User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Then what is fiscal responsibility?
    Spending money on a program without the means to pay for it. We should not be borrowing for regular expenses like entitlements or defense (outside of an attack on US soil). We should only borrow in the case of catastrophes, and even then there should be rigorous cost/benefit analysis performed.

But this isn't politically expedient for either party.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Spending money on a program without the means to pay for it. We should not be borrowing for regular expenses like entitlements or defense (outside of an attack on US soil). We should only borrow in the case of catastrophes, and even then there should be rigorous cost/benefit analysis performed.

But this isn't politically expedient for either party.
    Why not say then that you're in favor of balanced budgets, no matter what it takes to get there, be it increased revenue through heavier taxation, or reduction of spending through cutting programs? Why clothe it in such an emotionally charged word as "responsibility"?

Is it expedience or feasibility?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why not say then that you're in favor of balanced budgets, no matter what it takes to get there, be it increased revenue through heavier taxation, or reduction of spending through cutting programs? Why clothe it in such an emotionally charged word as "responsibility"?

Is it expedience or feasibility?
    People already use the term and I'm too lazy to come up with a new term. If I was a politician, I would probably put forth the effort.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Positive Aspects:

1. Right to life
    2. Conservative family values
    3. Education priority
    4. Reduce spending (generally, minus Bush, asshole!)
    5. Stay out of foreign affairs (except Bush, idiot!)
    6. Pro death penalty (many of them)
    7. Strong military
    8. Pro-business
    9. Anti-regulation (economy, gun laws,)
    10. Usually try to reduce taxes

Negative Aspects

1. Many right to life aspects conflict with other ideological stances
    2. Too much economic freedom can be detrimental
    3. Too much decentralization in education can create huge deficits in poor areas (quality of education)
    4. Too little regulation can create massive problems when people shirk responsibility
    5. Fewer taxes means less support from the government, which can sometimes have negative effects
    6. A lot of people slip through the cracks.
    7. The Republican party has become a lot more interventionist in recent years, which results in raising taxes, endangering troops and causing international havoc. They have become more hawkish and less cautious.
    8. Economic lobbies have too much power with politicians (but that's true with democrats as well) - having too many pro-business stances neglects other important aspects (environment, other interests, labor, etc.)
    9. They focus so much on moral values that they fail to place the right priorities.
    10. They fail to recognize that over-regulation in moral issues has the exact same negative impact as over-regulating the business sector, which is a contradiction.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP

They are almost never self-hating.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

^^^ So true.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

Alright, I'll play...

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Positive Aspects:

1. Right to life
    2. Conservative family values
    3. Education priority
    4. Reduce spending (generally, minus Bush, asshole!)
    5. Stay out of foreign affairs (except Bush, idiot!)
    6. Pro death penalty (many of them)
    7. Strong military
    8. Pro-business
    9. Anti-regulation (economy, gun laws,)
    10. Usually try to reduce taxes
    I know that you listed negative aspects that are similar to mine but I'm a lot better at criticism.

1. Abortion was not a religious issue until recently and the "morality" of abortion was based on the fear that minorities (blacks) would increase in population more rapidly than whites (Protestant middle class women were the ones having abortions). "The right to life" has been a political maneuver to align with the Christian church, despite going against the conservative ideologies the party was built on.

2. "Conservative family values" means that the government allows people to raise their families without intervention. It means being cautious and conscientious of the effects that policies have on families. I haven't seen that from either side, it's like modern baby kissing.

3. Bush started his "No Child Left Behind" crap here in Texas and it was largely based on his connections with the test administration industry (oh yes, this is an industry). His new law REQUIRES every school district to pay these guys to test your children to make sure that they can pass. No, the teachers aren't bright enough to figure that out. These guys have to do it. Studies have shown that this testing is NOT improving the quality of education, the scores are often incorrect and it costs millions. Here's a link about the TAKS test in Texas
    statesman.com | The high cost of TAKS | Focal Point

4. *snickers*

5. Not exactly. Typically, they're just better at keeping Americans in the dark about their meddling. Republicans have been stirring the pot in the Middle East for eons. There were deals to give Iran nuclear technology back when Ford was president.

6. They do like to kill people... poor and/or brown people especially.

7. This is mostly spin. Even McCain voted against the new G.I. Bill that would give service members benefits closer to the ones he enjoyed. In the last 8 years the military has been rotated in and out of the Middle East at a nauseating pace. Their pay and benefits have been quietly eroded. That and the whole "stop loss" thing that made slaves out of a "volunteer military." Maybe some of the old Republicans were pro-military but the new ones are pro-military industrial complex. The boots on the ground are just numbers. Mission Accomplished?

8. I'm not sure why this is a good thing. They're pro-corporations and unless you're in the top few percent of the population, this is doing you no favors. This stance has lubed the concentration of wealth in the country. In 1950 the top 100 corporations in the U.S. owned 38.9% of all industrial assets, 43 years later it was 75%. Another study showed that 24 of the top 500 corporations in the US paid $0 in taxes in 1998 (that would be under a Dem). Perhaps the most shocking example of the inequality caused by these pro-business policies is this: in the 8 years from '90-'98 the CEO to average worker's pay ratio went from 1:40 to 1:419.

9. Regulations aren't bad. They've just been sold to you as bad. I don't like the idea of some guy being able to see the books of several corporations in the same industry, sell the stocks/bonds related to those businesses and when he finds out about a government policy to limit the worth of those stock/bonds, start a rumor that drives the price through the roof. Sounds a little whacky but google Loomis and the Great Depression. Oh, and of course the deregulation that let us create "financial vehicles" that caused the economic problems that we're bitching about, those don't count...

10. Without arguing the whole welfare state here, I'll just say that when you're unemployed you pay 0% tax

At the end of the day we need to remember a few things about politics and economics.
    1. It is politically expedient for "them" to keep "us" from realizing that we're pretty much the same and want the same things. If we fight, we don't notice while they rob our great-grandchildren.
    2. There is no trickle down. I'm sorry. There isn't.
    3. This is our country, our economy and our future. No one creates magic money, it's based on the work and consumption of everyone. We vote with our dollars, the moral issues are used to keep us distracted from the fact that we're all living on less and everything is made in China.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The smiley is translated by my brain as "this is where I thought I said something funny, but, in reality, it was not."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    6. They do like to kill people... poor and/or brown people especially.
    You lose credibility for everything else you say when you make ridiculous statements like this.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    You lose credibility for everything else you say when you make ridiculous statements like this.
    This I would agree with. There will always be a small radical fringe. But that's exactly what it is, small and radical. This is America. That means something to the rest of the world, it means something to me, and it should mean something to everyone who lives here. We should be thankful and proud for what we have. Look at all the FUBAR'ed countries around the world. Some of their problems make our "economic crisis" look trivial in comparison.