User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Seriously, wtf?

Enneagram
    1w2

This woman probably has postpartum psychosis, which is different from postpartum depression as Ivy metioned.

Should schizophrenic women be advised against having children?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post

yes!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Mental. Illness. According to the DSM standards, approx. 20% of people have at least a mild form of some illness (incl. depression and such illnesses).

This is extreme, but a good reminder to ourselves to inquire further if we think someone is mentally ill because people can suffer untold consequences from the mentally ill that are far and away ill.
    I saw a talk by a harvard prof from the WHO. 15% of folks suffer from mild mental illness. 10% moderate and 3-5% severe during thier lifetimes. Appears to be a worldwide statistic. By ignoring it as a society, we allow this sort of issue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Society is mentally ill. Our collective consciousness is ill. The only tangible expression of this illness is in each individual.
    I would be very interested to see if the above numbers have changed over the last 100 years. Also are certain animals "mentally ill"? Can you identify trends or is it a human thing imposed by increasing cognitive abilities.

This woman probably has postpartum psychosis, which is different from postpartum depression as Ivy metioned.

I think the depression can lead to psychosis correct in the worst cases-that mom who drowned her babies a few years back? so you would not need to be schizophrenic to develop the postpartum variety?? not sure though.

In any case you can't blame a psychotice person for thier actions-they are not in the real world anymore. I took a nueropshychpharma class in grad school and the teacher passed on a horrific story about a schizophrenic father. He was horrifically tortured by his own actions once lucid. It is heartbreaking.

MBTI
    ISTx

Advised? How about forbidden.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

i have a friend who has bipolar disorder as well as adhd and she once told me that she would never have kids because it would be unfair to more than likely pass her mental issues onto the child. i admire and respect her for that. another friend has some issues and her husband is bipolar and they too are not having children.

i did not read the story nor do i plan to. horrific.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I found this story as well.

Slain infant's mother mentally ill, her family says | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Sanchez's relatives are hoping authorities will take into consideration her history of mental illness, which included a recent diagnosis of postpartum psychosis.
    If she was diagnosed with postpartum psychosis why was she not hospitalized immediately? Why would they even chance it?

That day she checked herself into a hospital after hearing voices, but she soon checked herself out. She then took the baby to her mother's home. Buchholz called her every day to persuade her to return to their home.
    Why was she allowed to check herself out? Seems like everyone around her knew there were problems from family to health care workers. I can see the family being ignorant but the hospital? Who diagnosed her? WTF? I wont rule out drug use and falling through the cracks is one thing but holy shit.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.