User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

As I told you in private, a terrorist organization is an organization that deliberately targets civilians, either as political objectives, or simply as military targets.
    By that definition we should consider the United States of Army of WWII as terrorists. After all targeting two civilian cities in order to force Japan to surrender (ie political objective) can be considered terrorism by this definition.

How about Israel of the 1948 war? or the South African government during the apartheid regime?

How about the IDF at present?

Because if they are then I withdraw all points about the LTTE not being a terrorist organization, if the US and others somehow don't fit then you need to rework your definition.

The fact is that Terrorism is not properly defined and anybody can just randomly state that their opposing factions as terrorists.

That was the case of the LTTE. They targeted first and foremost THOUSAND of civilians: monks, villagers, employees, farmers, innocent people who took the train or the bus... and so on. The list and extent of their crimes is absolutely horrifying.

They would even make Al Qaeda look like amateurs, when you consider the sheer number of their victims.

No other "ordinary" separatist guerilla did behave this way: it's an unique or an almost unique phenomena.
    This post is 100% truth so I'm not going to dispute this. I've seen this first hand.
    It can only be compared to the Lebanese Hezbollah, which is quite similar.
    That and the PLO.

I'm sorry, but the followers of the Dalai Lama never targeted civilians
    or planted bombs in trains or crowded markets.
    But the people of Xinjiang did, would you call these terrorists?

Plus, Dalai Lama followers won't ransom the Tamil diaspora communities like a mafia (just like the LTTE did), or execute the infortunate shopkeepers who refuse to pay the "war tax" (we had several cases like that in Paris Tamil community).
    Do you see the difference?
    I agree with this post.

Whatever their cause was, even if it was a just cause, even if the Tamil people has really been oppressed by the Sinhalese majority, it never ever justified the way they defended it.

So frankly, forgive me but I'd say good riddance with the LTTE!!!
    I agree too, the death of Prabakaran was a good day in Sri Lanka's history. The military defeat of the LTTE was a good thing too, unfortuantley this isn't going to shift move to moderate polices but more of a hardline stance that created this civil war in the first place.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    Of course. Laughter is good.

But it is quite easy to pour 100% of your resources into an area the size of Taiwan.
    China also had more potential resources at its disposal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    By that definition...
    :rolli:

Fine, change the definition to "those who deliberately target civilians disproportionately to military targets or as a first resort."

I'm not impressed with sophistic attempts to hide behind moral equivalence.

And whatever their past sins, hooray to the Sinhalese government for eradicating one of the single worst terrorist organizations in modern history.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Perhaps we are just arguing a semantic point however my claim is that we gained our independence and united a whole Continent without killing anyone. And I stand by that for no aborigines were killed to gain our independence from Britain. And no aborigines were killed to unite a whole Continent in Federation in 1901.

And of course no one else was killed.

We had no War of Independence like the USA or a Civil War to unite us.

And further my claim is that we conducted ourselves peacefully among one another because we had imbibed the principles of the Enlightenment at our birth.
    There were only 3.7 million people in Australia at the time of independence. Despite Australia being a "whole continent", that's not really that impressive.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

They were born enlightened.

Victor lives under the delusion of grandeur.

Idealistic and subjective in his opinions and reasoning.

Thumbs down No Blood on the Wattle

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    There were only 3.7 million people in Australia at the time of independence. Despite Australia being a "whole continent", that's not really that impressive.
    There was no "time of independence". Independence from Britain was achieved slowly, piece by piece, at the agreement of both parties.

And it is true the USA's War of Independence and the USA's Civil War are more impressive than peacefully gaining our independence and uniting a whole Continent, as well as peacefully and successfully claiming half of another.

And it is true that killing very large numbers of people is more impressive than killing no one.

But the fact remains - there is no blood on the wattle as we were born during the Enlightenment and remain enlightened today.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Guys, Australia isn't real..it's all a hoax to spark fear.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Thumbs down The Lucky Country

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Guys, Australia isn't real..it's all a hoax to spark fear.
    The truth is no one fears us.

Our security is based on friendship with many countries including the USA.

No one will attack us because they know they would be taking on most of the world.

Our latest and successful initiative is the G 20. The G 20 as you know has replaced the G 8 in ordering the world's finances.

We were not members of the G 8 but we wanted a seat at the top table so we created a new table and naturally a brand new seat for ourselves.

They call us the, "Lucky Country", but in truth we make our own luck.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

Fine, change the definition to "those who deliberately target civilians disproportionately to military targets or as a first resort."

I'm not impressed with sophistic attempts to hide behind moral equivalence.

And whatever their past sins, hooray to the Sinhalese government for eradicating one of the single worst organizations in modern history.
    That definition still doesn't work since you could easily lump Israel with them or hell even the Sri Lankan Government or any carpet bombing mission of any kind.

Also I agree with your last line, even if it was only half of the LTTE.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    That definition still doesn't work since you could easily lump Israel with them or hell even the Sri Lankan Government or any carpet bombing mission of any kind.

Also I agree with your last line, even if it was only half of the LTTE.
    Sri Lankan army doe not have carpet bombing technology. Please try not to listen to what the BBC says all the time. Media like to make things up.

ps -

But if the Sri Lankan air force did have carpet bombing technology they would use it.

But they didn't have it.