User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default One of last British WWI vets laid to rest!

May he rest in peace with Christ!

Hundreds of people have lined the streets to watch the funeral of one of Britain's last World War I veterans.

Henry Allingham, who was in the Royal Naval Air Service in the war and later with the RAF, was the world's oldest man when he died 12 days ago aged 113.

Since his death, the last WWI veteran in Britain, Harry Patch, has also died.

Mr Allingham's funeral was followed by a flypast of five replica WWI aircraft. The veteran was being buried with full military honours.

Guests included the Duchess of Gloucester, the veterans minister Kevan Jones and senior figures from the Royal Navy and the Air Force.

Mr Allingham's funeral cortege left St Dunstan's care home, where he lived, at around 1115 BST, making its way slowly into Brighton city centre for the family service at St Nicholas Church.

Its arrival was greeted by a half-muffled quarter peal from local bell ringers and Royal Navy and Royal Air Force Guild of Ringers.

His coffin was carried into the church by three Royal Navy and three RAF personnel to reflect the war veteran's service with both.

Mr Allingham's medals were carried by two of his 16 great-grandchildren who are both currently serving in the US Navy.

Outside, a crowd of hundreds watched as the service was relayed on a big screen.

Among them was Dennis Goodwin, founder and chair of the First World War Veterans' Association, who said he would never forget Mr Allingham.

"I have been to many veterans' funerals but this is most special because it coincides with the end of an era."

Also watching proceedings was Eric James, 85, from Brighton.
    Read the rest, plus watch video here:
    BBC NEWS | UK | Hundreds at WWI veteran's funeral

MBTI
    INTJ

"A war to end all wars."

I'm not saddened by his death. He lived a long life. People should be more concerned about the young men that died during the first world war, and about the young men that continue to die today in Afghanistan.

MBTI
    NICE

Precisely what has Mr Allingham's longevity got to do with anything, other than a good set of inherited genes and the fortune of not getting blown up.

God forbid we should miss an opportunity for some crass, guilt-ridden outpouring of faux grief. All of which Mr Allingham is rather incidental to.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I think he was mostly calling our attention to it rather than inspiring any false grief of any kind. Perhaps I misinterpreted something, but....

It's interesting because it shows the end of a generation - a source that has 'died out' essentially, at least in terms of first-hand accounts. For people interested in history, that is interesting...
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I think he was mostly calling our attention to it rather than inspiring any false grief of any kind. Perhaps I misinterpreted something, but....

It's interesting because it shows the end of a generation - a source that has 'died out' essentially, at least in terms of first-hand accounts. For people interested in history, that is interesting...
    It is best for sources to record their views at the time whilst it is fresh in their minds. I am interested in history but I do not find it interesting that Harry Patch has died.

My point is that the media focuses on individual stories like this whilst overlooking the big picture. So, whilst politicians lament his passing, they continue to send young men to fight wars. This was something Harry Patch and his colleagues who have fought in the great war, given their experience and hindsight are probably opposed to. But their opinions don't really matter, they're just another photo opportunity.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    It is best for sources to record their views at the time whilst it is fresh in their minds. I am interested in history but I do not find it interesting that Harry Patch has died.
    Ok, so then don't read about it.

My point is that the media focuses on individual stories like this whilst overlooking the big picture. So, whilst politicians lament his passing, they continue to send young men to fight wars. This was something Harry Patch and his colleagues who have fought in the great war, given their experience and hindsight are probably opposed to. But their opinions don't really matter, they're just another photo opportunity.
    These are valid points as far as the big picture is concerned. However, that doesn't mean we should piss on Harry Patch's grave or he doesn't deserve recognition from his country for his service.

Otherwise it'd be like what happened in Germany, where Political Correctness prevented any real recognition to be given to the last surviving WWI veteran when he passed away. I was disgusted reading about that. :steam:

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I found it interesting...thanks for posting.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Ok, so then don't read about it.
    Peguy, oh Peguy!
    Why are you so ghey?
    "Because, because!
    God made me that way."

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Peguy, oh Peguy!
    Why are you so ghey?
    "Because, because!
    God made me that way."
    What's the matter? Victor not giving you any lovin' lately?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What's the matter? Victor not giving you any lovin' lately?

Classic projection.

No doubt you have a standing order at the local pharmacy for a large tub of vaseline, delivered in brown wrapping, on a fortnightly basis.