User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

Thread: Healthcare

MBTI
    ESFJ

Washington Post writer Robert J. Samuelson takes Obama to task regarding health care in a new article.

washingtonpost.com
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I have no health care at the moment (although that should soon change) and I do not want national health care.
    we went without health care for a year or so.......we gambled because we had never really used it, and my husband was starting a business and we couldn't afford it. of course, that was the only time one of my children needed to be hospitalized for 3 days. $9K dollars it cost us. and we are lucky, because we could afford to pay it over a year or two. we will never be uninsured again.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I have no health care at the moment (although that should soon change) and I do not want national health care.
    Though I currently have health care, I have lived without it at times.

I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiment. I do not want the Faustian "Red Right Hand" of the government giving me health insurance.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Here is a link to a recent survey that shows support of single payer:

http://www.srbi.com/TimePoll4794_Final_%20Report.pdf

Question pertaining specifically to single payer (and uses that language)
    shows poll results of:

49% favor
    46% oppose
    5% don't know

Senator Arlen Specter stated at a town hall that single payer is not off the table, and stated that most Americans still favor this choice.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    Here is a link to a recent survey that shows support of single payer:

http://www.srbi.com/TimePoll4794_Final_%20Report.pdf

Question pertaining specifically to single payer (and uses that language)
    shows poll results of:

49% favor
    46% oppose
    5% don't know

Senator Arlen Specter stated at a town hall that single payer is not off the table, and stated that most Americans still favor this choice.
    I've seen the video from that town hall meeting. It looked like he was the only single-payer advocate in the room.

Arlen Specter Townhall meeting on YouTube

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

^ What I like most about what he said is that is early in the process, and ALL options should be considered. I like a more expansive approach to solving a complex problem rather than prematurely rule out options.

In the end, the solution will probably include components of public and private care, after all Medicare is a government run program and is not going to disappear.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    we went without health care for a year or so.......we gambled because we had never really used it, and my husband was starting a business and we couldn't afford it. of course, that was the only time one of my children needed to be hospitalized for 3 days. $9K dollars it cost us. and we are lucky, because we could afford to pay it over a year or two. we will never be uninsured again.
    I have insurance, but I had to be taken in an ambulance to the hospital and was kept there three days for complications from a disorder I didn't even know I had, and the copay was huge, even with my good insurance. If I had not funded my flex plan well, my hospital bills could have been a source of stress and possibly have eventually affected my credit report/financial viability. No way I'd be without health insurance. It really is as reckless as driving without insurance.

And I'd be happy to pay more taxes if it meant more people could have coverage.

I'm on a forum not related to typology in which there are many older women, and they're all saying the same thing -- that if we had government health care, old people's care would consist of assisted suicide. It boggles my mind, but you can't talk them out of it. Some older Boomers are scared that they'll just be killed off.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I have insurance, but I had to be taken in an ambulance to the hospital and was kept there three days for complications from a disorder I didn't even know I had, and the copay was huge, even with my good insurance. If I had not funded my flex plan well, my hospital bills could have been a source of stress and possibly have eventually affected my credit report/financial viability. No way I'd be without health insurance. It really is as reckless as driving without insurance.

And I'd be happy to pay more taxes if it meant more people could have coverage.

I'm on a forum not related to typology in which there are many older women, and they're all saying the same thing -- that if we had government health care, old people's care would consist of assisted suicide. It boggles my mind, but you can't talk them out of it. Some older Boomers are scared that they'll just be killed off.
    interesting. yeah, i notice that with my parents. they really think they won't be able to get their heart surgeries without private insurance. i understand to a degree. but they are also very conservative/republican and have never really felt very empathetic to the people less fortunate than them. maybe it's that old "you have to work hard for what you get, and can't expect a handout" mentality, which i agree with to a point. but it's so hard nowadays with so many people in america. and families. sometimes people don't know how to save money or can't afford things to take proper care of their children (like healthcare) and i'd rather HELP them than see them, or the children, suffer.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Oh, I think they're getting propaganda. In the case of the people I'm referring to, it's not that they don't care about others -- they are just afraid of dying, and afraid they'll be disposed of. It's not an entirely unrealistic fear, given that kids can be pretty vocal about wishing the old folks would just get out of the way. But I do think they're getting propaganda.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Though I realize that they are over-reacting a good deal, I can also understand why they would fear this more than anyone else. Seniors are in the position to take the biggest loss if this proposal is not thought through well enough.

As for providing health-care for the less fortunate, there are two other reforms that need to be approached as soon as possible, if that is indeed the aim of this proposal, before I give anything other than staunch opposition to it. Those two reforms are malpractice lawsuit reforms, and welfare reform.

Bogus malpractice suits raise the cost of medical services enormously. If we do end up with a single-payer setup, and this issue is not thoroughly addressed, we will be costing ourselves an exorbitant amount of unnecessary costs, among other risks.
    Dr. Johnny Benjamin: Healthcare Reform and Defensive Medicine

Concerning welfare reform, there are far too many voluntarily jobless individuals who manipulate this system. They will be the ones to cause no end of trouble to any sort of single-payer system. I would gladly support a senior citizen, who's more than likely paid social-security all of their life, in their need for medical services that allow them to continue living in a healthy manner. I would also gladly support a child/minor in need of medical care if their parents are deadbeats. I would also help support a working, contributing citizen who may have fallen on hard times, etc.

But there has to be a way to filter deadbeats out of this or it will fail.

To put this in a social evolution perspective, society evolves by the strong aiding the weak in becoming strong, not by the weak willfully and intentionally dragging the strong into the mire because it's easier for them.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se