User Tag List

First 273536373839 Last

Thread: Healthcare

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

people without insurance pay too much for healthcare in the US. once i took my child in for the ped to look at a spider/bug bite and he charged me 75 bucks for five minute look!. i complained to him and he got real mad.

doctors aren't very good here in the US. they take out huge loans for their education b/c they believe they can ultimately make big bucks being one. they really don't have the right mbti to be one, they are only becoming docs for the money. (could be wrong here)

the government has no business running healthcare but at a certain point someone needs to take a stand for the best interest of the group (US in this case). i'd like to see health insurance companies taken down a few notches. most of these businesses are greedy for money for the top earners, hire a bunch of kissbutts for running the office and really don't merit being paid over minimum wage.

everyone should get free or low reasonable cost for healthcare. everyone should take care of their health. i'm sick of seeing fat dabetics eating three cheeseburgers at mcdonalds for instance. makes me sick! (not that that matters much in the scheme of things, just saying). everyone needs to pay a little extra for their vices. like if they eat too much, drink, smoke, do not exercise, cuss too much, beat people up, take heroine, engage in hullicinations, prefer to sleep on the street, etc...then they must do or pay something a little extra just for the privilege of self determination.

that's my take on healthcare.

i'm sorry to say gb to sen kennedy too

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    people without insurance pay too much for healthcare in the US. once i took my child in for the ped to look at a spider/bug bite and he charged me 75 bucks for five minute look!. i complained to him and he got real mad.

doctors aren't very good here in the US. they take out huge loans for their education b/c they believe they can ultimately make big bucks being one. they really don't have the right mbti to be one, they are only becoming docs for the money. (could be wrong here)

the government has no business running healthcare but at a certain point someone needs to take a stand for the best interest of the group (US in this case). i'd like to see health insurance companies taken down a few notches. most of these businesses are greedy for money for the top earners, hire a bunch of kissbutts for running the office and really don't merit being paid over minimum wage.
    hear, hear.

you do get the feeling many physicians are burned out/don't give a real shit about you. one of the BEST experiences i had with one of my kids having to access health care was in CANADA (calgary). he fell down some rickety steps at a b & b there and we had to take him in to the ER. i was really worried about the ER because ERs here are notorious for long waits and apathetic workers. but NO! no wait, clean waiting room. NICE doctor who was gentle with my son. he was training an intern and they were so respectful of my son's space (he was 1 or 2 at the time). didn't order unecessary tests like x-rays and shit. spent time with us, told us what to watch out for, etc. it was awesome. and nothing like ERs here.

the other time i had to take a kid to the ER i was forced to drive 2 hours away to another town because when i called the ER doc on call for a problem my son had been having, he was an ass to me over the phone and basically condescended to me (i am a nurse practitioner) and i got the feeling he wasn't very good. (he had strep throat which turned into cellulitis of the submental nodes in his neck, and almost couldn't breathe. i had been accessing clinics here for half a week and he just kept getting worse-----no doctor accountability at all when i'd call the clinic back, after having been in there the previous day. they just kept telling me to take him to the ER)------so i drove to another ER in the middle of the night with my toddler. there i actually had a very good doctor (from lubbock originally) who was worth the drive. but the hospital still sucked ass and the nurses were bitches and they charged us $10K for a 3 night stay. the meds alone were like $4K.!
    Last edited by AphroditeGoneAwry; 08-29-2009 at 09:01 PM.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Yeah, all doctors are only in it for the money.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Don't people realize that health care is already rationed in this country?
    Bingo! I hate when people bring up this ridiculous argument against a strong public option. It is most certainly happening when insurance companies decide which procedures will take place, how long you stay in the hospital, which policies are cancelled (recission), and who doesn't get a policy at all.

We already have death panels: they are called insurance companies when they decide if your grandmother is too old for a certain life-saving procedure. Try to "appeal" an insurance company's decision and you will understand the meaning of futility.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENFJ

When people cite health care problems in Canada they all come from Toronto or somewhere around there. I have heard from a Canadian that apparently the health care system is only bad in Ontario and everywhere else it is fine.

Any ideas for why this is?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    When people cite health care problems in Canada they all come from Toronto or somewhere around there. I have heard from a Canadian that apparently the health care system is only bad in Ontario and everywhere else it is fine.

Any ideas for why this is?

It's not "fine" everywhere else, but Ontario is the most populated province, and much of Canada's budgeting is handled at the provincial level. Perhaps the number don't work out well there? I know many in the Canadian Rockies area (Alberta in particular) have been frustrated with government in Ottawa because their tax dollars (funded by oil, mainly) get spent much more in Ontario, Quebec, and the Maritimes.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah, all doctors are only in it for the money.
    The four I happen to know are. They will tell people they aren't close to that it's altruism, but privately they treat it as a business to make money. Nothing more. They also gripe about gross, obese, or stupid people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

^I dated one, whom in front of everyone, was a 'perfect' gentleman.. behind closed doors. Stuff he said to me about how he views race/people, telling me how he thinks that some people are genetically inferior due to skin color, why some people are obese and why it's entirely their fault.. (discounting the fact that hormones may also play a role for some). I was shocked. He even wanted to employ people whom he deemed as 'ethnically' inferior. Wow.

People like that actually treat patients. Had to dump him. ..

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Damn it, health care is TWO words...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

For those that think our health care system is just fine. Pay attention to the last sentence.

"A study reported in The American Journal of Medicine this month found that 62 percent of American bankruptcies are linked to medical bills. These medical bankruptcies had increased nearly 50 percent in just six years. Astonishingly, 78 percent of these people actually had health insurance, but the gaps and inadequacies left them unprotected when they were hit by devastating bills."

Even if you don't give two fucks if the guy next to you drops dead from a curable ailment. Consider the handicap our industries have when competing against others internationally. Consider the awaiting catastrophe from the aging baby boomers that are going to love longer and drain our inefficient costly system til it breaks. It's not a moral question, it's a simple economic one.