User Tag List

Thread: Scapegoats?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Scapegoats?

This video is almost a year old, but I found it interesting.

[YOUTUBE="hxMInSfanqg"]Yay Nancy[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not happy with what Republicans did when they were in power (I voted for more Democrats than Republicans in the last election). But seeing things like this reinforces my opinion that people like Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank have no fucking clue what they're doing and they're not fit to govern anyone.

I worry about what they're going to screw up next.

Here's some more:

[YOUTUBE="cMnSp4qEXNM"]Yay Barney[/YOUTUBE]
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It's odd to me that people get presented with the most left-wing members of the House of Representatives (where each individual member has very little power), and thinks they're representative of the whole Democratic Party. It's also odd to me that more people do not realize that said members are where they are because of procedural issues, as opposed to the party's agreement with their ideology.

Speaker of the House only has power through his or her regulation of parliamentary procedure - there is very little policy-making that coincides with the position's responsibilities. The Chair of the House Financial Services Committee is always going to be unpopular with those who think that financial institutions shouldn't be regulated.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize the supremacy of idiocy that exists within Pelosi and Barney Frank. Your inability to make such a judgment sooner in the game should provoke you to consider augmenting how you view the world so that such a blind spot doesn't present itself again.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognize the supremacy of idiocy that exists within Pelosi and Barney Frank. Your inability to make such a judgment sooner in the game should provoke you to consider augmenting how you view the world so that such a blind spot doesn't present itself again.
    Explain their idiocy. All I see is politicians being politicians, and doing things that they must to stay elected.

Why is wanting to be re-elected idiotic?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The Chair of the House Financial Services Committee is always going to be unpopular with those who think that financial institutions shouldn't be regulated.
    This doesn't make sense. Frank is the one who didn't want to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Others called for regulation and he killed it in committee.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This doesn't make sense. Frank is the one who didn't want to regulate Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Others called for regulation and he killed it in committee.
    Umm, there's a pretty distinct difference between "not wanting to regulate" and "not wanting to move Fannie and Freddie from HUD oversight, because he felt the housing side of those companies was more important than the financial side".

What the GOP likes to call "regulation" was actually be increasing pressure to cut costs within FNMA and FHC, and as such, reduce the available service to lower-income families. Essentially, it would be a typical plan to reduce social services. Had we known how far into the bad paper the two were, there might have been a different approach. However, FNMA and FHC aren't to blame for that bad paper - they did their job and took lending institutions in good faith. While we know better now, tell that to someone in 2005.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Umm, there's a pretty distinct difference between "not wanting to regulate" and "not wanting to move Fannie and Freddie from HUD oversight, because he felt the housing side of those companies was more important than the financial side".

What the GOP likes to call "regulation" was actually be increasing pressure to cut costs within FNMA and FHC, and as such, reduce the available service to lower-income families. Essentially, it would be a typical plan to reduce social services. Had we known how far into the bad paper the two were, there might have been a different approach. However, FNMA and FHC aren't to blame for that bad paper - they did their job and took lending institutions in good faith. While we know better now, tell that to someone in 2005.
    This is such a load of political BS. Equity fell. Some people saw the problem. Others decided to make it an issue of race or whatever to further their own political careers. Whether you feel Republicans could have fixed the problem is irrelevant. The point is, some recognized the problem but others refused to acknowledge it.

The idea that everyone should own a home is absurd, just like the fantasies of 100% employment.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This is such a load of political BS. Equity fell. Some people saw the problem. Others decided to make it an issue of race or whatever, to further their own political careers.
    No, it's because we're familiar enough with American politics to know what's generally going on even when the opposition is being typically disingenuous. I grew up in a staunchly Republican household. I am very familiar with their political ideology. Most of it is to sell racism and xenophobia in the most subtle way possible. I'd explain it further, but you'd just project and call me a racist. Hint: pointing out racism and being racist are not the same thing.

What would moving FNMA and FMC to Treasury do other than result in a reduction of service to low-income borrowers, as there would be no more institutional mandate to provide such services? Even if there are other outcomes, wouldn't this be a significant outcome?