User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    ESFJ

And both major political parties are opportunistic. They have some ideologues, but platforms change as political necessities dictate. Fifty years ago, the Republicans were the party of "peace and prosperity" and they derided the Democrats for being interventionist and belligerent abroad. It changes all the time.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And both major political parties are opportunistic. They have some ideologues, but platforms change as political necessities dictate. Fifty years ago, the Republicans were the party of "peace and prosperity" and they derided the Democrats for being interventionist and belligerent abroad. It changes all the time.
    Still, the interest groups are pretty consistent. The "kill all people not like us/USA USA USA" fringe of the modern GOP also happens to be the same Southern fringe that dominated the Democratic Party fifty years ago.

Parties realign, but the players remain surprisingly consistent.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Still, the interest groups are pretty consistent. The "kill all people not like us/USA USA USA" fringe of the modern GOP also happens to be the same Southern fringe that dominated the Democratic Party fifty years ago.

Parties realign, but the players remain surprisingly consistent.
    No, not really. The interventionist wing of the Democratic Party in the early- to mid-20th Century was the Wilson/Roosevelt/Truman group of East Coast and Midwest liberals. "Make the world safe for Democracy" sound familiar?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

No, not really. The interventionist wing of the Democratic Party in the early- to mid-20th Century was the Wilson/Roosevelt/Truman group of East Coast and Midwest liberals. "Make the world safe for Democracy" sound familiar?
    Woodrow Wilson was a Southerner, through and through. Had the outrageously racist views to back it up, too. Remember, this is when Maryland was still considered Southern, and South Jersey had much in common with Md. at the time. Not only that, but the "safe for democracy" was pure rhetoric - Germany's form of government (outside of Brandenburg-Prussia) was arguably as democratic as that of the United States at the time, save for the recently-ratified 17th Amendment (direct election of Senators) in the US and the unelected head of state/executive power in Germany. Of course, that could be countered by the universal male suffrage that Germans enjoyed at the time for the lower house of the Reichstag (something the US wouldn't have until the Voting Rights Act of 1965) and relatively democratic outer state (not Prussia) governments.

Yeah, the liberal internationalists ended up moving to the Republican Party (Rockefeller Republicans) after they became a little anxious over FDR's social programs, if not first during the 1920s over anti-Wilsonianism and Red Scare politics (as the Populist and Social Progressive wings of the Democratic Party started to gain strength). They became the military-industrial complex side of the GOP (George H.W. Bush wing), while the influx of Southern Conservatives became the populist wing (clamoring for war) and post-Communist intellectuals became the neocons.

Progressivism/Liberal Internationalism wasn't a single-party initiative, either - Teddy Roosevelt and W.H. Taft, strong progressives (even if Taft didn't have the force of character TR did) were both Republicans.

MBTI
    STFU

Oh, and pissing off left-wingers is a vital function that needs to be performed regularly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I would just like to add that republicans are the condom keeping this Country from being infected by the government! Though I could get into my major issues with them ass well. I would like a balanced human being in office.

If I have to make the choice this is like choosing being stuck on an island with en ESFJ or an ESFP, both are totally useless (Saslou not included) and both would make me want to kill them a lot. I mean, you can't win, flip a coin and end up with stupid one or stupid two.

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    6. They do like to kill people... poor and/or brown people especially.
    Yeah this is out of line, killing poor people is fine, killing brown people is fine, killing poor brown people is also fine but killing people just because they're poor or brown is uncalled for!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    I would just like to add that republicans are the condom keeping this Country from being infected by the government! Though I could get into my major issues with them ass well. I would like a balanced human being in office.
    In terms of keeping this country from being infected by the government, George W. Bush was the pit full of used hypodermic needles from Saw II.

If I have to make the choice this is like choosing being stuck on an island with en ESFJ or an ESFP, both are totally useless (Saslou not included) and both would make me want to kill them a lot. I mean, you can't win, flip a coin and end up with stupid one or stupid two.
    Or you might end up with someone who is actually enjoyable to be around and might be sensible enough to survive.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

In terms of keeping this country from being infected by the government, George W. Bush was the pit full of used hypodermic needles from Saw II.

Or you might end up with someone who is actually enjoyable to be around and might be sensible enough to survive.
    I think Bush was a moron but I shudder to think what would have happened if Gore was there instead. When the USS Cole was bombed killing or injuring over 50 Americans Clinton was basically like "hey guys, that wasn't very nice, please don't do that again".

At least Bush wasn't afraid to make a hard choice and kill a bunch of folks.

And as of yet I've never met an ESFJ that hasn't gone mad with age.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Samvega View Post
    I think Bush was a moron but I shudder to think what would have happened if Gore was there instead. When the USS Cole was bombed killing or injuring over 50 Americans Clinton was basically like "hey guys, that wasn't very nice, please don't do that again".

At least Bush wasn't afraid to make a hard choice and kill a bunch of folks.

And as of yet I've never met an ESFJ that hasn't gone mad with age.
    Umm, most likely the same thing, with the glaring exception of invading Iraq. Afghanistan was target #1 after 9/11, and no one would have disagreed.

Hopefully, we would have taken a more pro-active approach to reducing the world's dependency on petroleum both for the sake of reducing anthropogenic climate change and so we could tell the Saudis to piss off. Oh, and we wouldn't have had to deal with Ahmadinejad due to the POTUS making an idiotic State of the Union comment.

And ESFJs don't all go mad - they just go mad if they don't have grandchildren to dote on