User Tag List

First 8161718192028 Last

Thread: Healthcare

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    Those polls you posted reaffirm my belief that Americans simply do not understand what a single-pay system would entail, or even what it is. Polls from the same website said that Americans are still fairly evenly divided on healthcare reform overall. I tend to wonder how these people think that every other developed nation seems to afford a nationalized system of healthcare, if they're so concerned with cost controlling as the primary issue for the world's richest government. If America ever wants to become progressive, it will need to shed a bit of its golden Libertarian qualities and either tax a bit more, or spend a bit less (on military), or both.. like any other G7 country.

I think you're totally wrong. I think that Americans probably would be less likely to favor a single-payer system the more they find out about how much it will cost and what it would entail. "Progressive" does not have a positive connotation to many Americans. Why should we try to copy other countries?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by statuesquechica View Post
    Yay! I found the poll when I looked at The Decline's earlier post regarding the media blackout of single payer option:

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Oct. 9-13, 2003. N=1,000 adults nationwide. MoE 3 (total sample). Fieldwork by TNS Intersearch.

"Which of these do you think is more important: providing health care coverage for all Americans, even if it means raising taxes, OR, holding down taxes, even if it means some Americans do not have health care coverage?"

Coverage for all 79%
    Holding down taxes 17%
    Unsure 4%

"Which would you prefer: the current health insurance system in the United States, in which most people get their health insurance from private employers, but some people have no insurance, OR, a universal health insurance program, in which everyone is covered under a program like Medicare that's run by the government and financed by taxpayers?"
    Current System 33%
    Universal Program 62%
    Unsure 6%

This poll was taken several years back and shows very different results. It appears the strategies being used by the insurance companies and their lobbyists are working on many Americans, especially the elderly.

Can I see a link to this poll? These numbers seem quite strange given the numbers we've got going now. Your conclusion about "insurance companies and lobbyists" seems ridiculous given the context of current numbers. Did it come from FAIR? That is not the most reliable media source in the world, to put it mildly.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I think you're totally wrong. I think that Americans probably would be less likely to favor a single-payer system the more they find out about how much it will cost and what it would entail. "Progressive" does not have a positive connotation to many Americans. Why should we try to copy other countries?
    You're right, Americans are knee-deep in the delusion of meritocracy.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

we are for national health care. as a mid-level provider and consumer, i see who is really in charge, and it is the insurance companies, and to a lesser degree, physicians. we are a middle-class family and most of us currently have high deductible insurance, which is a joke because it would basically only kick in for a major accident, not for average needs, so, like many other people with hd insurance, it is fear-based.

when americans argue that we get great health care for that dollar, it is totally untrue for the majority of patients. even now, if my child (or i) got sick, and we went in to the clinic, we most likely would see a mid-level provider (not a doctor, yet pay doctor prices), self pay after the visit--possibly (probably) for labwork or tests we weren't informed about that are very expensive, and pay top dollar for the meds.

the people have absolutely no power, because when you are sick you cannot shop around, or be very discrimating. you take what you can get.

SO: we would gladly pay more tax, even though we personally can afford health care, so that everyone else who is less able to, can get the help they need.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Can I see a link to this poll? These numbers seem quite strange given the numbers we've got going now. Your conclusion about "insurance companies and lobbyists" seems ridiculous given the context of current numbers. Did it come from FAIR? That is not the most reliable media source in the world, to put it mildly.
    Nope, it didn't come from FAIR. I found it on PollingReport.com under the Health Section but it originates from ABC/Washington Post poll which is at the top of my post. I tried to copy the whole poll but it came out looking squished, and I haven't put a link in a post yet. I will work on that.

Whether my conclusion is "ridiculous" or not, look at other polls from other sources and you will find support for single payer. PollingReport.com collects various polls under different topics and the most recent polls still show support for single payer.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Nope, it didn't come from FAIR. I found it on PollingReport.com under the Health Section but it originates from ABC/Washington Post poll which is at the top of my post. I tried to copy the whole poll but it came out looking squished, and I haven't put a link in a post yet. I will work on that.

Whether my conclusion is "ridiculous" or not, look at other polls from other sources and you will find support for single payer. PollingReport.com collects various polls under different topics and the most recent polls still show support for single payer.

I have yet to see a single poll beside the one you have cited that shows majority support single-payer health care.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    SO: we would gladly pay more tax, even though we personally can afford health care, so that everyone else who is less able to, can get the help they need.
    Absolutely, I would do the same. And the previous poll shows that the vast majority of Americans would do the same.

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    we are for national health care. as a mid-level provider and consumer, i see who is really in charge, and it is the insurance companies, and to a lesser degree, physicians. we are a middle-class family and most of us currently have high deductible insurance, which is a joke because it would basically only kick in for a major accident, not for average needs, so, like many other people with hd insurance, it is fear-based.

when americans argue that we get great health care for that dollar, it is totally untrue for the majority of patients. even now, if my child (or i) got sick, and we went in to the clinic, we most likely would see a mid-level provider (not a doctor, yet pay doctor prices), self pay after the visit--possibly (probably) for labwork or tests we weren't informed about that are very expensive, and pay top dollar for the meds.

the people have absolutely no power, because when you are sick you cannot shop around, or be very discrimating. you take what you can get.

I have no health care at the moment (although that should soon change) and I do not want national health care.

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I have yet to see a single poll beside the one you have cited that shows majority support single-payer health care.
    Go to PolllingReport.com, it's a collection of all the various polls taken on different subjects. Take a look...even most recent polls still show more support for Obama than the GOP's take on the subject.

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Go to PolllingReport.com, it's a collection of all the various polls taken on different subjects. Take a look...even most recent polls still show more support for Obama than the GOP's take on the subject.

I was just there. It says in black and white that less than half of Americans would support a single-payer system. Zogby also has recent polls with less than half of Americans supporting single-payer system. Can you provide another source from 2009 that suggests the majority would want single-payer?

Zogby International