User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Cambridge is notoriously racist. When I was moving out of the dorms there, the security guard wouldn't let me leave with my stuff until another student (read: white student) vouched for me. And I'm not even all that dark. Could be unrelated. Hmmm. Take it for what it's worth.

I wonder who called 911 on Prof. Gates...
    Probably some upper class New England rich boys with their sweater vests who drove by in their Mercedes looking for some fun.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It was his elderly white neighbor, who had been living side by side with him for years.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Probably some upper class New England rich boys with their sweater vests who drove by in their Mercedes looking for some fun.
    Or maybe just his neighbor.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm convinced after my recent experience with the cops that it's a police issue, not a race issue. Anybody who mouths off to the cops will get it. Even me, the opposite of a black man.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    It was apparently some woman, who was not a neighbor.

As for jenocyde's comments, cops might stick together, but current evidence provides more support for the cops' perspective on this incident.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

This is a race issue, Tilty. Boston/Cambridge cops and locals are notorious for this. He did not mouth off to the cops, he asked them to provide their names and badge numbers. But of course, he says one thing and they say another. After knowing him personally and personally dealing with race relations in that city and around the University, I highly doubt their version of the events. But whatever. I'm not interested in arguing it.

MBTI
    INTP

It was his elderly white neighbor, who had been living side by side with him for years.
    I thought I read that the woman was not a neighbor, though its possible I misread it. If she was neighbor, then I would agree that's more than a little fucked up.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Or maybe just his neighbor.
    I know, I just would like to think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm convinced after my recent experience with the cops that it's a police issue, not a race issue. Anybody who mouths off to the cops will get it. Even me, the opposite of a black man.
    Maybe so, but it depends on the way the cops confronted this man. it really sounds like they were a bit racy to him. I know I would have mouthed off to the cops. It's a proper fight between ethics and Laws, IMO, if they were really being racy with him, I don't know, and if he did retort belligerently.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It was his neighbor that called the cops on him.

This is the statement from Prof. Gates camp:

This brief statement is being submitted on behalf of my client, friend, and colleague, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. This is a statement concerning the arrest of Professor Gates. On July 16th, 2009, Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr., 58, the Alphonse Fletcher University Professor of Harvard University, was headed from Logan airport to his home [in] Cambridge after spending a week in China, where he was filming his new PBS documentary entitled ďFaces of AmericaĒ. Professor Gates was driven to his home by a driver for a local car company. Professor Gates attempted to enter his front door, but the door was damaged. Professor Gates then entered his rear door with his key, turned off his alarm, and again attempted to open the front door. With the help of his driver they were able to force the front door open, and then the driver carried Professor Gatesís luggage into his home.

Professor Gates immediately called the Harvard Real Estate office to report the damage to his door and requested that it be repaired immediately. As he was talking to the Harvard Real Estate office on his portable phone in his house, he observed a uniformed officer on his front porch. When Professor Gates opened the door, the officer immediately asked him to step outside. Professor Gates remained inside his home and asked the officer why he was there. The officer indicated that he was responding to a 911 call about a breaking and entering in progress at this address. Professor Gates informed the officer that he lived there and was a faculty member at Harvard University. The officer then asked Professor Gates whether he could prove that he lived there and taught at Harvard. Professor Gates said that he could, and turned to walk into his kitchen, where he had left his wallet. The officer followed him. Professor Gates handed both his Harvard University identification and his valid Massachusetts driverís license to the officer. Both include Professor Gatesís photograph, and the license includes his address.

Professor Gates then asked the police officer if he would give him his name and his badge number. He made this request several times. The officer did not produce any identification nor did he respond to Professor Gatesís request for this information. After an additional request by Professor Gates for the officerís name and badge number, the officer then turned and left the kitchen of Professor Gatesís home without ever acknowledging who he was or if there were charges against Professor Gates. As Professor Gates followed the officer to his own front door, he was astonished to see several police officers gathered on his front porch. Professor Gates asked the officerís colleagues for his name and badge number. As Professor Gates stepped onto his front porch, the officer who had been inside and who had examined his identification, said to him, ďThank you for accommodating my earlier request,Ē and then placed Professor Gates under arrest. He was handcuffed on his own front porch.

Professor Gates was taken to the Cambridge Police Station where he remained for approximately 4 hours before being released that evening. Professor Gatesís counsel has been cooperating with the Middlesex District Attorneys Office, and the City of Cambridge, and is hopeful that this matter will be resolved promptly. Professor Gates will not be making any other statements concerning this matter at this time.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

This is a race issue, Tilty. Boston/Cambridge cops and locals are notorious for this. He did not mouth off to the cops, he asked them to provide their names and badge numbers. But of course, he says one thing and they say another. After knowing him personally and personally dealing with race relations in that city and around the University, I highly doubt their version of the events. But whatever. I'm not interested in arguing it.
    That's what I heard.

And why did his neighbor, or whoever called the cops, really call the cops? What that a race issue?