User Tag List

First 344243444546 Last

Thread: Healthcare

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    How do you numerically define those variables without injecting considerable amounts of bias?

Number of days it takes to set up a new business and corporate income tax rates are pretty objective, are they not?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Number of days it takes to set up a new business and corporate income tax rates are pretty objective, are they not?
    Not really. Former doesn't include the informal economy, and the latter doesn't include the various tax shelters countries provide. If you use Massachusetts' standards for those numbers, then the US ranks low on that scale. If you use Delaware's standards, then the US is very high.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Not really. Former doesn't include the informal economy, and the latter doesn't include the various tax shelters countries provide. If you use Massachusetts' standards for those numbers, then the US ranks low on that scale. If you use Delaware's standards, then the US is very high.
    The federal corporate income tax rate is very high in the U.S. (second only to Japan, I believe), but we have more ways of getting around it than most other countries.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The federal corporate income tax rate is very high in the U.S. (second only to Japan, I believe), but we have more ways of getting around it than most other countries.
    So we agree that this is a fundamentally underdefined means of qualification then?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

what is a federal corporate income tax rate again? nevermind

Obama made a great speech about healthcare. He seemed to want to bipartisan in his viewpoints. Some leftist democrats want a single payer system and some replublicans are being hounded by doctors who want malpractice limits. Obama addressed these issues.

All Americans should be insured by healthcare. Insured their health needs will be covered in times of need. Makes sound economic sense. Who ties up the time and creates the most expense with healthcare anyway, when all the numbers are added up? Why the uninsured of course! (may be wrong here but that's my initial take no my second take on it). Who ends up at the emergency rooms which costs far more than the office visit? The uninsured! See where I'm going on this?

The insurance companies need to know that their services were a byproduct of confused times. There is no need for insurance anyway. Back in the old day, standards of healthcare were given and the same throughout the population, not based on who had a ppo or hmo yaddayadda. Insurance companies are you in this solely for making a profit? If so, why? Also you entities are tacky imho. W.E.

People...people! Take care of your bodies!! My god, have you not consulted your spiritual mentors and traditions regarding the sanctity of life? Well then, there is no excuse for your ways. Banish thy sins from your nature! Make the decision to live a healthier lifestyle. First and foremost, do not smoke. Lungs are air sacs and cannot take the abuse. Do not overeat, especially fatty foods with transfats. Your fatty cells revert to keytones if you're not careful. Not sure about that last point. If you drink alcohol, do not drink! Just socially. While you ingest olives and brushetta. Or something of that ilk.

Anyway, you get my drift. Basic premise is all people deserve the same level of healthcare in the world. Same with food, shelter, means to livlihood, spiritual development, education, etc...Everything that is basic to thinskinned mammals belongs to us all. imho

thanks for listening. god bless you all. my name will be on the midterm election ballots. look for me there.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Good article by Tyler Cowen in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/bu....html?_r=2&hpw
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Radley Balko demolishes the arguments of those who rose up in anger against John Mackey (CEO of Whole Foods) and his WSJ op-ed piece here:

The Agitator

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    I recall many of your posts on this forum being very conservative, in a right wing way. If you really want, I'll look for them and post them.

I am still waiting for posts to this effect, BTW.

I am still waiting for posts to this effect, BTW.
    Been away on holiday. Just noticed your response.

I actually spent 5 minutes looking and only found one, but considering the the enormous number of posts.you made (got through 20 pages of posts), I realized I can't go through them all.

Richard Nixon was one of the most intelligent U.S. Presidents ever, and look what happened with him.
    I do admit I didn't read your first response explaining why you registered republican. I think it was you saying something about Noam Chomsky being an idiot, and how you don't want Democratic control of the house or congress. Maybe I was wrong and confusing you with other posters here.

Not that active on this forum and recalled many of the frequent posters in this section, anti-Obama before the election. I might very well have, mistakenly, blurred you in with Jack Flak and some of the others here.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by meanlittlechimp View Post
    Been away on holiday. Just noticed your response.

I actually spent 5 minutes looking and only found one, but considering the the enormous number of posts.you made (got through 20 pages of posts), I realized I can't go through them all.
    You won't find many right-winger posts from me. I am a major civil libertarian. I described myself as a "libertarian agnostic humanist" in one of the threads, in fact.

I do admit I didn't read your first response explaining why you registered republican. I think it was you saying something about Noam Chomsky being an idiot, and how you don't want Democratic control of the house or congress. Maybe I was wrong and confusing you with other posters here.
    I said that Chomsky should stick with linguistics, and I stand by that sentiment. I've read/listened to a bunch of his stuff, and he gets many things massively wrong.

And I appreciate the acknowledgment regarding my comments.

Not that active on this forum and recalled many of the frequent posters in this section, anti-Obama before the election. I might very well have, mistakenly, blurred you in with Jack Flak and some of the others here.
    I was never a fan of Obama's, but I don't hate the guy (no more than any other politician in Washington). I just would never vote for him.