Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    If we're going by "average" American, then they are getting excellent but expensive health care.
    Nope, the average American only makes about $30,000 a year, which means they often can't afford that "excellent but expensive" health care.

People who think they are "average" are frequently those who are actually living above average.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Nope, the average American only makes about $30,000 a year, which means they often can't afford that "excellent but expensive" health care.

People who think they are "average" are frequently those who are actually living above average.

The average adult American makes about $42,000 per year, and he/she gets medical coverage through his/her employer.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The average adult American makes about $42,000 per year, and he/she gets medical coverage through his/her employer.
    It's funny then that 60% of Americans view their health care as average or below average, considering how excellent you think it is.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^Bureau of Labor statistics for U.S. show the percentage of adults holding down full-time permanent jobs is in the MINORITY. The number of part-time work, contract work, temp work, student workers is increasing because corporations have found a handy way to keep down operating costs: contract the work out to labor firms. They don't have to pay for health benefits and the employers can't even push for worker's rights because they are contract employees.

Relying on an employer to provide health benefits is only for the lucky few.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    ^Bureau of Labor statistics for U.S. show the percentage of adults holding down full-time permanent jobs is in the MINORITY. The number of part-time work, contract work, temp work, student workers is increasing because corporations have found a handy way to keep down operating costs: contract the work out to labor firms. They don't have to pay for health benefits and the employers can't even push for worker's rights because they are contract employees.

Relying on an employer to provide health benefits is only for the lucky few.
    That's true, especially with the current economy. Now former professionals are competing with students and working class people for shitty jobs.

Many corporations will give their employees around 36 hours per week so that they don't qualify as "full-time" because they don't want to give them healthcare.

Pure Mercury doesn't even have health insurance. He just tenaciously hangs onto the belief that it will magically come for him again since he had it for the first 24 years of his life.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Your articles weren't that illuminating...the GOP plan only recently revealed last month is 4 pages long, is market-oriented with tax deductions/tax credits, will cost $700B, and critics say it won't do anything to expand health care to the uninsured.

Here's a quote from one of the articles:

"How much the Republican plan would cost and how many uninsured Americans would gain coverage remains unclear."

What astonishes me is how people keep hyperventilating about socialized health care and how the country will turn into "Communist Russia" (incredibly embarrassing to hear the general public's ignorance in this country) when we have government-run, socialized programs already: Social Security (since the 1930's) and Medicaid (since the 1960's). If you are so afraid of "socialized medicine" then you have to cut those programs as well.
    Last edited by statuesquechica; 08-15-2009 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Your articles weren't that illuminating...the GOP plan only recently revealed last month is 4 pages long, is market-oriented with tax deductions/tax credits, will cost $700B, and critics say it won't do anything to expand health care to the uninsured.

Here's a quote from one of the articles:

"How much the Republican plan would cost and how many uninsured Americans would gain coverage remains unclear."

What astonishes me is how people keep hyperventilating about socialized health care and how the country will turn into "Communist Russia" (incredibly embarrassing to hear the general public's ignorance in this country) when we have government-run, socialized programs already: Social Security (since the 1930's) and Medicaid (since the 1960's). If you are so afraid of "socialized medicine" then you have to cut those programs as well.

I'd be happy to phase those out. If I were able to opt out of SS right now, even if I would never get back the money I had previously paid in, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would end up with far more money in the long run.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    It's funny then that 60% of Americans view their health care as average or below average, considering how excellent you think it is.

And Americans who make $100,000 a year consider themselves "middle-class." What a person believes and what is real do not equate much of the time.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I'd be happy to phase those out. If I were able to opt out of SS right now, even if I would never get back the money I had previously paid in, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would end up with far more money in the long run.
    As I said before, your solution seems to focus on what is right for your situation only, while the solution itself has to encompass retired, employed, unemployed, under-employed, on all socio-economic levels.

I would love to find out what people over 65 would think of your proposal to "phase out" those government-run, socialized programs...I don't think it would even be considered by the vast majority of senior citizens because they rely heavily on those programs.

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

As I said before, your solution seems to focus on what is right for your situation only, while the solution itself has to encompass retired, employed, unemployed, under-employed, on all socio-economic levels.

I would love to find out what people over 65 would think of your proposal to "phase out" those government-run, socialized programs...I don't think it would even be considered by the vast majority of senior citizens because they rely heavily on those programs.

If they were getting their benefits, why would they care? That's what "phasing out" means. It would be unfair to take Social Security away from people who have been paying into it their whole lives, but that doesn't mean that we can't start taking steps to end it over the course of the next five decades. Older people are going to start to lose out soon in any event, because benefit decreases and/or raising of the retirement age are going to happen no matter what once the Baby Boomers are retired. You can't have only 2 people working for every 1 retiree in a pay-as-you-go system. The math simply does not work. I am looking at this situation AS A WHOLE. You are the one being shortsighted.