User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

Results 251 to 260 of 469

Thread: Healthcare

  1. #251
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wouldn't be diagnosed with anything, because I can't afford to pay for a doctor's visit without health insurance now. I will have about $150 in the bank after my next rent and utilities bill. Fortunately, A) I am a relatively healthy 26-year-old; and B) I am up for a job in the UCLA Health System. So, when I get it, I will then schedule appointments for the doctor and the dentist. I also will get prescriptions for some meds (I get cold sores on my mouth when the seasons change and/or I get sick; I have been quite insomniac recently, too). For now, I will tough it out. I don't like the situation. I always want to be protected on the back end. However, the odds are in my favor.
    Funny, most people I know who ARE libertarians say that the odds are in their favor, whether it's because of upper-middle class parents, youth, or a cushy job.

    What if the odds weren't in your favor? Would you just tough it out and die?

    That's the answer I'm looking for. I think I could actually respect a libertarian who could seriously tough it out and die and watch the people around him die. I still wouldn't agree with it, but then I could at least respect it.

  2. #252
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Funny, most people I know who ARE libertarians say that the odds are in their favor, whether it's because of upper-middle class parents, youth, or a cushy job.

    What if the odds weren't in your favor? Would you just tough it out and die?

    That's the answer I'm looking for. I think I could actually respect a libertarian who could seriously tough it out and die and watch the people around him die. I still wouldn't agree with it, but then I could at least respect it.

    The odds are in my favor because chronic health problems are blessedly rare for healthy people in their 20s. What if they weren't? It would be awful, no doubt about it. However, I would never FORCE other people to help me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #253
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The odds are in my favor because chronic health problems are blessedly rare for healthy people in their 20s. What if they weren't? It would be awful, no doubt about it. However, I would never FORCE other people to help me.
    But this isn't just about YOU.

  4. #254
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Oh, man, this is like the perfect illogical post.
    i may not win a debate but i'm usually pretty good at taking data, even when i do not follow politics daily, and running it through my intuition Ni/Ne, comparing it to what i know already, and getting a pretty realistic pic of how things are, or will be.

    1) More competition leads to lower prices. That is how markets work. One of the biggest problems in health care is that the barriers of entry are so high that relatively few companies can get involved, which leads to high profits and fewer choices for consumers.
    so you get lots of insurance companies involved. how will that really help anything? they are in business. they want to make money. they will just play the game too. and the consumers will lose. no one is naturally going to bat for the consumer having affordable health care because there is no money in it.

    2) CEOs don't get rich at patients' expense. In fact, no one who has a productive job gets rich at others' expense (politicians and thieves can and do, though).
    tsk. tsk. did you not read that nice article iwakar linked in this very thread about that whistleblower? you might find it enlightening regarding this and ceo's.

    You're looking at this issue as if making money were a zero-sum game; that is, if one person makes money, others lose money. That is not how the economy works, and it is a frankly disturbing view of the world for an adult to have.
    last i saw, our economy isn't working that great.

    3) I don't WANT the government to educate my children. I will do everything in my power to put them through private school. Wouldn't you if you could afford it? I understand the arguments for having public schools, and I wouldn't eliminate them, but ask yourself this: do you honestly think that children would not be educated if the government decided to get out of public schooling? There was schooling before the state mandated it. There were even free schools for the poorest children that were set up by rich philanthropists. If children didn't go to school then, it was because their parents' pressured them to work as soon as they were able, not because they couldn't afford to send them.
    don't you remember the stories about homesteaders? they basically weren't educated until towns (not philanthropists) made schools. i don't feel like looking for links, but i'm sure some education major/historian can probably show a direct correlation between government schools and public education. no, they are far from ideal, but maybe if we started paying teachers a decent salary, stopped over-crowding their schoolrooms, and expecting them to deal with our bratty kids, education would be a lot better.


    4) Libraries are run some of the lowest levels of government that exist, and the federal government doesn't tell you which books you are allowed to read (well, they tried to in the past, but people protested). And the Postal Service just sucks. That should be privatized. At the very least, you should be allowed to compete with them on first-class mail. Lysander Spooner did that with the American Letter Mail Company, and the government shut him down.
    most everyone i know likes their library options. it seems pretty lively when i go in. i agree, more money for more books would make it a lot better.

    5) Health care is absolutely, positively, 100% a business. And it should be.
    sick people can't be businessmen or women.


    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I never realized TYPOc had so many militia members.

    "Ur not takin ma guns and not givin me no commie health care"

    "Dey wanna pull tha plug on grandma. Daint happenin"


    ahahahhaha!! i love me a good chicago gangsta voice. yeah baby! i know, right? jeez people! no one's gonna kill your racist, hypocritical grandma.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #255
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post

    ahahahhaha!! love a good chicago gangsta voice. yeah baby! i know, right? jeez people! no one's gonna kill your racist, hypocritical grandma.
    I love it when white people call other white people racist. It's just humorous.... mostly because it makes EVERYONE involved look like a-hole ignoramuses.

  6. #256
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I love it when white people call other white people racist. It's just humorous.... mostly because it makes EVERYONE involved look like a-hole ignoramuses.
    who says i'm white? i think you may be making a big assumption there, mr intp............
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  7. #257
    Senior Member avolkiteshvara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    YaYa
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Cmon NT in denial Merc...............are you gonna just take that shit from them?

    Two girls are kicking your ass.

  8. #258
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    who says i'm white? i think you may be making a big assumption there, mr intp............

    hahhaa, risen. made you check, didn't i? i am milky white. but ooh lala. the only thing i like more than chicago gangsta is pwnin intps asses.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  9. #259
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post


    don't you remember the stories about homesteaders? they basically weren't educated until towns (not philanthropists) made schools. i don't feel like looking for links, but i'm sure some education major/historian can probably show a direct correlation between government schools and public education. no, they are far from ideal, but maybe if we started paying teachers a decent salary, stopped over-crowding their schoolrooms, and expecting them to deal with our bratty kids, education would be a lot better.


    Certainly the entire Appalachian region was sparsely educated for decades upon decades, and we're still dealing with the ramifcations of that shocking on-going ignorance today in the South.

    I think it's obvious to anyone with any real knowledge of history that government education vastly improved the average level of literacy and education in this country.

    And how will more ignorant people benefit the economy? I don't get that line of thinking, either.

    I didn't want to address this because it's so off-topic, but you're so right.

  10. #260
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    who says i'm white? i think you may be making a big assumption there, mr intp............
    Sorry, it was an assumption I made based on your profile pics, and I must conceide to the fact that though your complexion would indicate you are not of the party you claim to be the target of such "racism", you may very well be of a different race/ethnicity than the usual Caucasian. Either way, my point still applies here.

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    hahhaa, risen. made you check, didn't i? i am milky white. but ooh lala. the only thing i like more than chicago gangsta is pwnin intps asses.
    I checked that BEFORE I made the comment. I do my research BEFORE I speak . The major difference between so many of us...

    Asinine doesn't even begin to describe it.

Similar Threads

  1. when will the U.S. get decent healthcare
    By prplchknz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 11-11-2012, 12:22 AM
  2. Alan Grayson on healthcare
    By avolkiteshvara in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:24 PM
  3. Healthcare is on the emergency room table
    By LostInNerSpace in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  4. Question for doctors, nurses and other healthcare workers...
    By EffEmDoubleyou in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
  5. Contrive a healthcare industry acronym for "CFI"
    By Martoon in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO