User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 139

  1. #21
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I'm not negating that black people are hassled by the police. I'm just saying it doesn't matter who you are or what color you are, if you back talk the police in any way, you're likely to get it. In any way. Anything other than "Yes, sir" seems to make them go into orbit. That's my experience as a white woman.

  2. #22

  3. #23
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm not negating that black people are hassled by the police. I'm just saying it doesn't matter who you are or what color you are, if you back talk the police in any way, you're likely to get it. In any way. Anything other than "Yes, sir" seems to make them go into orbit. That's my experience as a white woman.
    This was clearly not the situation.

  4. #24

    Default

    No matter how you put it, both parties were at fault, if the police have come to your house and tell you they were called in because of a supposed break in and wish to see proof that this house is yours, you don't take offense to it. The police officer was doing his/her job. The one thing that will forever hinder African Americans from collectively reaching far as a racial group is the fact that they assume that everyone is racist towards them, if anything people are far more lenient to them than to any other race. Would there have been a thread about this if the guy was white? None of you guys could call me racist because I am black myself, I've just seen the way that some African Americans act.

    I would be a fool to say that racism is over because it will never be over but give it a rest, no one hates you because your black and if they do then they are most likely ignorant country bumpkins who still have the mindset of early 20th century.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

  5. #25
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    According to him, he invited them into his home and showed them his identification. It only turned ugly when they would not provide their own information.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    This was clearly not the situation.
    Jenocyde, it clearly IS the situation. He asked them why they were there. He asked them for their names and badge numbers. That seems reasonable to reasonable people, but to cops, it is challenging, and they always seem to go ballistic if you say anything but yes, sir. Whether you're black or white or male or female.

  7. #27
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    No matter how you put it, both parties were at fault, if the police have come to your house and tell you they were called in because of a supposed break in and wish to see proof that this house is yours, you don't take offense to it. The police officer was doing his/her job. The one thing that will forever hinder African Americans from collectively reaching far as a racial group is the fact that they assume that everyone is racist towards them, if anything people are far more lenient to them than to any other race. Would there have been a thread about this if the guy was white? None of you guys could call me racist because I am black myself, I've just seen the way that some African Americans act.

    I would be a fool to say that racism is over because it will never be over but give it a rest,[B] no one hates you because your black and if they do then they are most likely ignorant country bumpkins who still have the mindset of early 20th century.
    This argument is ridiculous. Sure, the country bumpkin ignorance is just something that should be overlooked - because there is no way in hell they could ever damage a person, right? What if they become cops? Whatever.

  8. #28
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Jenocyde, it clearly IS the situation. He asked them why they were there. He asked them for their names and badge numbers. That seems reasonable to reasonable people, but to cops, it is challenging, and they always seem to go ballistic if you say anything but yes, sir. Whether you're black or white or male or female.
    If he were a white man asking for credentials, do you think they would have given them to him? I've seen it happen, Tilty.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It was his neighbor that called the cops on him.

    This is the statement from Prof. Gates camp:



    This brief statement is being submitted on behalf of my client, friend, and colleague, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. This is a statement concerning the arrest of Professor Gates. On July 16th, 2009, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., 58, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor of Harvard University, was headed from Logan airport to his home [in] Cambridge after spending a week in China, where he was filming his new PBS documentary entitled ďFaces of AmericaĒ. Professor Gates was driven to his home by a driver for a local car company. Professor Gates attempted to enter his front door, but the door was damaged. Professor Gates then entered his rear door with his key, turned off his alarm, and again attempted to open the front door. With the help of his driver they were able to force the front door open, and then the driver carried Professor Gatesís luggage into his home.

    Professor Gates immediately called the Harvard Real Estate office to report the damage to his door and requested that it be repaired immediately. As he was talking to the Harvard Real Estate office on his portable phone in his house, he observed a uniformed officer on his front porch. When Professor Gates opened the door, the officer immediately asked him to step outside. Professor Gates remained inside his home and asked the officer why he was there. The officer indicated that he was responding to a 911 call about a breaking and entering in progress at this address. Professor Gates informed the officer that he lived there and was a faculty member at Harvard University. The officer then asked Professor Gates whether he could prove that he lived there and taught at Harvard. Professor Gates said that he could, and turned to walk into his kitchen, where he had left his wallet. The officer followed him. Professor Gates handed both his Harvard University identification and his valid Massachusetts driverís license to the officer. Both include Professor Gatesís photograph, and the license includes his address.

    Professor Gates then asked the police officer if he would give him his name and his badge number. He made this request several times. The officer did not produce any identification nor did he respond to Professor Gatesís request for this information. After an additional request by Professor Gates for the officerís name and badge number, the officer then turned and left the kitchen of Professor Gatesís home without ever acknowledging who he was or if there were charges against Professor Gates. As Professor Gates followed the officer to his own front door, he was astonished to see several police officers gathered on his front porch. Professor Gates asked the officerís colleagues for his name and badge number. As Professor Gates stepped onto his front porch, the officer who had been inside and who had examined his identification, said to him, ďThank you for accommodating my earlier request,Ē and then placed Professor Gates under arrest. He was handcuffed on his own front porch.

    Professor Gates was taken to the Cambridge Police Station where he remained for approximately 4 hours before being released that evening. Professor Gatesís counsel has been cooperating with the Middlesex District Attorneys Office, and the City of Cambridge, and is hopeful that this matter will be resolved promptly. Professor Gates will not be making any other statements concerning this matter at this time.
    Sounds exactly like it could have been an inside job, but I know it wasn't.

    It does sound like somebody did set him up. Damage his front door before he gets home, knowing he's on vacation, calling the cops when he does home and putting him under arrest for no reason.

    Seriously, cops? Really?

    "Hmm. I'm bored this afternoon. John, want to go knock down Mr. Gates' front door, wait for him to get home, and then arrest him?

    Yeah, sounds like a great idea, I never liked him. "
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  10. #30
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Alright, whatever. This is a futile discussion. See ya.

Similar Threads

  1. What type is Michio Kaku? (Professor of Theoretical Physics)
    By RaptorWizard in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-19-2013, 09:35 PM
  2. Venezuela government orders troops to streets, arrests + tortures 100s of opponents
    By Il Morto Che Parla in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
  3. Dept. Of Heath And Human Services Defends Child Abuse
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 05:09 PM
  4. Long Island man arrested for defending his home with AK-47 rifle
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 09:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO