insurance is socialism with a capital S, and it's not going to pass, obviously. There are real problems with healthcare, but NONE of these politicians are going to do a damn thing to fix it. That is not their prerogative. They don't give a shit about you, they are just inhuman egomaniacs concerned with their own careers and ideologies.

  2. #462
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    2. A shitty idea since what that does is make the young and healthy people pay for everyone else.
    You clearly have absolutely no clue how insurance works.

  3. #463
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You clearly have absolutely no clue how insurance works.
    Are you trying to say that premiums paid by healthy people would not go to cover the medical costs of sickly people?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  4. #464
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Are you trying to say that premiums paid by healthy people would not go to cover the medical costs of sickly people?
    No. I'm saying that this is how private insurance ALREADY works.

  5. #465
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    No. I'm saying that this is how private insurance ALREADY works.
    Don't be a dunce. My point was obviously that I disagree with the inane idea of FORCING more people/everyone to pay into everyone's insurance by making them purchase it. Since young people in their 20's have little need for it, they don't buy it now. Under such a government plan, they'd be forced to buy it, when they DONT need it, and it would serve as nothing more than a way to siphon money out of their wallets. It's stupid every way you slice it. There's no reason to argue it anyway, because it's not going to pass. People aren't that stupid.

  6. #466
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Don't be a dunce. My point was obviously that I disagree with the inane idea of FORCING more people/everyone to pay into everyone's insurance by making them purchase it. Since young people in their 20's have little need for it, they don't buy it now. Under such a government plan, they'd be forced to buy it, when they DONT need it, and it would serve as nothing more than a way to siphon money out of their wallets. It's stupid every way you slice it. There's no reason to argue it anyway, because it's not going to pass. People aren't that stupid.
    No, but apparently they are stupid enough to subsidize the emergency care that the uninsured do currently receive, at a rate of 3x that of normal care. But please, continue to ignore this fact in order to advance your talking points. The rest of us will continue to fix the problem, rather than stick our heads in the sand and pretend it's not there.

  7. #467
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    This.
    Wow.

    It's become so pervasive now that it can become just a little footnote in a story about a loyal dog.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #468
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,936

    Default

    i haven't read through this entire thread because it's huge but here's my recent bout with health insurance.

    the division of the company my husband is employed with was been purchased by a much larger company. upon joining, he was informed that the new company had excellent benefits, including heath care coverage. ha.

    we just finished signing up and have found out that while preventative care is covered 100%, other doctors visits (for flu, surgery, etc) are only covered 90% AFTER our 2300 deductible which sucks because i was paying a $15 co pay for those visits. so after october 31st when the old plan expires, i will have to pay whatever the doctor charges the insurance company for a dr's visit for any illness or surgery.

  9. #469
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    i haven't read through this entire thread because it's huge but here's my recent bout with health insurance.

    the division of the company my husband is employed with was been purchased by a much larger company. upon joining, he was informed that the new company had excellent benefits, including heath care coverage. ha.

    we just finished signing up and have found out that while preventative care is covered 100%, other doctors visits (for flu, surgery, etc) are only covered 90% AFTER our 2300 deductible which sucks because i was paying a $15 co pay for those visits. so after october 31st when the old plan expires, i will have to pay whatever the doctor charges the insurance company for a dr's visit for any illness or surgery.
    Health care providers should be required to publish their rates.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Similar Threads

  1. when will the U.S. get decent healthcare
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
  2. Alan Grayson on healthcare
    By avolkiteshvara in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
  3. Healthcare is on the emergency room table
    By LostInNerSpace in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  4. Question for doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers...
    By EffEmDoubleyou in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
  5. Contrive a healthcare industry acronym for "CFI"
    By Martoon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO