User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Officer Defends Arrest of Harvard Professor

Officer Defends Arrest of Harvard Professor

Here's what I think happened: Cop gets called to investigate 911 call. Black professor, with special background in African American culture is approached by cop and self-fulfills prophecy of racism, cop responds to contempt of officer, done.

The irony of this whole thing is the cops name is James Crowley - also known as "Jim" Crowley, lol. What I want to know is who is this guys that called the cops on his own neighbor?
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

yeah, this is pretty bad. professor gates is a man of certain age, and i believe he even carries a cane. tell me if the cambridge cops would have stopped a white man of the same profile..
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by demimondaine View Post
    yeah, this is pretty bad. professor gates is a man of certain age, and i believe he even carries a cane. tell me if the cambridge cops would have stopped a white man of the same profile..

Stopped? They went to his house. Do you mean that they wouldn't have asked a white man for ID and proof of residence? That's possible.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by demimondaine View Post
    He was responding to a 911 call that the house was being broken into. When Gates failed to produce a license with an address and became belligerent [What, a black man can't own a home in Cambridge!?] he was arrested.

I don't really see how he was profiling.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Racism is and will always be an issue everywhere you go. You can't defeat it. You can come damn close with laws of equality but in the end, everybody is naturally racist in his or her instincts. I read something by an Anthropologist that talked about how racism has been ingrained in out minds since the first humans walked the earth.

You have a tribe of early humans living together and they are out hunting one day when they come across another tribe bearing appearances that have never been seen before. Early human instincts were to either attack or investigate, both two actions representing some sort of difference recognized between the two species. It's in our genes to initially recognize strict differences and to be curious or hatred towards other races. It's really sad.

You can say you aren't a racist and can practice in non racial ways, but you should certainly realize where it comes from.

But there really are a lot of people out there who really aren't racists. It's just the sense of recognition that will always be there. We've kind of adapted oursoulves out of it, though.

As for this case, F the Police! Ignorant fools with their little toys, so wrapped up and sickened by their power.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

More food for thought: The Gates Case

Professor Gates might not have been arrested if hed been more submissive let the cop win the masculinity contest. Every brotha has played that game as well: you dont look the popo in the eye, you do say sir a lot, and maybe you wont get locked up. Then you go home and stew in the stuff that gives African-American men low life expectancy in America.
    Paul Butler

The officer, rather than treat Professor Gates as a respected member of the Harvard faculty, probably expected more deference from him because he was black. Professor Gates, in turn, probably offered more defiance because the officer was white. Just as the officer may have presumed that Professor Gates did not belong in the upscale neighborhood, Professor Gates may have presumed that Crowley was a racist, intent on harassing him.

There is no question that the officer overreacted. Professor Gates should never have been handcuffed and taken to jail. But if we are to understand not only this disturbing incident but more tragic interactions as well, we need to look beyond the question of racial profiling. We need to appreciate the myriad historical and contemporary factors that too often poison relations between African Americans and law enforcement agencies.
    Ralph Richard Banks
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    As for this case, F the Police! Ignorant fools with their little toys, so wrapped up and sickened by their power.
    If the police were called to investigate a possible break-in into my house under the same circumstances, I would appreciate the fact that they would not simply take the the suspect's (i.e. my) word that this was in fact my house. There is corrobative testimony to the effect that Gates became belligerant to an officer of the law-that's what he was arrested for.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Cambridge is notoriously racist. When I was moving out of the dorms there, the security guard wouldn't let me leave with my stuff until another student (read: white student) vouched for me. And I'm not even all that dark. Could be unrelated. Hmmm. Take it for what it's worth.

I wonder who called 911 on Prof. Gates...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    If the police were called to investigate a possible break-in into my house under the same circumstances, I would appreciate the fact that they would not simply take the the suspect's (i.e. my) word that this was in fact my house. There is corrobative testimony to the effect that Gates became belligerant to an officer of the law-that's what he was arrested for.
    Agreed. But it seems as though the cops were being a bit judgmental and were assuming this man would be hostile or that he really shouldn't have been living there..I could be wrong..that's just what my gut tells me, and I really wouldn't doubt it.

I just feel cops abuse too much of their power, in general, and this disrespect for the police is met by my also hatred towards prejudice.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    You will always find ways to corroborate a story. Cops stick together.