User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Either way, race or not, dragging an older, distinguished Harvard professor out of his own home, after checking his credentials, is absurd and shameful.
    Woot woot!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Was Obama disrespecting truth?
    Do you?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Was Obama disrespecting truth?
    If he was passing judgment about something for which he had no direct experience.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I hope that camera's got a panoramic lens on it.
    They've got 360 degree lenses now. You just need a small camera that can be worn easily with some way to store the video stream. Tada, no more Monday morning quarterbacking. Just review the logs.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Wow, suspected racial profiling in the Boston area. Anything else new?

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    This is a race issue, Tilty. Boston/Cambridge cops and locals are notorious for this. He did not mouth off to the cops, he asked them to provide their names and badge numbers. But of course, he says one thing and they say another. After knowing him personally and personally dealing with race relations in that city and around the University, I highly doubt their version of the events. But whatever. I'm not interested in arguing it.
    Pretty much this.

Anyone of any color that has spent substantial time in the Boston/Cambridge area and pays attention knows how corrupt the police there are.

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    You're right in the sense that people choose what to believe.

Some people still think OJ Simpson is innocent.
    and some people think its okay for Woody Allen to marry his own daughter.

Obama was a community activist. And police brutality is one thing that Im sure he dealt with as an activist. I just see it as a political activist inside of him. As well as supporting his friend.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

My take is that according to all reports, the officer did everything by the book. That was a mistake on this part. This was clearly a situation that required discretion by the officer - as soon as it was determined that it was Gates's house (which really, all it should take is an elderly man saying "this is my house"), he should have apologized for bothering him, apologized for this sort of thing still happening in this country upon recognition of Gates's agitation over the race issue, and gone back, done the report, and ended it there.

There's a time for hard adherence to procedure. This wasn't one of those times. Especially when the Cambridge Police Department has had so many issues with profiling before.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    If he was passing judgment about something for which he had no direct experience.
    I keep quoting you.

The thing about Obama's commentary, should people expect this to be officially on the record? He was asked a question about this at the end of a speech about the health care bill he's trying to push. I would've taken his answer as a statement of opinion more than anything else. And didn't he admit he didn't know all the facts of the situation before he commented?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

I've been involved several times with the lying quagmires that are police reports, but it's the "official" record of what goes down so I guess people believe it, because you know the police don't lie about the version of events.
    ^Very true from my own experience as well. I have seen cases of written "confessions" from people who couldn't write. I know because I had to write notes for these clients.

The official police report will be distributed, people will make their decisions based on their experiences and belief of law enforcement in general. Racism will always be the elephant in the room.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENTP

I keep quoting you.

The thing about Obama's commentary, should people expect this to be officially on the record? He was asked a question about this at the end of a speech about the health care bill he's trying to push. I would've taken his answer as a statement of opinion more than anything else. And didn't he admit he didn't know all the facts of the situation before he commented?
    You're right. Good point.