User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The opposite of fiscal responsibility is fiscal irresponsibility. Do you prefer that?
    False dichotomy. What Republicans refer to as "fiscal responsibility" is a specific set of policies aimed at ideological goals. The framing is to make opposing those policies seen as "irresponsible", regardless of what the actual effect of the policies are.

So tell me, rather than using code words and platitudes, what do you mean by fiscal responsibility, and why are those policies a good idea?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I agree. Rabid anti-gun people annoy me, on the grand scale there are such bigger fish to fry, there are so few deaths caused by guns in porportion to other things.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries and 30,694 firearm deaths in the United States during 2000
    National Center for Injury Prevention and Control

Eh, that's pretty substantial. And most "anti-gun" people simply favor gun-control, like requiring people get gun licenses and running a background check. No one is going to bust down yer door and take yer guns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    2. Most can spell simple words and form basic sentences.

Yeah Nixon was great, he might have been racist, but he had great ideas like committing campaign fraud, political espionage and sabotage, illegal break-ins, improper tax audits, illegal wiretapping, and having a laundered slush fund.

This is a strange thread. Are we talking about
    1. People who identify with the Republican party -- too broad to categorize although studies being done across the two parties have shown interesting differences across their constituents. For example, one showed that Republicans tend to see things as more black and white than gray. If I remember correctly, are also more 'feeling' inclined than idea inclined.
    2. The Republican party - its platform. Separate story. There are clearly things there that make sense.
    3. Current Republican leadership -- broad acceptance that the party has been in disarray although it is not uncommon for this sort of crisis mode after a huge loss.
    4. Past Republican presidents?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post

This is a strange thread. Are we talking about
    1. People who identify with the Republican party -- too broad to categorize although studies being done across the two parties have shown interesting differences across their constituents. For example, one showed that Republicans tend to see things as more black and white than gray. If I remember correctly, are also more 'feeling' inclined than idea inclined.
    2. The Republican party - its platform. Separate story. There are clearly things there that make sense.
    3. Current Republican leadership -- broad acceptance that the party has been in disarray although it is not uncommon for this sort of crisis mode after a huge loss.
    4. Past Republican presidents?
    Let's go with #2. The others are all wrapped up in personal opinion, and consequently cannot be debated on their merits without a level of subjectivity that would lead to a lack of consensus, and possibly offended posters.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    This is a strange thread.
    Lostinnerspace is a nonsensical troll.

Mystery solved.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    False dichotomy. What Republicans refer to as "fiscal responsibility" is a specific set of policies aimed at ideological goals. The framing is to make opposing those policies seen as "irresponsible", regardless of what the actual effect of the policies are.
    No, it's not a false dichotomy. Take a step back from the ideology. I'm talking strictly numbers here. Neither party is fiscally responsible right now.

So tell me, rather than using code words and platitudes, what do you mean by fiscal responsibility, and why are those policies a good idea?
    Don't offer something (like medicare, defense, infrastructure) unless you can pay for it. If you can't pay for it, don't pass the buck to future generations through borrowing. Raise taxes.

But we both know politicians don't like to do that, because it's unpopular and they might not get reelected. So they borrow.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No, it's not a false dichotomy. Take a step back from the ideology. I'm talking strictly numbers here. Neither party is fiscally responsible right now.

Don't offer something (like medicare, defense, infrastructure) unless you can pay for it. If you can't pay for it, don't pass the buck to future generations through borrowing. Raise taxes.

But we both know politicians don't like to do that, because it's unpopular and they might not get reelected. So they borrow.
    I disagree with your assessment of that being an ideological statement. Responsibility and irresponsibility are subjective judgments on actions; there is no hard definition of what being responsible is. For example, World War II was funded heavily through deficit spending. Does that mean it was an irresponsible action?

Likewise, many economic theories posit that deficit spending in deflationary periods re-energizes the economy more quickly and allows the accrued deficits to be recouped more easily later than if a fully balanced budget were followed. In their estimation, deficit spending would be the more responsible tack to take. In the absence of hard evidence, what's to say that viewpoint is incorrect?

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There are still a few Republicans like Ron Paul and Jeff Flake who really are for smaller government, fiscal responsibility, non-interventionist foreign policy, etc.
    this. Ron Paul is the best republican of the whole party.
    Their Economic and Gun Control stances are pretty good, but then that's where their policies drop off from pretty good to pure insanity. One of my friends put it to me like this: "It's like a Political Party with generally good stances, but they want to legalize slavery"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

1. Their demographic is a testament to the fact that opposites attract. Somehow the major subcategories of the party remain on the same side of the issues. It is actually amazing.

2. They also all appear to be freshly scrubbed with super-exfoliating loofahs.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP

republican scandals are a lot more funny