123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Default I've become a non-person!

Last week driving home from work, I got pulled for "improper lane change," meaning I didn't signal before I changed lanes. When the cop ran my driver's license, it came back suspended. I had such a hissy fit of disbelief that he called for backup, because there is absolutely nothing illegal about my car and no reason for a suspension. He took my license anyway. He said if I was telling him the truth, then I just had to go to the DMV the next day and explain to them why the suspension was in error, and they would give me another license. He allowed me to call friends to come and get me, one to drive my car back to my place and one to drive me home. He made me swear I wouldn't drive my car, and he and his buddy cop left me standing there on the side of the road in the dark by myself for the about half an hour it took for my friends to get there.

Next day I went to the DMV and the snafu was about my previous car. They had me as still owning that car, on which the insurance had lapsed. I was able to prove to them that I turned that car in to the dealership and drove off the lot with another one, and there was never any lapse in insurance because I called Geico before I left the dealer's lot and dropped the old car and added the new one. I also went online and filled out the screen to report a sold car. I received letters from the DVS warning that if I drove that car without insurance, I would get in trouble, but since I didn't own the car anymore and was not driving it at all, much less uninsured, I didnt' think the letters applied to me. So anyway, the DMV said yeah, I can see that you sold the car on the same day you bought the new one, so you're right, this suspension is in error. It will cost you $85 administrative charge and we will lift the suspension, so I paid it. Then the clerk said to me, "You no longer have a suspended license, but you are not yet a licensed driver, because you have to prove your legal presence." I'm like, wtf... She asked if I had a birth certificate. I did. My friend drove me back to my house and I picked up my birth certificate, the deed to my condo, my tax returns, my votor registration card, my social security card, my two final decrees of divorce, everything I could think of. She looked through all that and said she needed the marriage certificate from my first marriage. I said I don't think I ever even saw it. I don't have it. She said without that, she could not trace how I went from Jane Smith to Jane Johnson. I said well, by marrying John Johnson, obviously, right? I mean, I had to have been married to him to get a legal divorce from him? She said yes but your divorce decree doesn't mention your former name, so this doesn't track.

She gave me the phone number of the North Carolina Vital Statistics (because although both of us were Virginia citizens, we were married in Elizabeth City, NC). NC said they would be glad to expedite getting my marriage license to me -- it would take 10 days to process my request, after which time it would be sent to me via UPS. I'm like, 10 days is not expediting ... it takes almost 2 hours each way to get back and forth to work on the bus and the subway, so you're saying it's going to be at least two weeks before I even have a prayer of getting my license back.

So I called the governor's office in Virginia and said I was born in Virginia on a military base in a miltiary hospital to an active duty American father and his wife, both of whose families have been here since the 1700s and further, if you count the fact that we intermarried with Indians, because one of the first of my ancestors to come here was a Presbyterian deacon who wanted to teach the Indians to read so they could read the Bible and become Christians; I'm a descendant of Daniel Boone, for pete's sake ... I have had a driver's license in Virginia continuously for 30-some years with all my name changes from my two marriages with no problem whatsoever, and all of a sudden now you don't know me and I have to prove that I am in the United States legally.

It's not just that I can't drive my car (that I just renewed the plates on and got inspected). It's that I can't transact business at my own bank without an ID, and many stores also ask for a picture ID when you offer your credit card. I can't get a passport because I don't have a driver's license, so I can't go anywhere. I am in limbo. I am a non-person, someone who cannot prove her legal presence in the State of Virginia.

What do you think, has it all gone a little too far?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow, yes, I'd say so.

They actually expect you to hold on to ALL of that stuff? That's completely unreasonable.

I have to admit, I've never been asked for an ID when purchasing anything. I only had to show the bank an ID when setting up my account, and from then on all I needed was my ATM card.

I think it sounds like wherever you live, they're taking it too far. They shouldn't be able to insist on your providing a marriage certificate. The other stuff might be bearable, but that's absurd.

Perhaps I'm just lucky I live in Texas... the most I've ever been asked for is a State ID and a Social Security number. Maybe way too many things get tied up together when marriage and driving become involved, and it suddenly becomes more complicated.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    It will cost you $85 administrative charge and we will lift the suspension, so I paid it.
    Their error, yet you had to pay it, WTF?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Another wonderful example of absolute power corrupting absolutely. They do because they can.

I also agree with Quinlan. Their mistake and you have to pay for it. Ridiculous.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm out $145 and nothing to show for it, between the administrative fee and ordering the marriage certificate copy. I read yesterday on the DMV website where they are not giving you your driver's license at the same time you go get your picture taken and all. They mail it to you. So who knows how long it's going to be.

MBTI
    infp

Wow, this reminds me of a movie, although I can't place which movie.

That really sucks. I know it's not going to speed things along for you, but is there a complaints procedure? I would be looking to get my money back from them since it's their error.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Wow, this reminds me of a movie, although I can't place which movie.

That really sucks. I know it's not going to speed things along for you, but is there a complaints procedure? I would be looking to get my money back from them since it's their error.
    The one with Sandra Bullock!

And that really sucks, Tilty. I deal with these kinds of stupidity almost on a daily bases. There's just no respect anymore for people, we're just a number in a computer. If it gets misplaced, no one cares.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP

I bet they still expect you to pay taxes though.

In my real-life experience there are two kinds of Americans: Bureaucrats and everyone else. I've never encountered the kind of openly unfriendly bureaucrats who were so absolutely unwilling to go even slightly out of their way to help you as I found in America. In fact, some of them seemed to go out of their way to obstruct me. Which was a big shock, since it was so contrary to all my other experiences of Americans.

Phantonym

Wow, Tiltyred. Your thread just reminded me of all the things I should check on my list:
    1. Never get a driver's license
    2. Never buy a car
    3. No diddling with any kind of insurance company/or any kind of company for that matter
    4. Avoid documents of any kind
    5. Never meet people in person if you have to present documents
    6. Never get married/change your name
    7. If you do get married you'd better stick to it forever
    8. Move far away from people
    9. Oh and yeah, never be born. Whoops, too late

Bureaucracy :rolli:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I ordered a 19" flat screen tv from Walmart online and had it sent to the store, and I can't even go pick up mah tv from the Walmart without an ID.