User Tag List

First 25333435363745 Last

Thread: Healthcare

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Then I should also distrust corporate heads, and the richest people in the nation, no?

I wouldn't automatically trust those people, no. It's much easier to punish a corporation that runs afoul of us, though. You can't really boycott the government, and good luck suing the feds. BTW, the original quotation of Lord Acton (who was awesome) is "Powers tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." And Reagan's "trust, but verify" maxim holds as true for corporations and individuals as it does for governments.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wouldn't automatically trust those people, no. It's much easier to punish a corporation that runs afoul of us, though. You can't really boycott the government, and good luck suing the feds. BTW, the original quotation of Lord Acton (who was awesome) is "Powers tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." And Reagan's "trust, but verify" maxim holds as true for corporations and individuals as it does for governments.
    I think you have it backwards. It is much easier to keep the government in check than the corporations.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    I think you have it backwards. It is much easier to keep the government in check than the corporations.
    I don't agree with this. Politicians like Blagojevich are making public relations appearances. Compare that to what happened to corporations like Worldcom and Enron, or Bernie Madoff, who was sentenced to 150 years in prison.

No, I think public perception is waaaaaaaay off on this issue. When a corporation is exposed, heads roll. When government officials do wrong, they always seem to get out of it, somehow. At worst, they get a slap on the wrist.

Do you expect Dick Cheney to ever spend a day in prison?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

"The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 57% oppose the plan if it doesn't include a government-run health insurance plan to compete with private insurers. "

With no public option, there is no competition.

I have a greater distrust of corporations that only have their investors to answer to and not how the profit is made. I also have a duty as a citizen to be informed and active in what my government does; that doesn't indicate complete distrust of government but vigilance.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    "The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey shows that 57% oppose the plan if it doesn't include a government-run health insurance plan to compete with private insurers. "

With no public option, there is no competition.

I have a greater distrust of corporations that only have their investors to answer to and not how the profit is made. I also have a duty as a citizen to be informed and active in what my government does; that doesn't indicate complete distrust of government but vigilance.
    Fee-for-service doesn't work that well with health care, since the profit motive often conflicts with ethical patient treatment. A public option won't change this. We'll just have another inefficient insurance provider in the mix, one that can't go bankrupt if it fails.

This issue has nothing to do with trust. Trust should be reserved for family and friends, not governments and corporations.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Fee-for-service doesn't work that well with health care, since the profit motive often conflicts with ethical patient treatment. A public option won't change this. We'll just have another inefficient insurance provider in the mix, one that can't go bankrupt if it fails.

This issue has nothing to do with trust. Trust should be reserved for family and friends, not governments and corporations.
    People are irreconcilably moronic. They elect leaders who openly display untrustworthiness towards others and somehow think that that quality wont continue to be expressed unto the abuse of their power in government. This also applies to everyone else in life. If someone has the ability to screw and fuck another person over, they can sure as hell turn around and do it to you. When someone openly communicates such things to me through their actions, I naturally let them venture as close as i need them to be, but i don't trust them any farther than i can throw them. Likewise, I see guys hook up with a chick who has a boyfriend (thereby cheating on him), end up dating the chick, and then are miraculously surprised when she turns around and does the same crap. Humans can be some blind fucking bats, but without the sufficient brain matter to even make sense of reality when it is explained to them clear as day for their ears to hear.

MBTI
    YaYa

Anyone know where I can get a really, really, really, big cross?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a really, really, really, big cross?
    Whose lawn do you plan to burn it on?

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Whose lawn do you plan to burn it on?
    Thats the part I was hoping you guys could help me with?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Thats the part I was hoping you guys could help me with?

I don't get the reference.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"