First 678910 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Do you?
    You framed that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    If he was passing judgment about something for which he had no direct experience.
    He learned about it through news reports. Same way we did. Nothing wrong with commenting on that. Unless the news reports are lying.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

He's supposed to do what is right.
    No he's not. I wouldn't have voted for him if that was the case. He's supposed to do what's right given the situation, or be pragmatic.

George W. Bush "did what was right" every time. The problem is, most people didn't agree with him on what was right, nor did his Manichean rigidity comply with reality often.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    No he's not. I wouldn't have voted for him if that was the case. He's supposed to do what's right given the situation, or be pragmatic.

George W. Bush "did what was right" every time. The problem is, most people didn't agree with him on what was right, nor did his Manichean rigidity comply with reality often.
    To me that is doing the right thing.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    He learned about it through news reports. Same way we did. Nothing wrong with commenting on that. Unless the news reports are lying.
    MSNBC: Typical police brutality and racism, this time from Cambridge, Mass., as a renowned and eminent Harvard professor is arrested in his own home...

Fox News: This professor, one who supposedly teaches our children values and how to be a productive member of society, goes and outright disrespects one of America's finest, and is audacious enough to call him a racist? Mr. Gates, I think we all know who the true racist is. (Barack Obama, Sonia Sotomayor)

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah. "Going with the gut" is just dumb.

I think Obama will go down as one of the shrewdest and most pragmatic politicians of our time. Which is a good thing in my book.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

To me that is doing the right thing.
    Given the political realities of the situation, he did do the right thing. He's not going to lose support by saying the police acted wrongly - most of his base is skeptical of the police in general. Likewise, not defending the African-American gentleman does open him up to criticisms of hypocrisy and Uncle Tom-ism.

I don't see what's so terrible about that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

MSNBC: Typical police brutality and racism, this time from Cambridge, Mass., as a renowned and eminent Harvard professor is arrested in his own home...

Fox News: This professor, one who supposedly teaches our children values and how to be a productive member of society, goes and outright disrespects one of America's finest, and is audacious enough to call him a racist? Mr. Gates, I think we all know who the true racist is. (Barack Obama, Sonia Sotomayor)
    Yes, I'm fairly sure the reality of the situation is actually somewhere in between those two extremes...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah. "Going with the gut" is just dumb.

I think Obama will go down as one of the shrewdest and pragmatic politicians of our time. Which is a good thing in my book.
    I have high hopes, but we'll see. He has the benefit of following a buffoon.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

My take is that according to all reports, the officer did everything by the book. That was a mistake on this part. This was clearly a situation that required discretion by the officer...
    BOOM, there it is.

MBTI
    INTP

A good reason to stick to the Associated Press or Reuters if you just want straight news reporting.