User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I heard the police report account of the ENTIRE exchange. What it boils down to is the police received a call from a neighbor who was profiling the black man as a potential robber trying to break into a home (which was actually the man's own home), and so the police came out to investigate as they are obliged to do. The officer was not threatening or rude in any way. He came to the property and questioned the professor about what he was doing there and who owned the house. The professor was defensive and rather hostile from the get go. Why was he so uncooperative? Because he's an old, likely bitter, black man whos been through it all and likely faced COUNTLESS instances of people profiling him just because he's black and having police hassle him for it. I should know, its happened to ME, a black man, many times.

The exchange continued where the officer tried to gather info, and the professor was being belligerent. It got to the point where he was making a scene and disrespecting the officer, resulting in his arrest. Now, I fully sympathize with him being mad inside because of the profiling and the hassle of having police come to your house because some stupid s*** neighbor thought you were there to rob somebody by virtue of the fact that your skin is of a darker pigment. However, the way he acted was just asking to get him arrested. That was his fault, he shouldn't have acted that way.
    Exactly!

Two wrongs were committed here. Neither of them was by the police officer.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    From that CNN piece, Crowley sounds like the most reasonable person. Never accusing Gates, simply justifying his state of mind at the time. Believe it or not, most people don't know who Henry Louis Gates is. Obama sounds like a dumbass for getting involved in something so minor.
    Because contrary to your opinion, Gates is well known and well respected. He was instrumental in getting Obama where he is today.

Now, Gates may have overreacted, but why arrest a feeble man in his own home for being upset? Arrest, really???

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Because contrary to your opinion, Gates is well known and well respected. He was instrumental in getting Obama where he is today.

Now, Gates may have overreacted, by why arrest a feeble man in his own home for being upset? Arrest, really???
    Well known and respected by other academics and activists perhaps. Less respected than Tony Romo by the rest of America.

Eh, Obama is just stuck. If he doesn't say anything, he looks like a traitor to his race (despite not even being African-American in the usual sense). If he says something, he looks like a dope for getting involved in something so inconsequential.

violaine

They tased an older white women in Texas recently for being mouthy/resisting arrest iirc. Police culture?

Also, if the police officer was worried about his safety I would think he may think using someone elderly as a look out could be an effective ruse if a house is being broken into. Maybe I'm just paranoid though. But I would definitely want proof and the person to obey my directions for the safety of everyone.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Maybe you're right Synarch. Maybe we're judging the cop too much.

But like Jenocyde said, I still think arresting him is a little obscene. Could they have complied with his orders first and then actually questioned Mr Gates? Innocent until Proven guilty? Maybe it was just a mistake, but it would frustrate me if I were in Gate's position.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Maybe you're right Synarch. Maybe we're judging the cop too much.

But like Jenocyde said, I still think arresting him is a little obscene. Could they have complied with his orders first and then actually questioned Mr Gates? Innocent until Proven guilty? Maybe it was just a mistake, but it would frustrate me if I were in Gate's position.
    You can either let someone stand there and yell at you and let the situation escalate or you can take them into custody, which is the safest course, to be honest. Don't you guys watch "Cops"? When people even appear to be unreasonable and putting up a fight you put the cuffs on.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Well known and respected by other academics and activists perhaps. Less respected than Tony Romo by the rest of America.

Eh, Obama is just stuck. If he doesn't say anything, he looks like a traitor to his race (despite not even being African-American in the usual sense). If he says something, he looks like a dope for getting involved in something so inconsequential.
    There is no such thing as African American in the "usual" sense. You have a drop of black blood and you are black in this country. I doubt most of us have been to Africa.

He lived on University property in a University town, he is well known by academics - which is the whole damn town.

If Obama doesn't say anything, he looks like a traitor to Gates, who like I said, has been instrumental in Obama's progress.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post
    They tased an older white women in Texas recently for being mouthy/resisting arrest iirc. Police culture?

Also, if the police officer was worried about his safety I would think he may think using someone elderly as a look out could be an effective ruse if a house is being broken into. Maybe I'm just paranoid though. But I would definitely want proof and the person to obey my directions for the safety of everyone.
    It was my understanding that they went into his house and inspected his credentials prior to any talks of arrest.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by sanveane View Post

Exactly. Newsflash: elderly people (even distinguished professors who are friends with the President) commit crimes. The people who see racism everywhere are often the worst racists.

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It was my understanding that they went into his house and inspected his credentials prior to any talks of arrest.
    I have seen a report that he then followed the officer outside. Which is apparently when the trouble began. Though the full details of the incident probably remain to be seen.