User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I disagree that we have to uncritically accept Globalization in its present form. There are several different ways Globalization can manifest itself, and the real issue is which way is best suited for the peoples of the world.
    Integration without assimilation is the key I think. Not sure how to carry it out though.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Integration without assimilation is the key I think. Not sure how to carry it out though.
    There is the process of Acculturation, which pretty much is integration without assimilation. The group in question still maintains its distinct identity, while adapting it to make it more compatible with the wider culture.

MBTI
    INTP

There is the process of Acculturation, which pretty much is integration without assimilation. The group in question still maintains its distinct identity, while adapting it to make it more compatible with the wider culture.
    Haven't heard that term before, but yes that is the idea I am thinking of. The Amish have a system very much like that, where each colony has a slightly different Ordnung (social rules or order). If people in the same colony have a disagreement, the dissidents split with those who agree and form a new one. The host colony maintains it's tradition, the new one adopts the new idea or rule.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Diversity is good for group function.

yes and no, depends on the function. Not every situation will call for diversity.

For practical matters and in general, my standard approach is a participatory leadership style where the group proposes decision, but the leader has the final decision.

I disagree that we have to uncritically accept Globalization in its present form. There are several different ways Globalization can manifest itself, and the real issue is which way is best suited for the peoples of the world.
    We agree then globalization is occuring? and that working with multiple cultures and ethnicities is one of its current consequences?

What about the current form of globalization is upsetting to you? Does the fact that we have to work with multiple cultures and ethnicities as a result upset you?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Another thing to consider is that diversity can benefit a population even when various parts of the population have goals which are at odds with each other. A common example is business competition. It would be to McDonald's advantage if every restaurant was a McDonald's. They would get every customer and could charge higher prices. However it is much more beneficial for society as a whole to have a wide variety of restaurants. McDonald's loses, but everybody else wins.

Likewise it can be beneficial for a species to have genetic diversity even if it causes individual organisms to lose advantages. It can be beneficial for a society to have greater ethnic diversity even if that is detrimental to some members of the society. And so on....
    I think of competition as a functional but inferior means of benefit. Cooperation would be more effective, but does not happen so often simply because human beings are unfortunately predisposed to competition. Consider it evolutionary baggage. As such, in some cases, competition is just the best thing we have, but it can't do much that cooperation wouldn't do better.

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    You don't get very much innovation starting with uniform goals.
    I don't see why. A group of 5 people could easily come up with different ideas for the same goal. There's a huge difference between the subjective question of what is desired, and the objective debate of how best to achieve it. The latter debate alone is all that is necessary for innovation. So, one could take the latter and leave the former, and get all the benefits of innovation without the costs of conflicting goals.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Yes, you are quite right Peguy.

We have had globalization before to an even greater extent than now. And that was before the First World War.

And yes, our first attempt at globalization ended in tears - it ended in the First World War continuing into the Second World War.

And our first attempt at globalization was by Mercantilism, and our second attempt today is also by Mercantilism.

The hallmark of the dominant Mercantile State is the ownership and control of the Reserve Currency of the World. And as you know, the Reserve Currency of the World was gold but now it is the Dollar of the United States of America.

And we are fortunate the Reserve Currency of the World is owned and controlled by the United States of America.

So if we wish the present form of globalization to succeed and not end in nuclear war, we must support the United States of America.

We cross our fingers, but at the moment things are looking good. And when the United States succeeds in building a permanent Moon Base, it will be the equivalent of the Parthenon, a gnomon, visible to the whole Earth, showing the power, success and creativity of American Mercantilism.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I don't see why. A group of 5 people could easily come up with different ideas for the same goal. There's a huge difference between the subjective question of what is desired, and the objective debate of how best to achieve it. The latter debate alone is all that is necessary for innovation. So, one could take the latter and leave the former, and get all the benefits of innovation without the costs of conflicting goals.
    This is where we disagree. I suppose what is innovative is somewhat subjective.

However, plenty of management theory espouses that constructive conflict breeds more creativity, because an even greater range of options are explored.

Changing what problem you work on has a lot more power for innovation than mere changes in method or technique. There are plenty of examples of this in engineering...where people choose the wrong way to divide up labor leading to each chunk being overly costly and inefficient, but rethinking the goals of people lead to much greater efficiency.

The main point is confining the goals from the start restricts the number of options considered. Yes, eventually people need to agree on what they are trying to do. But doing it at the beginning of the process limits creativity severely. Surely you see why fewer options are considered.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think of competition as a functional but inferior means of benefit. Cooperation would be more effective, but does not happen so often simply because human beings are unfortunately predisposed to competition. Consider it evolutionary baggage. As such, in some cases, competition is just the best thing we have, but it can't do much that cooperation wouldn't do better.
    My point isn't that competition is better than cooperation (or vice versa). My point is that sometimes diversity can be both harmful and helpful at the same time. It can be harmful to a part of a group while being helpful to the whole group.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I look around me and I see a Diversity Officer and many students from all parts of the world.

And our government has a policy of Multi-culturalism.

But still the students gather in their ethnic groups and form their own ethnic societies.

So rather than having multi-culturalism, we have plural mono-culturalisms.

We can't resist ethnic cults any more than we can resist the cult of MBTI.

And all this at the tertiary level where we presuppose you have learnt your own culture at the primary and secondary levels and you have come here to transcend it.

But there is no transcendence, no reciprocity, only a greedy grab for a piece of paper that is a ticket into the middle class.

So we are not looking at diversity, we are looking at an atomized society based on the division of labour.

We are not looking at diversity, we are looking at division.

Divide and conquer.
    Yes.
    A diversity is not a unit.
    A division is.