half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    That wasn't exactly how I wanted it to come across but I could see how it would offend someone sorry. What I had originally meant was that although racism isn't over people are far more accepting and far less racist than they were 60 years ago.
    Very true, and thanks for the clarification. I, myself, am a mixture of many things and I hear it from all sides. Everyone has something against everyone else, in private of course. And there's nothing wrong with that. I am guilty of that, too. I would love to blame the Dems for this current economic crisis ()

I'm tired of the blame game and nothing pisses me off more than someone who is full of excuses. The only thing that comes close are those who pretend problems don't exist.

I only spoke about racism here in relation to the Boston/Cambridge police, of which I have much experience with. I know the typical Southie Cop, and they are not pleasant folks. I've lived all over the world and I have never seen such blatant 'isms' anywhere else, except perhaps in Madrid. And yes, I am aware that I am blaming an entire group of people. You guys will get over it, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Very true, and thanks for the clarification. I, myself, am a mixture of many things and I hear it from all sides. Everyone has something against everyone else, in private of course. And there's nothing wrong with that. I am guilty of that, too. I would love to blame the Dems for this current economic crisis ()

I'm tired of the blame game and nothing pisses me off more than someone who is full of excuses. The only thing that comes close are those who pretend problems don't exist.

I only spoke about racism here in relation to the Boston/Cambridge police, of which I have much experience with. I know the typical Southie Cop, and they are not pleasant folks. I've lived all over the world and I have never seen such blatant 'isms' anywhere else, except perhaps in Madrid. And yes, I am aware that I am blaming an entire group of people. You guys will get over it, I'm sure.
    Oh I know everyone is secretly prejudiced I come from a culture where the people hate so much that we ended up destroying everything because of silly prejudices. Somalis, the only people who got bored of hating on other people that they began to hate on themselves.

Things like the blame game personally piss me off because I see it so much in my high school, kids who refuse to learn and prevent others from learning and then scream out RACIST whenever someone punishes them for a misdeed. The blacks in my school get too much preferential treatment and I'm sick of it.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    INTP

It's good. People should be thanking the damn Police officer because people are talking about it. At least some police officers will be a little more cautious going forward. It would have helped it the police officer said, "I understand the sensitivity of the situation and apologize if my actions were misconstrued".

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    Oh I know everyone is secretly prejudiced I come from a culture where the people hate so much that we ended up destroying everything because of silly prejudices. Somalis, the only people who got bored of hating on other people that they began to hate on themselves.

Things like the blame game personally piss me off because I see it so much in my high school, kids who refuse to learn and prevent others from learning and then scream out RACIST whenever someone punishes them for a misdeed. The blacks in my school get too much preferential treatment and I'm sick of it.
    What is an example of preferential treatment, in your estimation?

MBTI
    INFj
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    It's good. People should be thanking the damn Police officer because people are talking about it. At least some police officers will be a little more cautious going forward. It would have helped it the police officer said, "I understand the sensitivity of the situation and apologize if my actions were misconstrued".
    My sentiments exactly.
    I've looked at life from both sides now
    From up and down and still somehow
    It's life's illusions I recall
    I really don't know life at all

Joni Mitchell

MBTI
    ENTJ

I really don't think racial profiling is solely about racism. I think the fact that socioeconomic status is so closely linked to race is a bigger factor. Using profiling to pull over a black man in a nice neighborhood wearing a suit and driving a decent car is clearly not a good decision, but don't adopt the appearance of a criminal and not expect to be suspected of being one. If I started driving a blacked out Escalade with 24" spinners on it, it would be really hard for me to be upset at getting pulled over. This clearly isn't related to the Gates/Crowley thing but is related to profiling in general.
    Omg.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

The incident was really unfortunate. I really liked Professor Gate's PBS documentary. So, replaying situation:

Professor Gates spend a week in China shooting a documentary and comes back likely jetlagged, exhausted to his home and ends up having to push the door open.

An elderly neighbor calls the police on suspicion of a break-in.
    FAIL
    Having said that, I'm sure many crimes arr prevented every year because over-vigilant elderly neighbors are home to report them. Was she racially motivated in reporting it - likely yes. She could have just looked carefully enough to notice a cab (what break-in crew uses a taxi to get away) or her neighbor. Wow.

Police get called in. Do what would be expected of them in asking for identification and proof of residence. Fine so far even though clearly from his clothes, the fact that he had luggage from his trip to corroborate his story, was talking on the phone to the real estate office -- all signs that he was likely not trying to stage a break-in (or just taking his own sweet time doing it??? When did common sense get replaced?)

Professor Gates: Clearly exhausted and now shocked to be questioned in his own home, provides identification and asks for the police officer's information because he is acutely aware of racial profiling and assumes correctly or incorrectly here that he is the victim. Fact is, being questioned like that in your own home is intimidating and scary and would make anyone agitated. I would likely be even more agitated after getting off a long plane ride and having to break into my home to get in.

I don't see any problem here. A fair minded officer would have just provided the information. if he was playing by the book, why was he afraid to give his name and badge number? if he was so in tune with profiling issues, why didn't he just calmly tell Prof Gates that he was just doing his job and that he was sorry for the inconvenience? he also had backup at the door, didn't he?

Prof Gates follows the officer to the door and finds a bunch of other officers there. When he asks them for information on Crowley (the only explanation is that words were exchanged between them), he is now ARRESTED????
    This part is completely shocking and unnecessary and an abuse of power. The man is not armed, middle-aged, just asking for information which is well within his rights. The police officer is also surrounded by other police officers outside with no threat to his person. He was likely arrested on grounds of not cooperating when he had actually provided the evidence needed. There were no other grounds on which he could be arrested. Power Abuse - FAIL and pretty unacceptable.

Obama's comments were problematic just because he is supposed to be a neutral party in this situation until guilt has been proven. He changed his statements because he realized that his statement reflected his personal connection with Gates and that should not have motivated his comment. He should have waited to learn all the facts and then made a statement. of course he didn't actually say anything wrong or objectionable because the police did act daftly by arresting Prof Gates. Unnecessary.

Synthetic Darkness -- if minorities and Blacks in particular are constantly given preferential treatment, why is it that we continue to find a large gap between all measures of development and access to basic resources between the Black community and the majority Caucasian community?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    Officer Defends Arrest of Harvard Professor

Here's what I think happened: Cop gets called to investigate 911 call. Black professor, with special background in African American culture is approached by cop and self-fulfills prophecy of racism, cop responds to contempt of officer, done.

The irony of this whole thing is the cops name is James Crowley - also known as "Jim" Crowley, lol. What I want to know is who is this guys that called the cops on his own neighbor?
    Who is this guy?

A guess.
    He is a recent arrival from Maryland, or Virginia. Whatever.
    The guy took for granted his new home is in all white neighbourhood.

A day or two go by.
    One day he looks out of the window.
    He spots the neighbour, the first time.
    It is easy to detect a professional person.

He knows it is the neighbour. He calls the cops all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    What is an example of preferential treatment, in your estimation?
    The fact that they can get away with so much in our school, bad mouthing teachers, skipping school, smoking, doing drugs they don't try to hide these things the teachers really don't do anything, they bring knives to school and get warnings, they can get away with some of the most sexist, homophobic remarks and not even get a reprimand. And you know what they use as an excuse for their behavior...I grew up in a bad neighborhood and everyone hates me because I'm black...now seriously...I grew up in the same neighborhood as these people I've had the same opportunites I'm the same race, I think it's even worse for my family because we're immigrants so to see them squander the advantages they have and then blame it on their race is completely ridiculous that's why I don't have a shred of sympathy for any of them.
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

Prematurity is the order of the day --from the professor's assumptions, the cops enforcement procedures, the president's comments, and the earlier responses in this thread.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke