Donklephant
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Looks like the public option is DOA.

Donklephant
    god bless america
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

i really hate to see obama selling out. imo, it's better just to wait it out another year rather than settling for more of the same. what's more competition going to really help? don't we have plenty of mortgage companies and banks and look where that led. more insurance companies is just going to make more ceo's rich, at more patient's expense. it's too serious an issue (people's lives) to just let private industry run the show. i mean why do you think government should educate our children but not help keep us well or save our life? why should we have libraries or mail? it makes our life better. having your health is not about business and shouldn't be about business.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Oberon

I'm just glad to see that Big Brutha doesn't yet own it all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

It seems intelligence has finally won over ignorance in this battle. Well done fellow followers of common sense in America. You have exceeded my expectations by adopting the same methods used by the left for so many years to push their devout nonsense upon this country. Like me you have learned that getting your hands dirty is sometimes a necessity as not all battles can be fought from a higher perch. Sometimes you must lower yourself to the level of your enemies in order to reach them and hurl them into the underworld where they belong. Learn their methods well my people, yet, do not EVER step into the position of of transforming into the devil you wish to defeat. Remember your principles, remember what it is you are fighting for, and march on to victory! Conquest is upon us, but the war is not over....

Seriously, it has been rather fascinating to watch. Good lord I love being proven right time and time again, and again, and again.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Seriously, it has been rather fascinating to watch. Good lord I love being proven right time and time again, and again, and again.
    how do you interpret that as being proven right? nevermind.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    i really hate to see obama selling out. imo, it's better just to wait it out another year rather than settling for more of the same. what's more competition going to really help? don't we have plenty of mortgage companies and banks and look where that led. more insurance companies is just going to make more ceo's rich, at more patient's expense. it's too serious an issue (people's lives) to just let private industry run the show. i mean why do you think government should educate our children but not help keep us well or save our life? why should we have libraries or mail? it makes our life better. having your health is not about business and shouldn't be about business.

Oh, man, this is like the perfect illogical post.

1) More competition leads to lower prices. That is how markets work. One of the biggest problems in health care is that the barriers of entry are so high that relatively few companies can get involved, which leads to high profits and fewer choices for consumers.

2) CEOs don't get rich at patients' expense. In fact, no one who has a productive job gets rich at others' expense (politicians and thieves can and do, though). You're looking at this issue as if making money were a zero-sum game; that is, if one person makes money, others lose money. That is not how the economy works, and it is a frankly disturbing view of the world for an adult to have.

3) I don't WANT the government to educate my children. I will do everything in my power to put them through private school. Wouldn't you if you could afford it? I understand the arguments for having public schools, and I wouldn't eliminate them, but ask yourself this: do you honestly think that children would not be educated if the government decided to get out of public schooling? There was schooling before the state mandated it. There were even free schools for the poorest children that were set up by rich philanthropists. If children didn't go to school then, it was because their parents' pressured them to work as soon as they were able, not because they couldn't afford to send them.

4) Libraries are run some of the lowest levels of government that exist, and the federal government doesn't tell you which books you are allowed to read (well, they tried to in the past, but people protested). And the Postal Service just sucks. That should be privatized. At the very least, you should be allowed to compete with them on first-class mail. Lysander Spooner did that with the American Letter Mail Company, and the government shut him down.

5) Health care is absolutely, positively, 100% a business. And it should be.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Oh, man, this is like the perfect illogical post.

1) More competition leads to lower prices. That is how markets work. One of the biggest problems in health care is that the barriers of entry are so high that relatively few companies can get involved, which leads to high profits and fewer choices for consumers.

2) CEOs don't get rich at patients' expense. In fact, no one who has a productive job gets rich at others' expense (politicians and thieves can and do, though). You're looking at this issue as if making money were a zero-sum game; that is, if one person makes money, others lose money. That is not how the economy works, and it is a frankly disturbing view of the world for an adult to have.

3) I don't WANT the government to educate my children. I will do everything in my power to put them through private school. Wouldn't you if you could afford it? I understand the arguments for having public schools, and I wouldn't eliminate them, but ask yourself this: do you honestly think that children would not be educated if the government decided to get out of public schooling? There was schooling before the state mandated it. There were even free schools for the poorest children that were set up by rich philanthropists. If children didn't go to school then, it was because their parents' pressured them to work as soon as they were able, not because they couldn't afford to send them.

4) Libraries are run some of the lowest levels of government that exist, and the federal government doesn't tell you which books you are allowed to read (well, they tried to in the past, but people protested). And the Postal Service just sucks. That should be privatized. At the very least, you should be allowed to compete with them on first-class mail. Lysander Spooner did that with the American Letter Mail Company, and the government shut him down.

5) Health care is absolutely, positively, 100% a business. And it should be.
    I'm not addressing anything else you've said because it's a bunch of extremist libertarian nonsense, but I've observed that for someone who lacks healthcare, you seem awfully obsessed with other people not having it, too. I wonder what would happen, hypothetically speaking of course, if Pure Mercury suddenly found out he had cancer.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm not addressing anything else you've said because it's a bunch of extremist libertarian nonsense, but I've observed that for someone who lacks healthcare, you seem awfully obsessed with other people not having it, too. I wonder what would happen, hypothetically speaking of course, if Pure Mercury suddenly found out he had cancer.
    Pure mercury would probably use his career, his family, and whatever other options he had to pay for however much care he felt he needed. even if it comes down to him recieving some sort of government aide, he obviously wont have to go out without treatment. You would have to TRY to not get treated in this country.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Pure mercury would probably use his career, his family, and whatever other options he had to pay for however much care he felt he needed. even if it comes down to him recieving some sort of government aide, he obviously wont have to go out without treatment. You would have to TRY to not get treated in this country.
    His career? As a waiter?

Allow Pure Mercury to answer the question.

I've had enough of theoretical, idealistic libertarian answers. I want a real answer.